• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can every sin be forgiven?

We read in:
- Luke 7;47 - "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."
- Matthew 12;31-32 - "And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Does this mean that some sins are unforgivable? Why does God forgive more or less?
Can ya lose the chance for salvation?

Angel1

Angel
The New Teachings of the New Age suggest that we people of this world are as very young children spirits, innocent and imperfect, prone to committing many and repeated errors and transgressions. We are here on Earth precisely to learn and develop into mature and perfected spirits. In the meantime, we are excused and are automatically forgiven. However, if we do not repent and reform, we will continue to suffer the consequences through the application of the Law of Karma. Salvation comes after we are able to attain to a certain prescribed level of development or holiness. The warning about blaspheming the Holy Spirit has no basis in truth and is a false teaching.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
We read in:
- Luke 7;47 - "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."
- Matthew 12;31-32 - "And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Does this mean that some sins are unforgivable? Why does God forgive more or less?
If you're looking for a Christian point of view I have to ask a question. What, according to the Bible, sends a person to hell?

That video told me a bunch! Thx for sharing! :)
I was thinking about all kinds of sin (and unlike understandings of what sin is).
Please come with more info if you got some!

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply the wilful and obstinate rejection of God until the very end. It's unforgivable, by nature of the fact that refusal of God, is the refusal of reconciliation with God.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Paul wrote much of the NT and was a big sinner. Peter also is known for many stumblings.

There is no sin where someone cannot be forgiven except for the sin of rejecting the One who forgives.

I don't believe every sin will be forgiven by god. Not the one I've always believed in anyway. And as long as there are people constantly debating who will be forgiven and who will be going to hell, we will never even come close to understanding god, the world we live in or even each other. Most of us are completely in denial, mainly concerning ourselves and the "sins" we commit (especially towards other people).

On the subject of God forgiving every sin. What if you were sinned against almost constantly by certain people throughout your life. You give these people chances to say sorry for what they did and they refuse. Where would god stand then? Would he forgive the sinner, even if they won't make amends for the things they've done (to the "injured party")? Well that must be music to every sinners ears. I know plenty of people who would buy that theory, why wouldn't they? But what about the victims? Where there is serious " sin" that's taken place there's usually a victim I've found.

atpollard

On the subject of God forgiving every sin. What if you were sinned against almost constantly by certain people throughout your life. You give these people chances to say sorry for what they did and they refuse. Where would god stand then? Would he forgive the sinner, even if they won't make amends for the things they've done (to the "injured party")? Well that must be music to every sinners ears. I know plenty of people who would buy that theory, why wouldn't they? But what about the victims? Where there is serious " sin" that's taken place there's usually a victim I've found.
I have been wronged. I know people who have suffered wrongs best described as monstrous. I have done things best described as monstrous.

If the story is to be believed, which I think that it is, then God was as unwilling to let any sin just slide as you seem to be (not a criticism, just an observation). So God took the only man who deserved no punishment, the Son he loved most in the universe, and had him beaten beyond recognition as a human being, publicly shamed by the ungrateful people whose punishment he was bearing, tortured to death on a cross ... and then things got worse as God poured out His full condemnation on his Son.

How much more of a 'pound of flesh' do you want for any wrong you feel might not have been. covered by the price already paid? Personally, as a sinner, I had no trouble imagining that God was out to get me and wanted to punish me for what I had done ... I couldn't even blame him for feeling that way. It was believing that God could (and actually would) forgive me that took some convincing.

I am available for a private conversation if you want to talk to someone who knows a little about how it feels to be wronged and to wrong others, otherwise, I pray you find peace for whatever is the story behind your observation.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

The forgiveness of Jesus is not "sorrow" for sin but payment for sin, which is different. If I kill your child then repent and ask your forgiveness, even should you extend forgiveness to me, your child will not resurrect. But Jesus can forgive sin unto the resurrection of death--to eternal life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
We read in:

Didn't the people of Hebrews 6:4-6 loose their salvation ?_______

The ' age to come ' is near. That means Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
Those unforgiven would have to fall into the category of No goodwill, but being willfully wicked - Psalms 92:7
They will be classified with the haughty ' goats ' of Matthew 25:31-32 - at the soon coming ' time of separation ' on earth.
Whereas, the humble ' sheep ' can be saved ( delivered / rescued ) through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
The ' sheep ' can remain alive on earth, and continue living on earth right into the start of Jesus' coming 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't believe every sin will be forgiven by god. Not the one I've always believed in anyway. And as long as there are people constantly debating who will be forgiven and who will be going to hell, we will never even come close to understanding god, the world we live in or even each other. Most of us are completely in denial, mainly concerning ourselves and the "sins" we commit (especially towards other people).

