• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you get to the highest level of heaven without being married in an LDS temple ???

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
FFH, I agree God is merciful God. That is why that even if a certain young man doesn't go on a mission the people he would have taught will still be taught. But the scripture says that if we bring save it be one soul unto Christ we will have joy. But if we bring many souls unto him we shall have even greater joy. This isn't saying missionares who have more baptisms are better or will recieve a greater reward. It is mearly saying they will have more joy. A person who doesnt go on a mission wil not be kept from the celestial kingdom because of that. They will simply not have the joy of reuniting with a person they taught or baptised. I do believe that God knows certain people will have an effect on certain other people. That is one reason Missionaries go to whatever mission they are assigned. A certain missionary may have a quality that would spark intrest in another person and open the door for them to recieve the gospel. I don't think that it is limited to one person though, becuase it is the Gospel that is the focus not the missionaries). But I digress, my point is I would rather meet someone at judgment day and be reunited in happiness because I played a part in sharing the gospel with them. Rather than meet someone and feel sorrow because I needed to share the gospel with them.

I also believe in the story where the two friends are leaving the pre-mortal life, one being born into an LDS family and the other not. And the one being born into an LDS family say, "I wil come find you." I'm sure that happened many times to many of us. Now imagine if that LDS born person decided not to go one a mission and then met his friend on the other side. I can imagine the sorrow one would feel for not fulfilling his promise simple because he didn't want to serve a mission.

But then this topic is about eternal marriage. Sorry for the off topic post.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Yes I must also agree that eternally marriage is more important than a mission. However young men should go on missions before getting married.

So they are doing something wrong by choosing not to go on a mission? How about if a young man truly feels it is not right for him to go on a mission as it might do him more harm then good? (Not trying to offend, truly curious what you think)

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
So they are doing something wrong by choosing not to go on a mission? How about if a young man truly feels it is not right for him to go on a mission as it might do him more harm then good? (Not trying to offend, truly curious what you think)

No offense taken. From what I understand it is a commandment for all worthy young men to serve missions. If they don't then they are not living that commandment. BUt that is not to say that every young man must go regardless. I'm sure there are many cases where a young man is physicaly or mentally unable to serve.But my opinion is that It is a commandment to go. It is between the youngman the church leaders(aka bishop) and the Lord if a young man will serve or not. I have no right to judge a young man who choses not to serve a mission. I won't do that. I would be disappointed because I know that they will have missed a great opportunity, but I will not look down upon them or condemn them.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm sure there are many cases where a young man is physicaly or mentally unable to serve.B.

I am not talking about a physical or mental ability, this is a young man who chose not to go because he was not prepared, and knew that he could not be prepared and instead chose to get married instead because he prayed about it and felt that, that diecision was the best. This young man had people tell him he would never be a worthy husband and father and could not take his young wife through the temple if he didn't go on a mission. His bishop also told him that he was more likely to get divorced if he didn't go on a mission and many people told him he was a bad person for not going. It was his choice, but I don't think that there will be any judgment upon him for not going on a mission.

Another question, where is it the commandment for young men to go on a mission?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I am not talking about a physical or mental ability, this is a young man who chose not to go because he was not prepared, and knew that he could not be prepared and instead chose to get married instead because he prayed about it and felt that, that diecision was the best. This young man had people tell him he would never be a worthy husband and father and could not take his young wife through the temple if he didn't go on a mission. His bishop also told him that he was more likely to get divorced if he didn't go on a mission and many people told him he was a bad person for not going. It was his choice, but I don't think that there will be any judgment upon him for not going on a mission.

Another question, where is it the commandment for young men to go on a mission?

Well in the above case again it is between the youngman the church leaders and the Lord. Obviously the Bishop was not doing the right thing. That is he sounds more like he was representing his own opinion rather than being a Judge in Isreal. But then i don't know what actually was said. But thos epeople who condemned him for not going on a mission were wrong. It is not their place to say those things. They have no right to judge. I'm not in a position to say what God's judgment will be for him. Afterall he will not be judged according to what someone else did. All I can say about that is that in my experience as a missionary. I know I wasn't the best missionary I could have been. I won't give details but I'm sure I will be held accountable for those people I didn't teach. Will it keep me from entering the celestial kingdom? I hope not. I only pray that I can be forgiven.

