• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Religion Exist Without God?

Can Religion Exist Without God?

• Total voters

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
i recently discovered a little bit more about @Kharisym 's faith and it appeared to me to be almost identical to a religion that existed briefly in the 19th century. The Religion of Humanity. Auguste Comte invented that religion, established a few temples in France and Brazil, but never really did much with it and now it doesn't really exist anymore. Comte's ideas carried on as general Humanism, but Humanism by itself seems to lack of religious structure or organization towards it.

It seems to me that @Kharisym 's highest ideal is altruism, and Comte literally invented that word, altruisme, in French. And Comte's religion was literally described as, "Catholicism minus the Christianity." If you were in this organization, it was apparent that you were also atheist too - but not secular, or without religion. And there are other religious organizations, both past and present, that claim no God. Such as Confucianism and certain types of Satanism would fall into that category. Some Hindus are also atheist and Buddhism is a religion typically viewed without God.

However, while I do not speak for all Baha'is by a longshot, I think they would tend to think that religion and particularly, monotheism, are synonymous or nearly identical. And it appears apparent to most people that most people who believe in God also have a religion, and that most people who have a religion also believe in God. And it seems now more than ever with various restorationist movements in Christianity that God and religion are the same. Although, there are the "non-theist Quakers", which never made any sense to me given how spiritual Quakers tend to be.

I am creating a poll on this and intend on having three options. Religion can exist without God, Religion cannot exist without God, or somehow a combination of the two. I am interested in hearing what people have to say about this topic. Many people assume if you are atheist you are also not religious or spiritual in anyway, but there seems to be glaring evidence of faiths that had no God and are still considered religions to most people. So I would argue on the side that religion can exist without God. Someone can be important enough to follow with conviction without calling that person divinely-inspired, although placing divinity towards them might help place a certain degree of importance to them.

What do you think about this topic? Can you belong to a religion without the need for God? Or is God and religion inseparable? I am purposely putting this in RELIGIOUS DEBATES so you guys can debate amongst yourselves about this. Let us know what you think below!

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well, the definitions of "religion" are:
1 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices. 2a(1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural. (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance. 2b : the state of a religious a nun in her 20th year of religion.

So I would say yes, one can follow an organized set of beliefs, tenets, and morals while also not believing in God or gods. Like others have said, there are atheists who are Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists. There are even atheists who follow Christian principles and philosophy that call themselves "Christian Atheists".

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
God-free zones egs within: Buddhism, Daoism, Hinduism... sure there are others.

I always thought Daoism was bitheism, the two forces, Yin and Yang, as "Godlike" in some ways. Or polytheistic or pantheistic. Daoism seems to be pretty riled up in spiritualism and I highly doubt most Daoists are atheists.

Perhaps Buddhism is close

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I talked to Baha'is about this and they explained that Buddhism was really monotheist because nirvana itself was God or something. I always argued against this because of Kurt Cobain's death. ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I always thought Daoism was bitheism, the two forces, Yin and Yang, as "Godlike" in some ways. Or polytheistic or pantheistic. Daoism seems to be pretty riled up in spiritualism and I highly doubt most Daoists are atheists.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I talked to Baha'is about this and they explained that Buddhism was really monotheist because nirvana itself was God or something. I always argued against this because of Kurt Cobain's death. ;)

What does a Baha'i know about Buddhism? Talk to a Buddhist, i think @Secret Chief could help you out if you ask him nicely and cross his palm with a little silver (just joking of course, he takes plastic now)

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I think of religion as organized belief systems that often involve certain practices.
Sounds valid but I just can't see reason why performing any practices that are solely ceremony.

Yoga for example is one practice that people associate with religion?
But do such practices deserve to be called religion? I think not. that's rather exercise.

Why complicating things when it can be simple and called by simple names.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Sounds valid but I just can't see reason why performing any practices that are solely ceremony.

But do such practices deserve to be called religion? I think not. that's rather exercise.

I suppose some atheists could believe in spiritual things and practice religion because of that, some atheists could practice religion because it's family tradition, some atheists could just want to practice a religion because it fulfills a sense of belonging or it makes sense to them. Lots of reasons.

Some people do yoga for religious reasons and others do it for exercise reasons.