Yes, the sin of Matthew 12:32 ; Hebrews 6:4-6 is Not forgivable.

However, there should be No debating about going to hell.
Can you think of anyone righteous who died and went to hell ?______
The day Jesus' died Jesus went to the Bible's hell or grave. - Acts of the Apostles 2:27
Jesus taught: sleep in death - John 11:11-14
The old Hebrew Scriptures also teach: sleep in death - Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13; Ecclesiastes 9:5
So, ' biblical hell ' is just the temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead until they are resurrected - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
In a nut shell, what happens to the wicked is that they will be: destroyed forever ( annihilated ) - Psalms 92:7.
Biblical hell ends up empty before temporary biblical hell ends up in a symbolic ' second death '- Revelation 20:13-14
After everyone in hell is ' delivered up ' (resurrected ) out of the Bible's temporary hell or grave, then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that ' second death ' for vacated hell.
Jesus will destroy Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B
Satan ends up in ' second death ' - Revelation 21:8
So, it is ' second death ' that is a fitting term for the destruction of the wicked - Psalms 92:7 - including for Satan.
We are Not given the choice of: repent or hell, but the choice of: repent or perish ( be destroyed ) - 2 Peter 3:9 B.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If you're looking for a Christian point of view I have to ask a question. What, according to the Bible, sends a person to hell?

What sent Jesus to hell ?________ Acts of the Apostles 2:27
Jesus was righteous, but Jesus died for our: sins.
So, it is sin that sends people to the grave ( Biblical hell ) - Romans 6:23; Romans 6:7

Biblical hell is just mankind's temporary common grave where the dead sleep in death until resurrected out of hell - Revelation 1:18
Jesus and the old Hebrew Scriptures teach only unconscious sleep in death
- John 11:11-14; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13 ; Ecclesiastes 9:5
According to Revelation 20:13-14 after everyone in the Bible's hell is ' delivered up' ( resurrected ) out of the Bible's temporary hell or grave, then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into a symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.
So, the temporary Bible's grave or hell ' dies ', so to speak, out of existence. No more death -> 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8
There will be No more death on earth starting with Jesus' coming 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth.- Revelation 21:4-5

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Didn't the people of Hebrews 6:4-6 loose their salvation ?_______

The ' age to come ' is near. That means Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
Those unforgiven would have to fall into the category of No goodwill, but being willfully wicked - Psalms 92:7
They will be classified with the haughty ' goats ' of Matthew 25:31-32 - at the soon coming ' time of separation ' on earth.
Whereas, the humble ' sheep ' can be saved ( delivered / rescued ) through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
The ' sheep ' can remain alive on earth, and continue living on earth right into the start of Jesus' coming 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth.

No, the people of Hebrews 6 did not lose their salvation. Please try to confine yourself to one or two ideas so we can discuss them rather than 20 or so rhetorical statements. This is a forum, not a poster board.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
For it is IMPOSSIBLE (Hebrews 6:4-6 )for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift.......(vs 5) and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, (vs 6) if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance;........

They will Not be part of the coming age ( world to come ) when Christ will govern over earth for one-thousand years - Revelation 20:6

- Matthew 12:32

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
For it is IMPOSSIBLE (Hebrews 6:4-6 )for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift.......(vs 5) and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, (vs 6) if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance;........

They will Not be part of the coming age ( world to come ) when Christ will govern over earth for one-thousand years - Revelation 20:6

- Matthew 12:32

Consider: the Heb. 6 passage could also be saying these people have assurance! "It is impossible to renew them again unto repentance" as in "they won't be getting saved a second time".

But if your interpretation is true, note that the same statement, "it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance" would have to indicate that they could never again regain salvation after losing it. In recent years, people including Prince and some members of the Jackson family have retreated from the music world and the limelight to return to fellowship with the Jehovah's Witnesses. Were they welcomed back or did JW members say, "No! You cannot return to the church, it is impossible for you to be renewed unto repentance!"?

Of course this did not occur, because you believe that people may find grace via repentance, even after salvation. In the same way, Heb. 10 and other scriptures commonly quoted as proof of loss of salvation MUST indicate that anyone's backslidden loss of salvation is of necessity a permanent, unalterable loss. And God is too merciful for such a thing, isn't He?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A person would have to commit the unforgivable sin - Matthew 12:32 - in order to Not be forgiven.
Those of Hebrews 6:4-6 have reached that unforgivable point of No return.
ALL who have Not committed the sin of Luke 12:10 can return to the flock through sincere repenting - 2 Corinthians 2:6-8
Those who commit the unforgivable sin are like those who draw back, or shrink back to perdition or destruction - Hebrews 10:38-39
What does Matthew 24:13 say ?