• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can I interview someone who is hindu here

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I might be identified by some as a Hindu but Hinduism being the art of freedom, identity tags are often a restriction upon the celebration of freedom. Nevertheless, I volunteer to be interviewed as a Hindu for whatever the worth.

buffy

I hope that you will answer these questions for me. I am new to this website and I do not exactly know how to use it that good. However, these questions will be used in my final project in order to compare and constrast another religion. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again soooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What is the most significant factor of practicing Hinduism to you?
  • What are the important holidays within Hinduism?
  • What are some of the significant traditions that are carried out?
  • Has Hinduism impacted your life?
  • How has Hinduism changed your life?
  • How has Hinduism provided structure in your life?
  • What are the benefits of practicing Hinduism?
  • What are the challenges of practicing Hinduism?
  • How long have you been of this faith?
  • Have you considered other faiths?
  • Why did you select this faith in particular?
  • What are some things that you may tell other considering joining this faith?

buffy

Can someone please answer these from personal perspective????????

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
To practise anything is to move from theory to application or from academics to actualization. Hinduism teaches, among other things, that life can be lived transcendentally so that we become masters of our lives rather than have our lives tossed hither and thither living a slavish life of material pursuits. Practising Hinduism is therefore reconnecting ourselves to the natural harmony that is existence. This is the most significant factor in the practise of Hinduism.
There are so many days which are considered important holidays by Hinduism’s many communities that every other day is likely to be a holiday! However, among the most prevalent holidays observed are:
    1. A period of 10 days called ‘Nav Rathri-Vijay Dashmi’. During this period Shakti or the feminine power (Goddess) is worshipped.
    2. Then there is what is called the festival of lights or ‘Deepavali’. This festival symbolizes the victory of good over evil and is connected with the personality of Sri Ram, among the most hallowed of names in the Hindu pantheon.
    3. There is Holi- festival of colors and Spring, celebrating the harvest season.
    4. Shivarathri - night of deep meditation in the name of Shiva.
    5. Sri Krishna Jayanti - birthday of Lord Krishna.
    6. Raksābandhan - renewing bonds between brothers and sisters.
    7. Ganesha-Chaturthi - when idols of the elephant God are immersed in the sea.
The most vital Hindu tradition is the Guru-Sikshya tradition or the tradition of passing on techniques of spiritual advancement from guru to disciple.

There is a tradition called ‘Shodasya Samskar’ - a string of 16 celebrations that each individual goes through his lifetime, from even before birth to death.

Before my understanding of Hinduism pervaded my day-to-day living, I was a rather restless chap. Now I appear to have largely calmed my mind and the ‘inner life’ beckons alluringly. The effect of being able to steadfastly calm my mind would be that I would have no ‘problems’ and my presence might even be able to soothe others’ tensions.
I was a restless fellow. Now I am much calmer. I feel an imperceptible flowering into a deep inner peace. Such normal matters as fear, worry, desire et al have largely become a thing of the past. I simply feel free - a state of nothing-to-do, nothing-to-achieve. Life is tending to become one endless living in the moment and in spontaneity.
Hinduism has freed me from all structures and entrapment in it.
Freedom, love and harmony – a successful practitioner of Hinduism becomes a fount of these forces.
There are no challenges except the distractions one subjects oneself to.
For me Hinduism is not a faith. It is an awakening - awakening to one’s potential.
I have always found the words in the Bible and the Quran very enchanting. But I have never felt the need for faith.
There is no need to select. All men and women are inheritors of all things of beauty and joy.
Your question implies faith is about becoming a member of a club. The whole idea is to realize that we are free. We do not have to work our way back into golden cages.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Can someone please answer these from personal perspective?(/QUOTE]There are personal perspectives only in Hinduism. I do not know if you need more answers, but still here is one. Only 'Dharma' is the 'universal perspective'.