InChrist

Free4ever
i recently discovered a little bit more about @Kharisym 's faith and it appeared to me to be almost identical to a religion that existed briefly in the 19th century. The Religion of Humanity. Auguste Comte invented that religion, established a few temples in France and Brazil, but never really did much with it and now it doesn't really exist anymore. Comte's ideas carried on as general Humanism, but Humanism by itself seems to lack of religious structure or organization towards it.

It seems to me that @Kharisym 's highest ideal is altruism, and Comte literally invented that word, altruisme, in French. And Comte's religion was literally described as, "Catholicism minus the Christianity." If you were in this organization, it was apparent that you were also atheist too - but not secular, or without religion. And there are other religious organizations, both past and present, that claim no God. Such as Confucianism and certain types of Satanism would fall into that category. Some Hindus are also atheist and Buddhism is a religion typically viewed without God.

However, while I do not speak for all Baha'is by a longshot, I think they would tend to think that religion and particularly, monotheism, are synonymous or nearly identical. And it appears apparent to most people that most people who believe in God also have a religion, and that most people who have a religion also believe in God. And it seems now more than ever with various restorationist movements in Christianity that God and religion are the same. Although, there are the "non-theist Quakers", which never made any sense to me given how spiritual Quakers tend to be.

I am creating a poll on this and intend on having three options. Religion can exist without God, Religion cannot exist without God, or somehow a combination of the two. I am interested in hearing what people have to say about this topic. Many people assume if you are atheist you are also not religious or spiritual in anyway, but there seems to be glaring evidence of faiths that had no God and are still considered religions to most people. So I would argue on the side that religion can exist without God. Someone can be important enough to follow with conviction without calling that person divinely-inspired, although placing divinity towards them might help place a certain degree of importance to them.

What do you think about this topic? Can you belong to a religion without the need for God? Or is God and religion inseparable? I am purposely putting this in RELIGIOUS DEBATES so you guys can debate amongst yourselves about this. Let us know what you think below!
I would say all religions basically exist without God, except biblical Christianity.
All religions are focused on human efforts, works, rituals, rules, practices, belief systems and/or membership or participation in a certain organization, group or following some human leader(s) to attain salvation or reach heaven, Nirvana, spiritual enlightenment, etc.

The biblical scriptures reveal that belief and trust in God through Christ
Alone provide salvation and eternal life. He alone is the Savior who has accomplished all that is necessary.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The religious practice of yoga is significantly different than the exercise. So much so that the former often resents the latter being called yoga at all.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If religion is the separation of the sacred from the profane, where does that put god?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Most Daoists that I know don't consider Yin and Yang to be god-like forces but just attributes of things. Adjectives that describe what sort of state a thing is in and what it is transitioning into.
Additionally Dao isn't, in my experience, a god in the sense any theistic would look at it. More like a river everything is in, which we are all trying to navigate the best way we can.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
if there is no god why not simply call it philosophy?
All religions are philosophies, but not all philosophies are religions. Similarly, science is also a philosophy, or specifically utilizes the philosophy of empirism as its central tenant.
You can be interested and invested in multiple philosophies both religious and otherwise.

I would call things like Daoism and Buddhism religions rather than just philosophies because there's ritualistic behavior and precepts that go outside basic tenants.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
If religion is the separation of the sacred from the profane, where does that put god?
What a fabulous question!
I would really like to hear what those from non-theist religions have to say on this :)

All religions are philosophies, but not all philosophies are religions.
There is philosophical portion in every religion, but it's incorrect to say that religions are philosophies.
Religious philosophy used to be esoteric like, ex. you don't listen to philosophy on Sunday mass, but talking to a monk may end up like philosophical discussion.

Dao Hao Now

I would contend that all religions exist without God.
So, definitely the answer would be ….yes.

However, perhaps a better way of asking the question might be…
“Can religion exist without a belief in a god?”
Then the debate (as demonstrated by many of the answers here) depends on what one considers a “religion” to be.

There are factually official organizations today which are recognized as religions which do not hold a belief in a god as official doctrine.
So, again the answer, in this instance,
would be yes.

There are many people (particularly within religions that believe in God) that don’t accept anything other than their religion to truly be a religion.

This is an unfortunate fundamental failure of language, wherein some individuals affix different meaning, and do not acknowledge more universally accepted meanings of words accepted by the vast majority of people.