• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we ever be certain the "God" is more than just a philosophy or way of thinking?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Nicely expressed and I agree vis-à-vis the original poster. You have been most helpful too him and I see completely where you are coming from. Sorry for writing a length post on the topic, it was just the point about "superior" that I wanted to clarify :yes: Otherwise I agree with you, and appreciate the guidance you have given to the OP.

Thank you kindly. This is nice to hear as I get more negative than positive feedback on RF.

Well let me put my hard-hat back on as I just saw myself vilified again on another thread. (those Dawkins-types are not fans)

Cheers to the UK

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do you have any links, books, or other resources you could send me for learning more about Advaita? I really like the idea of God being a universal consciousness, and our goal being to unify one's awareness and consciousness with this Ultimate Reality.

Advaita Vedanta (non-dual Hinduism). This is something huge that many have spent their lives studying. The best presenter I can think of for you may be Prahmahansa Yogananda and his organization called Self-Realization Fellowship. Everything (including us) are all part of God. The difference is the masters realize it already and the rest of us don't. So the goal of our lives is to Self-Realize who we really are which ultimately is just another name for God-Realization (that pesty egoic-mind is the sole reality for the novice soul).

If you also do a google search on 'Advaita Vedanta' you can play around and find something at the right tone for you.

I personally am not by any means a genius or an intellectual type but am fairly smart. It can get over my head sometimes. But there are teachers of this school that have the gift of opening the eyes of the common man.

In fact there are a number of people of Jewish ethnicity that have high positions in some western-Hinduish organizations. They affectionately refer to themselves as Hinjews.