Has Hinduism impacted your life? - It has.
How has Hinduism changed your life? - It has told me the truth of physical universe and human life.
How has Hinduism provided structure in your life? - By 'Dharma' (Fulfilling one's responsibilites and engage in righteous action)
What are the benefits of practicing Hinduism? Better understanding of the universe and life.
What are the challenges of practicing Hinduism? To use knowledge and discrimination (Jnana and Viveka).
How long have you been of this faith? Since birth. First as a theist, later as an atheist.
Have you considered other faiths? Never for conversion. Studied about Abrahamic faiths and roundly rejected them. Studied Indic religions (Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism). Respect Buddhism.
Why did you select this faith in particular? As I said, How could I think of a change when I totally agree with it?
What are some things that you may tell other considering joining this faith? Hinduism puts no fetters on personal belief. A theist is just as welcome as an atheist like me. My belief accepts each and every advance of science, be it Big-bang, or evolution, or relativity, or quantum mechanics.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In your two questionnaires, some questions were repeated. The following is what I would like to say in addition to the first post:

What is the most significant factor of practicing Hinduism to you? Follow 'Dharma' (fulfill my responsibilities and engage in righteous action)

What are the important holidays within Hinduism? My friend, Venugopala have given a list. I would like to add Rama Navami (Birthday of Lord Rama) and Karwa Chauth or Chhat (celebrated by women praying for the welfare of their husbands and sons). A fast is observed. Some men reciprocate the feeling by fasting.

What are some of the significant traditions that are carried out? As Venugopala said, the observations start befire tge birth of the child, but the important ones are Naming ceremony (21st day), first tonsure (first year or third year), Sacred Thread ceremony (7- 11 years), marriage, and death.

Surya Deva

Hi,
I do not post very frequently here(last posted in 2006) and recently I have been posting on another Hindu forum, which is sadly unmoderated and has been overrun by forum trolls and religious fanatics, but I like your questions and would like to answer them.

What is the most significant factor of practicing Hinduism to you?

I cannot really say I practice Hinduism, because what I call Hinduism is not Hinduism for everybody. There are some who go to their local temple, pray to the idol of a Hindu deity, or are simply born Hindu and claim to practice Hinduism. Then there are some who do Yoga and Meditation, which are central practices within Hinduism, who do not claim to be Hindu. Then there are still others who are Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs who claim not to be Hindu, but nonetheless come under the Dharma fold. So defining what Hinduism is to another becomes quite difficult. Now, I have a rather objectivist mentality, I think there are objective truths and they are absolute for me, so naturally if I think x is true, then I will dismiss not x as false. I accept as true that Hinduism is the religion of the Vedas and thus the practice of Hinduism is wholly constituted of Vedic tenets. They are cultivating your intellect and aspiring for knowledge and truth, doing good deeds, thinking noble thoughts and speaking sweetly, softly and politely and trying to perceive the divine in everything. In fact the last one is the most fundamental Vedic tenet and the Vedas constantly remind you that ones entire existence is to self-realise and connect to the supreme being. Anybody that is practicing all of this is a true Hindu in my opinion, even if they do not formally identify themselves as Hindu.

So what is most significant for me in praciticing Hinduism is to live my life according to Vedic tenets. I do this by reading spiritual literature(mostly Hindu) doing Yoga, reflecting and introspecting on my self, cultivating my intellect and pondering over higher ideals like truth, justice, beauty and righteousness. I also try to do good deeds.

What are the important holidays within Hinduism?
What are some of the significant traditions that are carried out?

These questions have already been answered very well by others. Anyway the most significant of Hindu holidays is Deepwali or Diwali, the festival of lights. It marks the Hindu new Year and is the most well-known Hindu festival in the world.
The most significant Hindu tradition is the Guru Parampara, which means the tradition of Guru. This is respecting and serving your Guru, from which you learn knowledge and then after your Guru you continue his mission. The student-teacher relationship is considered the most important in Hinduism, because from the teacher one gains knowledge and knowledge is what brings enlightenment. Thus the teacher is verily like god himself.

Has Hinduism impacted your life?

