• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Science Prove...

Curious George

Veteran Member
...that reality is real?

Someone pointed out to me when I asked the science otakus whether science could be used to prove once and for all that we are not living in simulation that I did not ask a fair question because science cannot prove a negative.

So I now present to you a different question: Can science prove that reality is real?

It is a pressing question.

It has already proven that it is not.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
...that reality is real?

Someone pointed out to me when I asked the science otakus whether science could be used to prove once and for all that we are not living in simulation that I did not ask a fair question because science cannot prove a negative.

So I now present to you a different question: Can science prove that reality is real?

Science could prove only physical and material realities; it is no designed to prove other realities.

Regards

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
...that reality is real?

Nope. But there are several ongoing investigations. Including the investigation that all reality may just be a hologram. :)

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
...that reality is real?

What do you mean by real? If you mean taste, touch, feel, smell and sense yes it can. If you mean entirely eliminate the possibility of your consciousness ability to imagine that we might be than no. Science seeks to define what is not yet understood. It is hesitant to make unproven claims. This however is not a weakness of science because more than likely it can. We just do not grasp the ability to know right now.

ScuzManiac

Go wander around the desert for a few days and have a mirage.

Then, and only then, will you know that reality is real.

Or perhaps you could try hallucinogens? That'll work equally as well.

But at the end of the day, we all see something different.

Reality IS real but everyone's reality is different. Think: the fish bowl effect.

No science needed.

Anonimus2

No, you're talking about a theory called realism. By that we mean that what we perceive as real AKA reality is the only thing real and our understanding is as far as we get. Realism is what all humans live on, but pretty much everybody knows it doesn't work. Cats don't view stuff like we do, other people don't view stuff like we do. Yet, it's not proof of a deity. I am religious, but humans work on logic, like you can look at the stoic logic or the Logica of Aristotle to understand what we mean by logic and proving reality. The way to see things always comes in perspective by our understanding, therefore no, no science, philosophy or religion can prove that what we know as reality is real.

groves200

...that reality is real?

we could try this:
mov EAX, 564D5868h
xor EBX, EBX
mov CX, 0Ah
mov DX, 5658h
cmp EBX, 564D5868h

if the software we are all living in is anything like VMWare and uses the I/O port 0x5658 ("VX" in ASCII) to communicate with the virtual machine the code above just might work! :shrug:

we should use the holy MASM assembler! but that's just my opinion...

groves200

Go wander around the desert for a few days and have a mirage.

Then, and only then, will you know that reality is real.

Or perhaps you could try hallucinogens? That'll work equally as well.

But at the end of the day, we all see something different.

Reality IS real but everyone's reality is different. Think: the fish bowl effect.

No science needed.

:facepalm: do you understand simulation? if it's a simulation then we are clearly 'programmed' to think in a specific way such as the desert being reality or water being wet..so on.. you can't tell her to go walk in a desert that's stupid and proves nothing..

why do you think anti-virus researchers run malware in a virtual machine? as far as the virus is aware that is the real thing, that is reality, as far as it's aware there is no virtual machine (unless its coded to detect one, and thats kinda like her question).

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then that would mean reality is subjective now wouldn't it?

No. If it's not real, then it wasn't reality.

"Reality" is just "that which is real". This means that the statement "reality is real" is a tautology and therefore true.

If you actually meant to ask whether science can prove that what we perceive as reality is real, then the answer is no. In fact, science has uncovered all sorts of ways that are perceptions can be faulty.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There are some current science programs that display how our brains and perceptions can be tricked.

The illusions are optical and simply amazing!

samosasauce

How could it, since we are so used to this reality? Of course it has proved the personal realities of individuals can be wrong, due to the fact that our brains and senses aren't perfect. That's why you miss see things, mishear things, see patterns where there are none, see faces where there aren't, etc.

idav

Being
Premium Member
There are some current science programs that display how our brains and perceptions can be tricked.

The illusions are optical and simply amazing!
Yes we can be tricked, our perceptions can be just that, an illusion, a trick of the mind. When we look behind the curtain, dig into the details, we start to see the mechanisms for the illusion. When we know how it works it isn't illusory anymore, we see through to a truer reality.