• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you answer this question?

What is your religion?

• Christianity

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Islam

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Polytheistic religion

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Welcome to RF Rick. Merry Christmas!

I don't really identity with any of your poll options, I'm more of a deist. But monotheism seems more reasonable to me because it is simpler. Fewer God images to explain.

I don't pretend to know what is true though. I just believe what is most credible to me.

Tom

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
None of the above.

The question in the OP: Isn't that like asking "If you are democrat, why aren't you republican?" The answer is simple - because the person simply doesn't agree with it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Because monotheism precludes polytheism.

Out of curiosity, how does that make it wrong? This is like saying that since someone is a male, and being male precludes being female, that being female is therefore wrong. It does not seem to me that preclusion implies wrongness.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
If you believe in a monotheistic belief, how is a polytheistic belief wrong?
Peace be on you.
A- Ahmadiyya Muslim
B- To me, polytheism [polytheism definition. The belief in more than one god] is wrong because:

----- All universe is binded by set of harmonious laws it means One God. If there were gods, each one must have had its own agenda or obedience to other god which would have make lesser god useless.

----- One God accepts prayers and shows Signs, gods do not do that.

----- One God teaches morals by revelations that what is virtue and what is sin. Polytheist has no such facility.

----- True belief in One International God is acceptable to all people. National gods are not.

----- One true God speaks as He said:
Holy Quran [ch3:v19] Allah bears witness that there is no God but He — and also do the angels and those possessed of knowledge — Maintainer of justice; there is no God but He, the Mighty, the Wise.

---- Unity of God is original, then people get corrupted and make their wishes internal and external gods. Each Prophet was sent to remind people Unity of God.

Holy Quran
[31:14] And remember when Luqman said to his son while exhorting him, ‘O my dear son! associate not partners with Allah. Surely, associating partners with God is a grievous wrong.’

[14:36] And remember when Abraham said, ‘My Lord, make this city a city of peace, and keep me and my children away from worshipping idols.

[26:29] Moses said, ‘The Lord of the East and of the West, and of all that is between the two, if you did but understand.’

[3:52] Jesus said, ‘Surely, Allah is my Lord and your Lord; so worship Him: this is the right path.’

Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was greatest champion of Unity of God:
[40:67] Say, ‘I have been forbidden to worship those whom you call upon beside Allah since there have come unto me clear proofs from my Lord; and I have been commanded to submit myself to the Lord of the worlds.’

[6:164] ‘He has no partner. And so am I commanded, and I am the first of those who submit.’

Ahmadiyya Muslim Promised Messiah (a.s.) said:
Please see the note 10:
.library.books.Barahin-e-Ahmadiyya-Parts1-2_143.png

Source: Barahin e Ahmadiyya

-

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think it's virtually impossible to determine objectively whether monotheism, polytheism, or atheism is correct, and some of us don't take a position on this one way or another.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Out of curiosity, how does that make it wrong? This is like saying that since someone is a male, and being male precludes being female, that being female is therefore wrong. It does not seem to me that preclusion implies wrongness.
Not to speak for him or anything, but the way I interpreted it I agree with him.

Saying someone is a male precludes that same someone being female.

If person X believes in monotheism, polytheism is precluded to them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So you agree that if something precludes another thing, it is therefore wrong? I'm just not seeing the logic in that.

allfoak

Alchemist
Polytheism is not wrong, just incomplete.
All is essentially one,
So polytheism is just seeing the many in the one.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Polytheism is not wrong, just incomplete.
All is essentially one,
So polytheism is just seeing the many in the one.
So, in theory, there should be a thread asking the question, "If you are a polytheist, why is monotheism wrong?" And perhaps, "If you're agnostic, why are monotheism and polytheism wrong?":p

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Well then, to me, taking a stand that I respect ALL beliefs in an easy cop out to avoid discussion.
I'm a Christian, ergo monothiest. Is polytheism worng. Most definately it's wrong.
I'm a Christian you see, one God. It's what I am taught, what I believe, what else would you expect from a Christian or Islamic?????????????????????????????
What do you want? What answer are you looking for? Do you expect Islamics and Christians, & Jews, to bless anyone believing in many gods?
We three Abrahamic based religions do not accept the notion of many dieties, nor do we accept the notion of worshipping idols. I don't care of the Catholics bow down to a statue, to me that is also wrong.
Let Catholics do what they feel they need to do but I feel it ain't right.
Are you a polythiest looking for people to give you blessings and support?
You will find blessings and support here for almost any belief.
To thyne own self be true. With serious research and study of course.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If you are a monotheist, then you by logical necessity reject polytheism. I'm not implying anything about the truth of the two propositions. That's you reading into me.

I was trying to imply the meaninglessness of the question if anything.

allfoak

Alchemist
There are many gods because people choose to have many gods.
It matters not at all what other faiths judge to be right or wrong.
It is what it is.

There are 8 billion different perspectives in the world on what is right and wrong.
There are no wrong perspectives just incomplete perspectives.
Not one of us know it all, so not one of us have a complete perspective on life.
It is like one person standing on the roof of a tall building and another person standing on the ground floor.
They are going to see things much differently.
The one on the roof can see that there is an accident a mile up the road, while the person on the ground floor has some idea that something may have happened somewhere up the road because they saw the emergency vehicles drive by.

Life is not about right and wrong; we are told thou shall not judge.
It is about helping each other complete our perspectives to become whole and at-one-ment.

Daler

Coming from a Sioux Indian Reservation where their belief in Wakan Tanka, was that there was a single Great Spirit. By western definititions and terms, this would be monotheism

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are a monotheist, then you by logical necessity reject polytheism. I'm not implying anything about the truth of the two propositions. That's you reading into me.

I was trying to imply the meaninglessness of the question if anything.

Fair enough. It is worth noting, though, that both soft/inclusive monotheism and polytheism exist. I find the question meaningless mostly because neither is right or wrong; both are maps of territory and represent preferences.