Yes, I have made very significant changes in my life for the better. I also feel like I have become more open minded, more introspective and feel a greater purpose in life. I am also a lot more confident about my knowledge and can express it more articulately.

How has Hinduism changed your life?

This question is similar to the previous question.

How has Hinduism provided structure in your life?

Once you formally practice Yoga your life becomes very structured. You have to make lifestyle changes in all areas e.g., sleeping, diet, how you live your day. The most important of all is being mindful of the Yamas and Niyamas(morality and personal regulations) especially maintaining cleansiness in mind, body and speech.

What are the benefits of practicing Hinduism?

It makes you a philosopher, you constantly ponder over matters like existence, truth, god and when you read the hymns of the Vedas and the Bhagvad Gita, you become very inspired and almost feel like you are connecting to the universe. You also begin to form a much more complete picture of the universe; everything starts to make sense. In fact reality becomes so much more simple and beautiful.

What are the challenges of practicing Hinduism?

The challenge that I feel the most is keeping my motivation going. It is very easy to lapse back into bad habits e.g., speaking politely and honestly is not always easy, especially in the face of rudeness. Similarly, remaining calm in stress situations is not easy. Hinduism is not an easy path and it certainly not for everybody. The Vedas tell us to constantly do noble deeds and think noble thoughts, but for myself constantly is relative lol

How long have you been of this faith?

I was born into it, kind of. I didn't really embrace it as a child or in my teenage years. I even went through a period of atheism. This was because I had studied science and for me physics was more fascinating than religion. It was only later that I became interested in Hinduism as I discovered it was very scientific itself. I then became interested in the Vedas and started reading Vedic literature. It is only recently, however, that I have started integrating it more seriously in my life.

Have you considered other faiths?

No, I will be very frank, I find other religions to be primitive. I do not wish to offend anyone, I am just being very honest. Others are free to disagree with me.

Why did you select this faith in particular?

I have a very scientific mind and hence why I rejected all religion because it offended my intelligence, but when I discovered that Hinduism did not contradict science, but actually supported it and its own theories were similar to modern scientific theories, I became more convinced of its truths. The father of quantum physics, Erwin Schrodinger himself became Hindu because of the same convinction.

What are some things that you may tell other considering joining this faith?

That you cannot really join it. It's not a religion that you just one day say, "Oh, I am joining this one" it a purely practical religion which demands your absolute and most sincere commitment to practicing Hinduism. You will need to transform your entire life, be prepared to drop previous habits, form new habits and revaluate all your beliefs about reality and about yourself. In fact in Hinduism even faith in god is a belief that is questioned.

I don't think Hinduism is for the average person, if the average person is just somebody looking for some kind of security. It is for people who have a burning desire to know and to become better and loving people. They must have an open mind and be able to ask questions about themselves. Above all, Hinduism is not for anyone who has self-interests in mind such as going to heaven, developing powers, becoming rich and famous. It is for those who are prepared to completely destroy their ego and allow the divine to operate through them. In adivatia Vedanta the whole notion of 'I' is brought into question, and it declares that there is no 'I', everything is just that infinite consciousness, Brahman. The whole notion we have of individual self arises from ignorance. In fact we are nothing more than an aggregate of mental and physical processes, just as Modern science also declares. But, unlike Modern science, Vedanta declares that the life in us does not belong to us, it belongs to That supreme entity itself who enjoys existence through us. He is the doer, the knower and the enjoyer. It is our greatest blunder that we think we are the doers.

It has changed my life in the following ways:
-Hinduism has given me a way to look at the cosmos that is both Mystic and Scientific.
-The Hindu
spiritual practice is a way of changing my life and helps me to become a better person so I am better able to serve my fellow man.
-Gives me hope and peace.

It has changed everything. It has changed the way I look at the world and given me a way to harmonize my life with God.

It gives both structure to the Cosmos and to my day to day life. My sect of Hinduism teachs that God is in all and through all. So my Ideal is to live in harmony with the ONE we call GOD.The spiritual practice gives your life structure.

