• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you define your god?

EverChanging

Really?

Every day, millions of people seem to have no problem perceiving traffic lights and traffic signs the same way.

Hmm, wonder why that is?
Humans appear to have similar perceptions, but people do not perceive reality in quite the same way. This is why astronomical calculations differ amongst different people, for different brains take slightly different amounts of time to process information, and that's not even going into phenomena like synesthesia.

As for perceptions of God or the divine, this is an exercise in poetry and subjective experiences. Mystics have been making similar statements about this for thousands of years. They describe similar experiences, concepts, and God-perceptions, which probably has something to do with humans all possessing the same type of brain and nervous system, not to mention similar meditation and prayer techniques that cross religious lines.

Unfortunately, both fundamentalists and some skeptics, who appear to be ignorant of religious history, are constantly seeking to make religious experiences and religion itself objective. They are not. Religions that sprang up in pre-modern times emerged in a time when reason and logical precision were not the dominant modes of perception, and mythos and logos had separate, yet complementary domains.

This is why even similar god-concepts differ, why the mystics say that God cannot be put into words, or that God is "Nothing," or speak of God in paradoxical language. It is speech about an inner world, not the world "out there." And mystics have been saying this for thousands of years.

Edit: I should add that in the last paragraph, I am probably slipping into duality, but that is the easiest way for me to explain it concisely.

Last edited:

EverChanging

What are "astronomical calculations"?

An astronomical calculation would be, for example, determining the position of a star at a certain time of night, etc. Friedrich Bessel (1782 - 1846) is the first person to systematically study these differences in calculations (and thus differing perceptions). This is partly what Mathematical Psychology is about. You can read more about it here.

EverChanging

How does that tie into the OP?

It is a bit of a tangent I went on to explain my point about different perceptions related to astronomical calculations, as the point seemed to have been raised about why we perceive reality in a similar way. I added that while it is similar based on having similar brains and nervous systems, there are differences and brought up the point about calculations based on observation differing due to variances in our perceptual reality.

This is tied in with differing perceptions of God or religious experiences. Often, religious experiences are similar. Mystics describe similar concepts and perceptions, just as those undergoing near-death experiences do, and yet there are differences; the similarities are probably related to our similar nervous systems.

Describing such experiences is more of an art, as anyone who underwent one will tell you words are inadequate.

Thus, I was bringing up astronomy to highlight that we do, indeed, perceive differently from one another.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Really?

Every day, millions of people seem to have no problem perceiving traffic lights and traffic signs the same way.

Hmm, wonder why that is?

I'm not sure that I understand why you think that perceiving something as simple as traffic lights compares with perception of entire Existence/Reality.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure you understand my point.

What I interpreted is that people do not have trouble perceiving traffic lights because they actually see/experience the traffic lights, and the traffic lights come with clear rules and descriptions/definitions.

My point is that I do not think that it is a fair comparison, considering that when some people speak of God, we are talking about existence itself- all features and characteristics. It is easy to treat traffic lights objectively- but something as expansive and infinite as God is something to perceive in a very subjective manner.

Did I misunderstand you?

EddyM

What attributes, physical or otherwise does your god/higher being/ whateves, possess? Is he a man/woman/thing? Is he subjective/objective? What is he?

my Father.;)

who is the Father of everyone, the difference is I found and relate to Him. If you want you can copy me too. But don't start complaining... my Father doesnt like anyone who bullies His sons. And we tend to be weak in many areas(which is our own fault of course because we love Him so much that we tend to focus only on everything we can to reach Him and doing so neglect other areas of development) save those that are necessary for knowing and serving Him. Which happens to be the main reasons why most people who don't like us find for their dislike.:areyoucra

Last edited:

The Wizard

The beliefs of God is a primary Creator of my life and experience of the Universe. The all source of everything of goodness that listens to and protects as much as possible. The mysterious patterns of goodness, which cannot be fully explained or controlled by mankind or put in a box... becouse it works mysteriously... always... the mysterious patterns of goodness that exist with which is on my side through believing it and then experiencing the effects of that belief, which is good, lol... IMO.

Last edited: