• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the US afford socialized medicine?

A

angellous_evangellous

Here we go:

In August 1993, Clinton signed the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, which passed Congress without a Republican vote. It cut taxes for fifteen million low-income families, made tax cuts available to 90% of small businesses,[49] and raised taxes on the wealthiest 1.2% of taxpayers.[50] Additionally, through the implementation of spending restraints, it mandated the budget be balanced over a number of years.

Clinton presided over the longest period of peace-time economic expansion in American history, which included a balanced budget and a federal surplus.[6][7] The Congressional Budget Office reported a surplus of $236B in 2000, the last full year of Clinton's presidency.[8] On the heels of a failed attempt at health care reform with a Democratic Congress, Republicans won control of the House of Representatives for the first time in forty years.[9] Two years later, in 1996, Clinton was re-elected and became the first member of the Democratic Party since Franklin D. Roosevelt to win a second term as president.

Smoke

Done here.
Damn, Rick, you are good at changing the subject. I just about fell for it.

But instead of going off on a possible balanced budget amendment, or what's wrong with Obama, how about if we stick to the topic of the thread this time?

Mr Cheese

Damn, Rick, you are good at changing the subject. I just about fell for it.

But instead of going off on a possible balanced budget amendment, or what's wrong with Obama, how about if we stick to the topic of the thread this time?

:sarcastic:facepalm: surely you jest!

stick to the topic?
not denounce Obama?
Not post articles that are months old about Obama's dog?

:sarcastic You really want a lot don't you?

A

angellous_evangellous

And this:

The Bush Budget Deficit Death Spiral
When Reagan took office in 1981, the national debt stood at $995 billion. Twelve years later, by the end of George H.W. Bush's presidency, it had exploded to $4 trillion. Reagan was a "B" grade movie actor and a doddering, probably clinically senile president, but he was a sheer genius at rewarding his friends by saddling other people with debts.

Bill Clinton reversed Reagan's course, raising taxes on the wealthy, and lowering them for the working and middle classes. This produced the longest sustained economic expansion in American history. Importantly, it also produced budgetary surpluses allowing the government to begin paying down the crippling debt begun under Reagan. In 2000, Clinton's last year, the surplus amounted to $236 billion. The forecast ten year surplus stood at $5.6 trillion. It was the last black ink America would see for decades, perhaps forever.
George W. Bush immediately reversed Clinton's policy in order to revive Reagan's...

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I do tend to ramble some times. It is old age :sorry1:

If you look at Angelous's previous post you will see that Clinton did indeed balance the budget. He had to threaten to shut down the government to get it done remember?

Have patience, I will tie this up in a bow and be on topic ;)

You will notice that his budget did not have health care in it. :sorry1:

Do you think the budget would have be balanced if we got Hillary Care?

So to answer the op, NO WE CANNOT AFFORD HEALTH CARE.

Now I know you are going to tell me how much health care will save us all......

WE CANNOT AFFORD TO SAVE THAT MUCH MONEY

I could buy a Jaguar and save 10's of thousands, but I still cannot afford that car!

Smoke

Done here.

I could buy a Jaguar and save 10's of thousands, but I still cannot afford that car!
We're already spending the money. We're already spending more money than any other country. We're paying Jaguar prices to ride around on a beat-up old Schwinn. Can we afford that?

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I do tend to ramble some times. It is old age :sorry1:

If you look at Angelous's previous post you will see that Clinton did indeed balance the budget. He had to threaten to shut down the government to get it done remember?

Have patience, I will tie this up in a bow and be on topic ;)

You will notice that his budget did not have health care in it. :sorry1:

Do you think the budget would have be balanced if we got Hillary Care?

So to answer the op, NO WE CANNOT AFFORD HEALTH CARE.

Yes, gosh darn it, we can't afford to save all that money! The only way to balance the budget is to make sure we spend more money on health care than any other country on earth! If we were to spend less money...umm...I think I just ran out of sarcasm for this discussion.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We're already spending the money. We're already spending more money than any other country. We're paying Jaguar prices to ride around on a beat-up old Schwinn. Can we afford that?

Yes we are spending the money already, but we are happy with the level of service provided to us. Taking 500 billion away from seniors to pay for someone else to have health care is unacceptable to many of us.

It is health care distribution plain and simple.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yes, gosh darn it, we can't afford to save all that money! The only way to balance the budget is to make sure we spend more money on health care than any other country on earth! If we were to spend less money...umm...I think I just ran out of sarcasm for this discussion.

Auto, I still remember you saying the democrats where the fiscal party too.

Smoke

Done here.
Yes we are spending the money already, but we are happy with the level of service provided to us.
Most of us aren't.

Taking 500 billion away from seniors to pay for someone else to have health care is unacceptable to many of us.
It's unacceptable to me, too. You're getting off-topic again. I'm talking about some half-baked compromise being kicked around Congress; I'm talking about actual socialized medicine like every advanced country has.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes we are spending the money already, but we are happy with the level of service provided to us.
Who's "we?"
In an extensive ABCNEWS/Washington Post poll, Americans by a 2-1 margin, 62-32 percent, prefer a universal health insurance program over the current employer-based system.
source

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Most of us aren't.

It's unacceptable to me, too. You're getting off-topic again. I'm talking about some half-baked compromise being kicked around Congress; I'm talking about actual socialized medicine like every advanced country has.

You know, If I was so impressed with other countries, I would consider moving there. Other advanced countries have a higher caliber citizen who pays alot of taxes. Do these other countries have half their citizens paying zero in taxes?

Smoke

Done here.
You know, If I was so impressed with other countries, I would consider moving there.
By God, I've been using this chamber pot all my life! It was my pa's chamber pot, and his pa's before him, and I don't want nobody comin' in here with no un-American idees about plumbing!

Is that about it?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have no doubts we could easily afford it. Cutting the War on Drugs alone would cover a good portion of it. Reduced war spending would also make it more affordable. We could also legalize or decriminalize marijuana and use that revenue to pay for it.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I have no doubts we could easily afford it. Cutting the War on Drugs alone would cover a good portion of it. Reduced war spending would also make it more affordable. We could also legalize or decriminalize marijuana and use that revenue to pay for it.

This is what I am talking about. Figuring out how to solve the problem.

Get everyone involved.

Not run for office on a platform of " I will get you all of this for free and make the other guy pay for it".

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
By God, I've been using this chamber pot all my life! It was my pa's chamber pot, and his pa's before him, and I don't want nobody comin' in here with no un-American idees about plumbing!

Is that about it?

ROFLMBO

Well plumbing is an improvement over a chamber pot. Nationalised health care may be an improvement for some, but not for most.

Lets face it, health care is expensive and some folks cannot afford it. The bottom line is the people who cannot afford it want someone else to fund it for them.

The other side of the coin is, some people do not want to receive a lower caliber of service.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Says who?

Americans are more dissatisfied than citizens of other nations with their basic health care (search) even while paying more of their own money for treatment, a five-nation survey released Thursday notes.
Fox News

And remember, it costs us twice as much to be the least satisfied, but it's well worth it, don't you agree, Rick?