• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone please explain beer to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Ok, I'm a Mormon and I don't drink. I tried alcohol a few times as a teenager when I was a bit rebellious against my religion. Now, I abstain. I know I detested the taste of beer, but felt I needed to keep up with my friends and just try to get used to it.

Now, everywhere I go, beer is constantly talked about. Everyone always wants to get "a cold one" after work, during the game, etc. I go to TONS of little league baseball games. Parents are always hiding beer in their cups and giggling about it.

What am I missing? Is it really that exicting to drink beer? Is it the buzz? Is it the taste? Does it help people relax? Is it hard for the average beer drinker to go, say one day, without a beer?

I went to a pro baseball game with my company. My friend drank several beers. The next day he had a chance to go to another game. I asked him if he was going. He said no, because he can't handle that much beer. I thought to myself, why don't you go to the game, but not drink this time?

This is intended to be a light hearted discussion. But, I really don't get it. From my perspective as a non drinker, beer seems like an obsession. But, I know that I must seem really weird to those around me, when I don't drink.

Enlighten me please.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Some people drink beer as a way to just unwind and relax... I can't stand beer myself, but I have my own choice beverages :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Beer is an acquired taste. For some reason unknown to me, it's traditional to joke about how much it means to you by exaggerating it's value and your dependence on it. Does that help?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ok, I'm a Mormon and I don't drink. I tried alcohol a few times as a teenager when I was a bit rebellious against my religion. Now, I abstain. I know I detested the taste of beer, but felt I needed to keep up with my friends and just try to get used to it.

Now, everywhere I go, beer is constantly talked about. Everyone always wants to get "a cold one" after work, during the game, etc. I go to TONS of little league baseball games. Parents are always hiding beer in their cups and giggling about it.
It may be that it seems like everyone's drinking because you're looking for it.

What am I missing? Is it really that exicting to drink beer? Is it the buzz? Is it the taste? Does it help people relax? Is it hard for the average beer drinker to go, say one day, without a beer?
According to what I've read, one sign of "problem drinking" is having more than five drinks a week (though by that definition, most people I knew in university were problem drinkers at the time, including myself).

Personally, I'll have a beer or two some weeks, none at all others.

I went to a pro baseball game with my company. My friend drank several beers. The next day he had a chance to go to another game. I asked him if he was going. He said no, because he can't handle that much beer. I thought to myself, why don't you go to the game, but not drink this time?
For myself, I generally avoid alcohol when I'm outside for long periods in hot weather, since it acts as a diuretic and can dehydrate you. Of course, I'm not really one for ball-and-stick sports, so sitting through an entire baseball game isn't normally something I'd do sober. :D

This is intended to be a light hearted discussion. But, I really don't get it. From my perspective as a non drinker, beer seems like an obsession. But, I know that I must seem really weird to those around me, when I don't drink.

Enlighten me please.
Personally, I drink beer because I like it, not because I want to get drunk. It's not about the alcohol for me... though I don't normally drink de-alcoholized beer just because most brands taste like soda water, plus I don't like the idea of drinking beer that's been messed with.

Like Sunstone said, it's an acquired taste.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I do not drink but have tasted beer and I cannot understand how anyone can like it. My daughter and son in law drink a case of more every night, I can't even stand the smell of it on their breath.....:eek: disgusting......but whatever turns you on I guess....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can someone please explain beer to me?
Well... first you get some grain that's been allowed to go to seed, and you separate the chaff. Then you get some purified water, brewer's yeast, and some hops (hemp flowers) for flavouring. You steep the grain in water for 6 days until it germinates (sprouts), and then pop it in a roaster to stop that process, and then crush it in iron rollers. That's your malt. You toss the mess in a tank with some warm water, until it turns into porridge. That's your mash. You cook it at 100-170°F, and then let it sit so the liquid rises and the mash settles. Then the liquid goes into fermentation tanks to sit with yeast for a few days at a particular 50°F - 60°F temperature, and then put in casks where it sits some more. That's your "aging." After aging, it's pasturized to make it safe to drink, and there you go... to the bar.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well... first you get some grain that's been allowed to go to seed, and you separate the chaff. Then you get some purified water, brewer's yeast, and some hops (hemp flowers) for flavouring. You steep the grain in water for 6 days until it germinates (sprouts), and then pop it in a roaster to stop that process, and then crush it in iron rollers. That's your malt. You toss the mess in a tank with some warm water, until it turns into porridge. That's your mash. You cook it at 100-170°F, and then let it sit so the liquid rises and the mash settles. Then the liquid goes into fermentation tanks to sit with yeast for a few days at a particular 50°F - 60°F temperature, and then put in casks where it sits some more. That's your "aging." After aging, it's pasturized to make it safe to drink, and there you go... to the bar.
That reminds me of a couple of tours I've taken on brewries -- the Olympia Brewry in Olympia, Washington and the Coors Brewry in Golden, Colorado. The tour was seriously fascinating but the smell of the hops just about knocked me out. Seriously, the taste of beer must be acquired. I've just never figured out how anyone can have the tenacity to keep trying it long enough to start liking it. Now wine... that's another matter. If I were not LDS, I could really enjoy a good glass of wine with my dinner.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Beers are pretty tasty, especially Dutch and Canadian brews. They can help you unwind and relax after a long day of hard work.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I never cared for the taste of beer for most of my life, but a couple years ago my taste buds changed (with aging) and it's acceptable now. I'm not a big fan of it, but it smells nice (I imagine a brewery would be overpowering).

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
As already said, it's an acquired taste. The alcohol helps, but is not the main reason for me drinking it. I don't drink to get drunk.

Also, it's seen as cool. It's cool to drink beer and get drunk, according to many people. A lot of people talk about it so much because they think it makes them sound cool.

beer is pretty much just insta coolness depended on how much you drink:
1 beer : meh your probaly driving
2 beer : ok
3 beer : thirsty?
4 beer : something must be on tv
5 beer : he leave a beer for me
6 beer : he you stupid ... you drank the whole 6 pack
more then that and your just greedy or drunk

ps. not a fan of alcohol myself

tomspug

Absorbant
I used to hate beer, but it's an acquired taste... like pretty much anything that doesn't have sugar or salt in it. However, I am not a 'beer lover' and only drink certain ones. I'll always try something once, but even if I do like something enough to buy it (like Corona or Alaskan), I buy a six-bottle pack for my wife and I to share every now and then.

Alcohol is nice with dinner, for social reasons, because you loosen up and communicate better than you might otherwise. Overall though, I greatly prefer wine and mixed drinks to beer.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Seriously, are you saying that the first time you ever tried beer, you liked the taste?

Yeah. My Grandad bought me a pint of Guinness, gave me a cigarette, we sat down on our stools, mmmmmmmmmmm. I loved it, I've since given up smoking, but it was love at first taste with the Guinness. One of my favourite memories.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yeah. My Grandad bought me a pint of Guinness, gave me a cigarette, we sat down on our stools, mmmmmmmmmmm. I loved it, I've since given up smoking, but it was love at first taste with the Guinness. One of my favourite memories.
Wow! And how old were you when this happened?

Hexaqua_David(II)

I drink what the Italians call "beer" but in England we call "lager". If you think you hate beers and lagers I suggest trying a bottle of an Italian brew called "Peroni". It's pretty much all you can buy in Tuscany and Verona, and it's beautiful! There is nothing better than sitting in Piazza Navona, Rome, on a hot summer's day with a tall, slim glass of Peroni with which to refresh one's self.

Status
Not open for further replies.