The commandment to go on a mission. I'm sure I heard that in conference at one point from the Prophet.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I'll try. Maybe it's just one of those things I thought I heard while I was a half awake teacher during th Preisthood session. Hehehe.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'll try. Maybe it's just one of those things I thought I heard while I was a half awake teacher during th Preisthood session. Hehehe.

That's not a problem, but as I recall a few conferences ago (I think it was President Monson) they said that they were raising the bar for missionaries, so if you look at it now, not every young man will be able to go. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
That's not a problem, but as I recall a few conferences ago (I think it was President Monson) they said that they were raising the bar for missionaries, so if you look at it now, not every young man will be able to go. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yes that's true. That is why I said I remember hearing that every worthy young man is commanded to serve a mission.

I can't find any place that I can search the conference talks.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Yes that's true. That is why I said I remember hearing that every worthy young man is commanded to serve a mission.

I can't find any place that I can search the conference talks.

You should be able to do that on the Church's website. From what I've heard it is strongly recommended to go on a mission, but not a commandment. :shrug:

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
THis is what i found on the church's website:

After His Resurrection, the Lord commanded His disciples to "go . . . and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19). In fulfillment of this command, able young men in the Church have a duty to prepare spiritually, physically, and emotionally to serve as full-time missionaries. Single women and mature couples also have the opportunity to serve full-time missions.

I guess I could see that as a commandment. But I'm not goin to think badly of someone who doesn't go. Is it a commandment? I thought so but maybe not. If not then I stand corrected.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I guess I could see that as a commandment. But I'm not goin to think badly of someone who doesn't go. Is it a commandment? I thought so but maybe not. If not then I stand corrected.

Maybe we should start a thread on the differences between a duty and a commandment. ;)

Popeyesays

It's this whole "levels in paradise" thin I find nonsensical.

Surely we don't have to worry about 'class-rankings' in the after life.

I don't think that heaven is the end of spiritual development either, mind you, but I doubt there is a Heavenly Stanford-Binet test involved either.

How do you get a #2 pencil into heaven?

regards,
Scott

Aqualung

Tasty
It's this whole "levels in paradise" thin I find nonsensical.

Surely we don't have to worry about 'class-rankings' in the after life.

I don't think that heaven is the end of spiritual development either, mind you, but I doubt there is a Heavenly Stanford-Binet test involved either.

How do you get a #2 pencil into heaven?

regards,
Scott

Why would I take a number two pencil to heaven? We're having the test now.

Popeyesays

Why would I take a number two pencil to heaven? We're having the test now.

In a way, I could not agree more. This life is a test. But i consider it a middle-school test, and higher education awaits us in the next world.

Is it still policy in mainstream LDS that those who convert cannot get married in the Temple unless it is by proxy?

Regards,
Scott

Bishka

Veteran Member
Is it still policy in mainstream LDS that those who convert cannot get married in the Temple unless it is by proxy?

In Heaven or on earth?

If you convert in this life it has always been policy you can be married/sealed in the Temple, never has been otherwise.

Popeyesays

In Heaven or on earth?

If you convert in this life it has always been policy you can be married/sealed in the Temple, never has been otherwise.

When I was 15, I was the only non-mormon member of an explorer Post in the Boy Scouts.

That was back in the day of the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis, of course, but I was told in answer to a question that those who had converted could not be married in the Temple except by proxy.

Perhaps they were wrong. There seems to be a lot of Kitab'i hearsay in the LDS-at least back then.

It was also still policy that blacks did not get to exercise their priesthood functions because it was implied they bore the mark of Cain on their skin.

That has been corrected for sure, and should be commended.

Regards,
Scott

Bishka

Veteran Member
When I was 15, I was the only non-mormon member of an explorer Post in the Boy Scouts.

That was back in the day of the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis, of course, but I was told in answer to a question that those who had converted could not be married in the Temple except by proxy.

Perhaps they were wrong.

That is definitely wrong, as long as you are a worthy member of the LDS Church you can be married in the temple.

Aqualung

Tasty
In a way, I could not agree more. This life is a test. But i consider it a middle-school test, and higher education awaits us in the next world.
I think of it like the SATs. How you do on the SATs (this life) will determine which college you go to to earn that higher education.

Regards,
Scott
I've never heard that one. That would be weird, since such a huge number of mormons are converts. In fact, one lesson given to hopeful converts and recent converts is preparing for a temple marriage.

nutshell

Converts have always been allowed to marry in the temple. Otherwise, temple marriage wouldn't have started until the 2nd generation of Mormons came to be. That definetly wasn't the case.