• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can You Help Me Out?

Runt

A couple days ago my dog was killed by a neighbor's free-roaming dog. All my neighbors have the habit of letting their dogs run free, despite repeated complaints. I am sending all the houses on my street and the one next to it a letter urging them to keep their dogs in their yard. I was a little angry when I wrote it, but I edited it. However, I'm still not sure it is "good enough" to send out. So, what do you think? Is it a little too patronizing? Too soft and kind? Too mushy? Anything that doesn't make sense? Glaring grammatical errors? Other? Please help; I'm sending it out this afternoon...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear neighbors,

Yesterday morning a member of my family was killed. My little dog Data slipped out of the yard when I went to feed the horses, and disappeared. My sister and I searched the yard and street for her, but to no avail. Yesterday afternoon my mother received a call; a small white dog had been found under a bush three houses away, the back of her neck and shoulder torn away. This was the result of a vicious attack by another dog, and a considerably larger dog by the size of the wound. We have buried her under the rose bushes in our backyard.

Free-roaming domestic dogs can be predatory killers. Your loose dog is not only a danger to other animals, but seriously in jeopardy himself. He can be hit by a car, maimed or killed by another dog, or, in our neighborhood, stepped on or kicked to death by horses.

I am heartsick that my beloved friend has died because someone out there refuses to understand that dogs cannot be allowed to run free. Please fix your fences so your dogs don’t get out! My Data is not the only dog to have been killed, and unless something is done, she will not be the last one to die in this fashion. On Christmas a loose dog attacked a baby poodle down the street, and for months there have been “Lost Dog” signs posted on our street. Which one of these lost dogs will kill, or be killed, next? Which ones have already been killed without our knowledge?

Keep your dog on your own property. It’s not just common sense, common courtesy, or compassion; it’s the law. “Maricopa County's leash law prohibits you from allowing your dog to run at large outside your property at any time. Your dog must be confined to your home or property, either inside the home or within an enclosed yard. When you take your dog outside of its confined area, it must be restrained on a leash that is no longer than six feet in length.” http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/lost_pets.asp#stray

If you are a dog owner, the solution must start with you. Contain your dogs on your own property. If you see a loose dog, call Animal Control at 644-2211. Such an action will not only protect your own pets, but can potentially prevent the death of someone else’s beloved friend and companion.

If you can't be compassionate enough to care about the welfare of your neighbors and their beloved pets, at least show enough concern for your own dog not to put it at risk. This was the first time my Data got out of the yard and it’s extremely sad and unfortunate that she died this way.

Lightkeeper

Hi Runt, my sympathies and good wishes to you in your time of loss. I would put a "please" in front of Keep you dog in your own yard. I would also not use the last paragraph.

Runt

Thanks Lightkeeper. She was a wonderful little dog. We had seven dogs before she died and she was the only one I considered mine... obviously I don't want any of the dogs to die... but why her?

Thanks also for the advice. I'll do that.

Runt, that is so sad--my sympathies. I hope you are doing ok. If one of my two golden retreivers died, I would be very sad. I love my dogs despite how stupid and smelly they are. Aww... :love:

Pah

Uber all member
One you loved has died and I offer my deepest sympathies. The grief you will go through is no less than for a member of your human family. I am sorry you will have to bear the loss and the pain. Keep Data in your heart where he or she already resides.

Your letter is a good step in the grieving process. I very much like the idea of warning instead of recrimination. May it work for you and for your neighbors.

Runt

Thank you. This morning as I was driving down my street after class I saw two dogs running up the street. I couldn't help thinking that one of them could have been the one that killed my dog, but I couldn't get summon anger toward them; all I could think was that one of them, or both, might suffer a similar fate as my dog. As angry as I am that my dog was taken from me, I wouldn't want another pet owner to suffer the same loss. So I took my own advice and called Animal Control. They're on their way right now.

Master Vigil

I'm so sorry runt. I've lost 4 dogs and a cat in my life time. But none like that. My aunts dog was playing and then suddenly had a heart attack and died instantly. That really struck me hard. I hope you are ok, and I will ask the spirits to look over you and your other dogs.

anders

I had a lovely Irish setter. She died from a blood disease, only some three years old. It took well over a year before I could speak to anyone of it without crying. That was about five years ago, and now I find it hard to see my screen now through tears when thinking of her. I sympathise with you on your loss of a family member. That way of losing must be even worse.

I think that you are strong enough to handle your grief. Don't blame yourself for letting her slip away. I have had some close calls with other dogs risking traffic accidents, and know that such things happen.

Your letter is good, but I agree that the last para. should be left out.

Tualha

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost two cats in my life, and I have one who the thought of him dying makes me cry sometimes. If you need to talk ot anything, you can PM me.

I think your letter is a WONDERFUL idea. My only suggestion is that you edit or take out the last paragraph.

Runt

LMAO, it has been done.

My older sister saw me crying and the way she looked at me... it was as if she was angry. It was like her attitude was, "it's just a dog! Why are you whining!" :mad:

Runt

None at all. Nobody will come forward and admit that their dog was running loose that morning... and my family hasn't gone around demanding answers. I suspect that if the letter gets any kind of response, it will be completely silent--a neighbor down the street who owns dogs has started putting up some fencing in an area where his gate provides an opening for his dogs to escape, but whether he is doing this in response to the letter or for other reasons, I simply don't know.