Let me give a small example

Many Hindu's say a prayer before they eat that basicly says. God is in the food, God is in the hunger, God is in the act of eating. If you see God in every action you will become ONE with God.

So the act of eating gives
structure to your life. Its an act of worship. Every act you do as a Hindu is an act of love and worship to both God and you fellow humans.

Peace, love and being happy.

My ideals that I try to live up to are the following.

Treat all beings with respect at all times.

Give more then I take.

Keep my mind on God and good actions at all times.

This is so challenging that I fail all the time. Who cares ,life is about growth thats what I look at. If today I treated others with love it was a good day.

I became a Hindu 20 years ago.

Yes I was a baptist preacher when I was in my early 20's

I looked at all the belief systems I could find. Hinduism was the best one for me.

There is no need to become a Hindu. Its great if thats what you want to do with your life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thus the teacher is verily like god himself.
Some teachers are charlatans. You have a recent example in Asa Ram Bapu. There were earlier examples of the Swaminarayan sect whose videos appeared on the net. There have been others too (if any one doubts, I can search their history on the net). Gujarat seems to be the home of many charlatan gurus.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Some teachers are charlatans. You have a recent example in Asa Ram Bapu. There were earlier examples of the Swaminarayan sect whose videos appeared on the net. There have been others too (if any one doubts, I can search their history on the net). Gujarat seems to be the home of many charlatan gurus.
Gurus running organizations having multifarious activities run the risk of courting trouble. If a widespread interaction by people happens to a Guru who becomes popular, inevitably an organization builds around the Guru. If he restricts the organization to being just a medium for disseminating spiritual knowledge, he would have no problems. But if the organization in his name seeks to have its hand in every pie, so to say, then activities somewhat removed from spirituality are bound to happen. In the end, the guru's image is tarnished or worse.

I think it is unfair, at least at this stage, to consider Asaram Bapu to be involved in any of the nefarious activities that might have taken place in his ashram. Likewise, a few sanyasis of the Swaminarayan movement might have suddenly turned horny – but it should not be a reflection of the magnificent organization that has been built up by the venerable Swamis of the Swaminarayan movement over a period of time. While it is an adage that black sheep exist in every organization, we must be cautious when naming names. We have no right to sully names by association. A good person is a good person and a crook is a crook. Gurus like Asaram Bapu and organizations like Swaminarayan have done immense good to society. Let us be sensitive enough to give them the benefit of doubt till solid proof of their alleged wrong-doing surfaces.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
Your above response is superb however would like minor changes like in:
hat you cannot really join it. It's not a religion that you just one day say, "Oh, I am joining this one" it a purely practical religion which demands your absolute and most sincere commitment to practicing Hinduism. You will need to transform your entire life, be prepared to drop previous habits, form new habits and revaluate all your beliefs about reality and about yourself. In fact in Hinduism even faith in god is a belief that is questioned.

Would rather state that whatever way/path you follow to reach that understanding is covered in the sanatan dharma; so knowingly or unknowingly you are already a follower of the dharma.

Next:
don't think Hinduism is for the average person, if the average person is just somebody looking for some kind of security. It is for people who have a burning desire to know and to become better and loving people. They must have an open mind and be able to ask questions about themselves. Above all, Hinduism is not for anyone who has self-interests in mind such as going to heaven, developing powers, becoming rich and famous. It is for those who are prepared to completely destroy their ego and allow the divine to operate through them. In adivatia Vedanta the whole notion of 'I' is brought into question, and it declares that there is no 'I', everything is just that infinite consciousness, Brahman. The whole notion we have of individual self arises from ignorance. In fact we are nothing more than an aggregate of mental and physical processes, just as Modern science also declares. But, unlike Modern science, Vedanta declares that the life in us does not belong to us, it belongs to That supreme entity itself who enjoys existence through us. He is the doer, the knower and the enjoyer. It is our greatest blunder that we think we are the doers.
Sanatan dharma covers every human being and is for everyone provided the individual has come to that point in evolution where he turns towards his inner self and wants to realise it; for such persons it shows many WAYS/ PATHS to suit his way of life.
Love & rgds

krishnano

Well, the most significant factor for me personally is the freedom of choice that one can have in philosophical leanings. Especially in the popularity of the bhakti movement, devotional singing has always been my favourite form of worship.

