• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you get to the highest level of heaven without being married in an LDS temple ???

Aqualung

Tasty
Eternal progression consists of living the kind of life God lives and of increasing in kingdoms and dominions everlastingly.
Is this a limited gift, then, only given to those who inherit the celestial kingdom?

SoyLeche

meh...
Is this a limited gift, then, only given to those who inherit the celestial kingdom?
I have no idea. There may be some type of "progression" in other kingdoms as well, but it will be within the kingdom. I'm not sure what it would entail either.

As for progression between death and Final Judgement, I would assume that this period is really an 'extention' of mortal life - the "time of preparation" being from Birth to Final Judgement. I'm not sure I can back that up though.

FFH

Veteran Member
SoyLeche,

Great quote from Bruce R. McConkie, post 158, I could hear him in my mind say those words as if he were still alive..

FFH

Veteran Member
How does that fit in with the doctrine of eternal progression?
That quote was one of the best I've read, it's so important for all to read and understand what he's saying.

There is no progression in the Telestial or Terrestrial worlds, only in the Celestial kingdom...

if we want to be exalted in the Celestial kingdom, we must enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage in this life if we have the chance. There won't be any second chances if we had a proper chance on earth to enter into this covenant..

It's THE most important thing anyone could ever do in this life, everything else is secondary...

What could be more important to our eternal happiness than to obey this law and enter into it, so that we will be assured of a fullness of joy in the next life.

There is absolutely nothing more important to strive for in this life, above education, wealth, houses, possessions, etc.....

FFH

Veteran Member
Yes

Most who have intelligence like yours are so full of themselves that they think they don't need any religion.

Intelligence and wisdom together is very rare in my opinion. You have both, you've chosen the right religion, the spirit must have touched you at some deep level, independent of what others might have been trying to get you to believe about the LDS religion...

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Hasn't the prophet told young men that their priorities should be mission, marriage, then education. Or was it mission, education, then marriage. I forget.

FFH

Veteran Member
How come I always get in on the end of all the good topics?:sad4:
Well, most seem to call it a night by this time, we are just night owls I guess..

I work three 12 hour shifts so I can't do much until now, monday through wednesday..

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
I thought we are to be judged on what we do and not on what we would have done given different circumstances. What is the point of living this life at all if we can just be judged on what might have been? Why the double-standard?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I thought we are to be judged on what we do and not on what we would have done given different circumstances. What is the point of living this life at all if we can just be judged on what might have been? Why the double-standard?

I think it's more that we will be judged on what we did and what our potential is. If we do our best to fulfill our potential then I think that we will be judged favorably.

FFH

Veteran Member
Hasn't the prophet told young men that their priorities should be mission, marriage, then education. Or was it mission, education, then marriage. I forget.
Yes, missions are important and wonderful experiences, but they won't get you into the Celestial kingdom, no matter how many people you convert on a mission..

Education is important too, but still that won't get you into the Celestial kingdom either..

Get married in the temple, if you don't go on a mission first, which all worthy males should do, it's just not going to get anyone into the Celestial kingdom...

I wouldn't trade my missionary experiences for anything in this world, it was great, especially because I was in Japan and really loved that, could not have chosen a better place for me to serve. The Lord knows me all too well, even got to see all the various parts of Japan I wanted to see, like the major cities in Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Fuji City, it's as if It was my second home. I luuuuvvvvv that place...

But still it takes a back seat to my marriage with my wife and nothing will ever be more important than that, but we should share this great restored gospel of Jesus Christ with others so that we will have joy in heaven..

"If it so be that ye should labor all your days and bring but one sould unto me, how great shall be your joy in the kingdom of my Father".

I know scripture, just not the references and too tired to look it up..

FFH

Veteran Member
God is an extremely merciful God. If you read the Book of Mormon there were those who had become cannibals basically and God said, "My hand is stretched out still"...

There will be plenty of opportunity for us to do what God has layed out before us, but most will flat out reject all the principles and ordinances of this restored gospel..

No biggy, God will still be god if we reject him. His happiness is already a done deal, he only wants us to share in his "fullness of joy".

I was allowed to feel this fullness of joy for a split second it seemed but will never forget it, it's worth fighting for at all costs...

