• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you answer my riddle?

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
A human egg is fertilized January 1, 2000, at midnight. It is not implanted in a woman until January 1, 2018. It was born 9 months after imp;antation. Are you who believe personhood and rights begin at fertilization telling me an 18 year old child was just born? In my opinion, personhood and rights begin at implantation of the fertilized egg when a genetically unique organism first releases human chorionic gonadatrophin. This is when the pregnancy begins. There seems to be something about implantation, that decides the mental and physical devolopement of the person. That is why I am procontraceptive choice, even if I am against most abortion choices unless the mother has a medical need, or something is horribly wrong with the baby. Thank you in advance for taking part in this thread. Peace.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The "person-hood" argument isn't necessary to justify a human embryo's right to life. If a stray tame dog wandered around my property, I'd be wrong to torture and kill this life. Likewise, it'd be immoral for anyone to torture and kill a living breathing human fetus.

Jesus_and_Child.gif

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Are you who believe personhood and rights begin at fertilization telling me an 18 year old child was just born? In my opinion, personhood and rights begin at implantation of the fertilized egg
What?
Two words I avoid in this conversation are "person" and "murder".
They're both just too subjective. I try to stick to more objective terms like "human being" and "killing".

when a genetically unique organism first releases human chorionic gonadatrophin. This is when the pregnancy begins.
I don't know what human chorionic gonadatrophin even is, nor do I much care.
"Life cycle of a primate" is sufficient science for the purpose.
But I can't seem to convince some people that such science exists. Talking to pro feticide rights people is often like talking to creationists. They simply cannot see science that interferes with their agenda.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The "person-hood" argument isn't necessary to justify a human embryo's right to life. If a stray tame dog wandered around my property, I'd be wrong to torture and kill this life. Likewise, it'd be immoral for anyone to torture and kill a living breathing human fetus.

Jesus_and_Child.gif

Ummm...not sure a fetus breathes...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Jesus_and_Child.gif
Except that a dog is conscious and experiences fear and pain, so it's a stupid analogy.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
A human egg is fertilized January 1, 2000, at midnight. It is not implanted in a woman until January 1, 2018. It was born 9 months after imp;antation. Are you who believe personhood and rights begin at fertilization telling me an 18 year old child was just born?

Good question: The Chick and the Egg.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
A human egg is fertilized January 1, 2000, at midnight. It is not implanted in a woman until January 1, 2018. It was born 9 months after imp;antation. Are you who believe personhood and rights begin at fertilization telling me an 18 year old child was just born?

Consciousness never dies, nor is born. What I used to believe "I am" seems now like an illusion. Answer "Who Am I" will answer the riddle.

dfnj

A human egg is fertilized January 1, 2000, at midnight. It is not implanted in a woman until January 1, 2018. It was born 9 months after imp;antation. Are you who believe personhood and rights begin at fertilization telling me an 18 year old child was just born? In my opinion, personhood and rights begin at implantation of the fertilized egg when a genetically unique organism first releases human chorionic gonadatrophin. This is when the pregnancy begins. There seems to be something about implantation, that decides the mental and physical devolopement of the person. That is why I am procontraceptive choice, even if I am against most abortion choices unless the mother has a medical need, or something is horribly wrong with the baby. Thank you in advance for taking part in this thread. Peace.

Life does not begin with conception. Life existed long before conception going back to Adam and Eve. And life does not die with abortion but lives on in the parents. However, it's best to avoid having abortions so the message "life is sacred" is preserved.

masonlandry

Personhood is a red herring in the debate on abortion. The issue is not whether a person is being denied life. This is because whether the fetus is a person or not is not as important as whether one person is obligated to donate their body to another person if their life depends on it.

Also, because personhood is a vague, ill-defined metaphysical concept constructed by humans. It has no objective beginning. Even if you considered personhood as beginning as soon as a sperm or egg was formed because of it's potential to be a person eventually, I would still be in favor of abortion being an available option. This is because I see pregnancy as no different than donating a kidney or portion of liver. If someone doesn't want to do it, they shouldn't have to, even if that means someone dies. Also, because I really don't see any difference in a fetus aborted and a fetus never conceived. Either way a baby is not born. When a pregnancy is ended unintentionally, it is sad because the mother wanted the baby and lost it. If she isn't suffering a loss, or if the loss is a lesser suffering for her than the birth, that's her business. I see forcing a pregnancy to be carried out for anyone else's sake as immoral as forcing a conception to occur because someone else wants a baby.