Well, to Gaudiya Vaishnavism, Gaura Purnima is the Appearance Day of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Janmashtami is Lord Krishna's Appearance Day, Diwali or the Festival of Lights, and we just celebrated Radhashtami, or the Appearance Day of Srimati Radharani.

Well, the bhakti movement has propagated kirtana, or devotional singing, and harinama sankirtana, or congregational glorification and chanting of the Name of the Lord. This emphasis on bhakti has been both grossly and subtly influenced by the appearance of the Philosopher-Saint, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Gaudiya Vaishnava Hinduism speaks of remembering God 24/7. And ever since I've taken to Gaudiya Vaishnavism, I find that its emphasis on constant remembrance of God very religious - I find it the epitome of true, bona fide religion.

It has changed my life in that I have been pushed to remember God even in the most mundane aspects of my life, such as cooking, buying, and even the way I see things. Since eating and cooking for one's self is considerably selfish, even sinful, a devotee of God engages in worship of God by offering everything to Him. So if you sleep, sleep for God. If you're eating, eat for God. And if you're cooking, rather than cooking for yourself, cook for God. By this process, I find that I can develop remembrance and love for God more easily than in other religions. :)

In the Bhagavad Gita, God says: "Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give away, and whatever austerities you perform — do that, O son of Kunti, as an offering to Me. In this way you will be freed from bondage to work and its auspicious and inauspicious results. With your mind fixed on Me in this principle of renunciation, you will be liberated and come to Me." (BG 9:27-28)

Well, the structure of following the shastras (Scriptures) prove to be both easy and difficult in daily life. Easy in that it does not take so much austerity or pain to do, but hard in that there is so much illusion (maya) in the external world, that it is difficult to follow. Vedic literatures provide everything from science, to how families should be like. :)

You can acheive Krishna-prema, or Love of God, very easily!

Having to explain to others that we don't worship cows and that we are not necessarily polytheistic. XD

Since, perhaps even July in 2006.

Yes. I have read the Bible, the Tanakh, the Qur'an, some Gathas of Zarathusthra, Dao De Jing, Wiccan writings, Dhammapada and the Pure Land Sutras,and various other writings. I have been part of Catholic and Pentecostal Christianity, Wicca, and the Baha'i Faith for a year.

It's the oldest, and thus it is a tested, tried and true path to God. :D Plus, it is considerably a non-sectarian path that tries to show that anyone, no matter what religion or other material designation, can go back home to God.

Investigate with your heart if you seek the Absolute Truth, read Scriptures and Guru-Shastras, and pray that God will guide you. :) You can always start with Bhagavad Gita! :D

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
here is the response to the questions.
Life is to be lived, and Sanatana dharma is all about the way one lives. There is nothing to practice like [before a match]
Life has no holidays as such; on the otherhand it is nothing but a big holiday and so ceberate each moment of life.
Being present itself is the tradition of life.
It is the *MIND* that gets an impact if there is one. There is no imapct in the *NO-MIND* ever.
Chnage is permanent in life and there is no thinking about it. It has been taken /accepted from the begining.

How has Hinduism provided structure in your life?
Life again is stuructured or un-structured depending on your thoughts which is again orginates in the MIND. No-mind has no worries on that score.
The same as LIVING.

Whatever comes to your MIND. Otherwise there are none.
It is not a faith. It is a way of life.
Every way/path are encompassed in Sanatan dharma, which is the understanding.
Sanatan dharma itself encompasses each human and so am born in it by birth.
  • Checkout what you are looking for, first.
  • Then decide.
  • Love & rgds