• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone actually improve his or her life with Pure Land Buddhism?

agorman

Premium Member
I've read the goal of Pure Land Buddhism by reciting "Namu Amida Butsu" is reaching the Pure Land so you don't reincarnate anymore. Once you're there, you evolve until you become a buddha.

So far so good, but I didn't find a clear explanation whether if becoming a buddha means annihilation or reaching freedom. :confused: That is, reaching an illumination level where nothing and nobody can oblige you to do anything anymore; although you could come down to this plane as a bodhisattva to help other sentient beings if you wish.

So, Annihilation... no thanks. Living in a Paradise and being free... I like it. :D

Anyway, those are afterlife objectives. What about improving my life right now, until I die? Is that possible with Pure Land Buddhism? Thank you...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Annihilation? I'm not really a Mahayanist, but I trust they'll agree with me that it is no goal of Pure Land - or any other Mahayana school.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Pure Land schools are reincarnationist either.

What about improving my life right now, until I die? Is that possible with Pure Land Buddhism? Thank you...

It sure is. The idea of practicing the Nembutsu, as I recall it from my time with a Jodo Shinshu group, is to nurture a healthy mental attitude related to gratitude on reflection about Amidha Buddha's vow.

Usually Pure Land is understood to be a mental state, not an otherworldly realm.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Nirvāṇa =/= annihilation, although it often seems as though some people interpret nirvāṇa to be "destruction of being", I don't think that's right at all.

In my view, becoming a Buddha means going beyond all dualities, but as I'm an unorthodox Buddhist, I'll keep my own view of it out.

As to reincarnation/rebirth, mostly it looks like semantics to me. I find rebirth to look weirder as a term than reincarnation as to me rebirth sounds more like "the self becoming flesh", even though I've been practising Buddhism for quite a while.

Can it improve your life, either in the next-world or this one?
Who knows? Possibly, possibly not. If you don't do anything to go with it though, I doubt it. We need to act to get what we want, of course. :)

My $0.02. :)

I've read the goal of Pure Land Buddhism by reciting "Namu Amida Butsu" is reaching the Pure Land so you don't reincarnate anymore. Once you're there, you evolve until you become a buddha.

So far so good, but I didn't find a clear explanation whether if becoming a buddha means annihilation or reaching freedom. :confused: That is, reaching an illumination level where nothing and nobody can oblige you to do anything anymore; although you could come down to this plane as a bodhisattva to help other sentient beings if you wish.

So, Annihilation... no thanks. Living in a Paradise and being free... I like it. :D

Anyway, those are afterlife objectives. What about improving my life right now, until I die? Is that possible with Pure Land Buddhism? Thank you...

The whole point is that whether one takes Pure Land as a literal Land, or as a metaphorical state of mind, it does not matter, because that Reality becomes manifest through single-minded devotion to Amitabha's Grace.

It is almost like making Pure Land manifest on Earth. After all, one is learning to become detached to all distractions naturally through learning to attach one's self to Pure Light and Life, or Amitabha Buddha. He Himself promises that one who chants His Name with complete and utter Entrusting, will no longer feel the pain of the mortal world, and feel the bliss of Pure Land.

Becoming a Buddha is to embody the very attitude of the Buddha-dhatu, which is the original nature of everything, or the state of being of which Buddha embodied on Earth and achieved utter Enlightenment.

When you are in Pure Land, you continue to practice Buddhahood for eternity through that realm, or even descend as a Boddhisattva to help humankind.

Anyways, good luck on your spiritual journey! Pure Land Buddhism is a veritable treasure that almost ALL Westerners seem to have missed out on.

While Zen and other schools of Buddhism are like swimming (jiriki) to the Other Shore, chanting the Name of Buddha is having Amitabha Himself as the Rower who will carry us with flawless ease to the Other Shore... so let go, and have Entrusting Faith in the Grace (tariki) of Amitabha Buddha.

Namo Amituofo!

So, Annihilation... no thanks. Living in a Paradise and being free... I like it.
The Pureland is not seen as annihilation. Even Amitabha Buddhism is not annihilated there - not even taken Parinirvana.

Possible is just what it means - yes it is possible. What is "improving will depend on each person perspective, and mostly this improving will come about depending on one's karma (past and present), and practicing sincerely what is taught in the Pureland sutras.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

A lot of people confuse annihilation as nihilism in Buddhism. There is the usage of expressed terms like nothingness or emptiness to which I believe annihilation as a term, arises by association, and is thus erroneously misinterpreted. Pure land is largely metaphoric and is arguably a niche' yet valid school of Buddhism to assist those who may experience trouble through "conventional" venues. Mostly this involves theists who have experienced trouble in letting go their views regarding deities and heaven hell and such.

To advise it is better to stay with terms concerning illumination, or as you put it, "reaching freedom" and annihilate annihilation. It might lessen the confusion a bit. ;O)

travis

This is a very good question you have presented to the community, and you have gotten some excellent answers, all of which are truthful and valid. I would simply like to add, that there seems to be entirely too much attention being given to the future within all spiritual disciplines. To me the pure land practice is just another of the many ingenious ways to develop a happy peaceful mind in this moment. If we are in a pure land of bliss right now, why would it matter what happens to us later. Enlightenment can in itself be an obstacle to liberation if we have desirous attachment for it. It is exactly this type of desire that has kept us trapped in samsara since beginningless time. There is no future and no past in this moment. We are free to enter the pure land of bliss right now. There is no need to worry about what might become of us when we fully merge with the light of our consciousness. We will merely be evolving to a natural state of being. Relax, and be happy. Practice the way that fills you with bliss, and let enlightenment arise naturally, without any thought of it.