HEAVEN IS NOT BORING AND IT"S DEFINITELY WORTH FIGHTING FOR>...

I've heard the sounds of heaven for split senond also and so did my wife, when I asked her, while sitting in sacrament meeting on Mother's day, for some reason, and hearing that alone was reason enough for me to continue to make the necessary sacrifices..

FFH

Veteran Member
I think it's more that we will be judged on what we did and what our potential is. If we do our best to fulfill our potential then I think that we will be judged favorably.
Yes, exactly, I agree...

Just do our best, that's all God asks and get married in the temple of course, but a lot goes along with that, like paying tithing, going to church, posting on RF :yes:...etc. etc...

Didn't you know you also have to be a member of RF, and in good standing, to get to heaven ???

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Yes I must also agree that eternally marriage is more important than a mission. However young men should go on missions before getting married.

FFH

Veteran Member
Surely God will have mercy on a child, for instance, who was molested by a father for years, which cause her great bitterness towards men and subsequently did not marry in this life because of this..

God is a merciful God and he can see into our hearts and will reward us accordingly, if things did not work in favor for us in this life...

The sin will be on the parent's head for sure...and that child/person will stand gultless before God and be allowed to progress to the highest level of the Celestial kingdom if they so choose and meet all the necessary rwquirements.

God judges the desires of our hearts (thoughts), words and actions

jonny

It was missions, marriage then education. I remember telling my mom that I'd learned that in Seminary and she said, "Don't you dare get married before you're done with college." All her kids took it to heart, and she's regretting it now. :D

FFH

Veteran Member
Yes I must also agree that eternally marriage is more important than a mission. However young men should go on missions before getting married.
Yes, no disagreements there, but if someone chooses not to go, God will in no way condemn that person..

There is too much condemnation among members in the church in my opinion...

Marriage is most important, not a mission...

Problem is, there is so much focus on missions that if a young man does not go he is shunned and seems to bag the church alltogether and that's just not right...

Missions are not the most important thing in this life, marriage and family are...

FFH

Veteran Member
It was missions, marriage then education. I remember telling my mom that I'd learned that in Seminary and she said, "Don't you dare get married before you're done with college." All her kids took it to heart, and she's regretting it now. :D
Thanks for clarifying that for us...

I was pretty sure marriage was a priority over finishing college...I mean get married then finish college...

I did mission, then education (one year at the "U") and then got married and never went back to college... My wife went to BYU for two years..

We have survived without college, it's not absolutely necessary if you don't have kids like us...

We have enough money...our situation is a bit different..

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Yes, no disagreements there, but if someone chooses not to go, God will in no way condemn that person..

There is too much condemnation among members in the church in my opinion...

Marriage is most important, not a mission...

Problem is, there is so much focus on missions that if a young man does not go he is shunned and seems to bag the church alltogether and that's just not right...

Missions are not the most important thing in this life, marriage and family are...

I agree with that for the most part. I also agree that members should not shun or look down upon anyone for not going. However, I do believe that if a young man chooses not to go or even does go but then doesn't serve the best he can then he will be held accountable for those people that he refused to share the gospel with. So I think there will be deep regret and sorrow at the judgement day, on the part of a young man who doesn't go on a mission. But we should not condemn them since they are accountable to God and not us. And we should not judge them.

Whoa, I just had dejavu.

FFH

Veteran Member
I agree with that for the most part. I also agree that members should not shun or look down upon anyone for not going. However, I do believe that if a young man chooses not to go or even does go but then doesn't serve the best he can then he will be held accountable for those people that he refused to share the gospel with. So I think there will be deep regret and sorrow at the judgement day, on the part of a young man who doesn't go on a mission. But we should not condemn them since they are accountable to God and not us. And we should not judge them.

Whoa, I just had dejavu.
Uh, God is not that condemning at all...

Mary Magdalene is a perfect example of God's eternal mercies....

Read or listen to the Book of Mormon on audio on the LDS.org sight, I mean read the 30 hours it takes in as little time as you can and the spirit of that book and God's mercies shine forth very very strongly...

God is an extremely merciful God...

There were some extremely wicked people who repented and were counted worthy to stand before him...

"My hand is stretched out still"..