• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Christianity Adapt to Survive?

joe1776

A traditionalist is a person who supports the established customs and beliefs of his or her society or group, and does not want to change them. For example. within the Catholic Church, a group of traditionalists wants a return to positions as they were before the Second Vatican Council (1962–65). One of those positions was that Heaven was reserved for Catholics only.

As I see it, the idea of belonging to an elite group favored by God made a strong appeal to the arrogant side of human nature. And so, I suspect these Catholic traditionalists of being highly infected with arrogance.

But now, Pope Francis, a good and humble man, has said that even atheists might get to Heaven with good works. Wow, imagine that! The traditionalists must have had strokes when they heard that.

But let's suppose that Pope Francis's position will lead not just Catholics but all Christians into a new era of harmony with their brothers and sisters of all beliefs. What happens to the requirements for Salvation? Why would anyone need the Catholic church or any other Christian faith?

Well, it sounds like the Church will maintain that it is still our best hope for entry to Heaven based on good works because it gives great moral guidance. Now, this is an interesting claim because it wasn't that long ago that Pope John Paul II made over one hundred public apologies during his reign. He asked forgiveness for the sins of his predecessors (including for the sinful Crusades).

Bottom Line: The Catholic Church, like Christianity on the whole, is doing what it can to adapt and survive in a changing, more sophisticated, social environment. But if the idea of Heaven as a country club reserved for Christians isn't going to be received as credible anymore then they can't turn back. And if their claims to high-grade moral guidance can't be backed with evidence, what's left? What will they have to offer in order to move forward and survive?

Please post your comments.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A traditionalist is a person who supports the established customs and beliefs of his or her society or group, and does not want to change them. For example. within the Catholic Church, a group of traditionalists wants a return to positions as they were before the Second Vatican Council (1962–65). One of those positions was that Heaven was reserved for Catholics only.

As I see it, the idea of belonging to an elite group favored by God made a strong appeal to the arrogant side of human nature. And so, I suspect these Catholic traditionalists of being highly infected with arrogance.

But now, Pope Francis, a good and humble man, has said that even atheists might get to Heaven with good works. Wow, imagine that! The traditionalists must have had strokes when they heard that.

But let's suppose that Pope Francis's position will lead not just Catholics but all Christians into a new era of harmony with their brothers and sisters of all beliefs. What happens to the requirements for Salvation? Why would anyone need the Catholic church or any other Christian faith?

Well, it sounds like the Church will maintain that it is still our best hope for entry to Heaven based on good works because it gives great moral guidance. Now, this is an interesting claim because it wasn't that long ago that Pope John Paul II made over one hundred public apologies during his reign. He asked forgiveness for the sins of his predecessors (including the Crusades).

Bottom Line: The Catholic Church, like Christianity on the whole, is doing what it can to adapt and survive in a changing, more sophisticated, social environment. But if the idea of Heaven as a country club reserved for Christians isn't going to be received as credible anymore then they can't turn back. And if their claims to high-grade moral guidance can't be backed with evidence, what's left? What will they have to offer in order to move forward and survive?

Hopefully given enough time, it will be relegated back to its mythological roots as with all the other pantheon of ancient gods recorded throughout history where it rightfully belongs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The True religion shouldn't have to adapt.

b83cb4a35b22d470cef5e2a231e48c6f.jpg

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I think the future is not on the side of traditional Christian denominations. I think to remain relevant they will have to liberalize their thinking and embrace the New Age/Spirituality (not the best term) ideas and movements. I think the Abrahamic religions were better suited for an earlier stage in mankind's development before each individual felt empowered to think for themselves given the dramatic increase in education and information available.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
All religions and denominations evolve, and that includes Christianity as well. And they should evolve at least to a point if they are to be pertinent to the societies they're found in. Therefore, it more becomes a matter of which areas should be allowed to change and how much should they change.

IOW, no church is a replica of "the Way", and even the scriptures themselves point out changes that were being made right after Jesus died, such as we see in Acts.

joe1776

I think the future is not on the side of traditional Christian denominations. I think to remain relevant they will have to liberalize their thinking and embrace the New Age/Spirituality (not the best term) ideas and movements. I think the Abrahamic religions were better suited for an earlier stage in mankind's development before each individual felt empowered to think for themselves given the dramatic increase in education and information available.
Can you give me an example of a New Age idea that could be adapted?

joe1776

All religions and denominations evolve, and that includes Christianity as well. And they should evolve at least to a point if they are to be pertinent to the societies they're found in. Therefore, it more becomes a matter of which areas should be allowed to change and how much should they change.

IOW, no church is a replica of "the Way", and even the scriptures themselves point out changes that were being made right after Jesus died, such as we see in Acts.
In what ways do you see Christianity filling a need for Christians in our foreseeable future?

joe1776

Here's two:

A more pantheistic thinking of God where he is in each of us and not just an external being.

Reincarnation.
But, we could add those ideas on our own. We wouldn't need the Christian clergy to tell us it's OK. How do THEY use those ideas to stay relevant?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
But, we could add those ideas on our own. We wouldn't need the Christian clergy to tell us it's OK.
Certainly, we don't need Christianity period, but I was giving examples of how they can adapt to survive (which was the thread title question).
How do THEY use those ideas to stay relevant?
These ideas can help form a view of Christianity that is ultimately more intellectually palatable to a modern audience.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Well, it sounds like the Church will maintain that it is still our best hope for entry to Heaven based on good works because it gives great moral guidance. Now, this is an interesting claim because it wasn't that long ago that Pope John Paul II made over one hundred public apologies during his reign. He asked forgiveness for the sins of his predecessors (including for the sinful Crusades).

What is being discarded, slowly, is the sense of exclusivity and religious claims that 'my way is the only way'. What replaces it to me is a sense that all religions are pathways to Truth and that one picks one that is most appealing.

It is an acknowledgement that the "Blind Men and the Elephant" story is really a true statement about religious belief.

What remains as a philosophical/theological basis are the elements common to all faiths and to secular humanists.

eldios

No religions of this world will survive the day of the Lord when he comes with fire which will happen very soon.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I guess the Catholics just don't care how they are wrong, as long as they are wrong.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But, we could add those ideas on our own. We wouldn't need the Christian clergy to tell us it's OK. How do THEY use those ideas to stay relevant?
To me classical preaching will diminish but leading services, organizing efforts to help the disadvantaged, offering 'spiritual direction' to those seeking it will remain.

joe1776

What is being discarded, slowly, is the sense of exclusivity and religious claims that 'my way is the only way'. What replaces it to me is a sense that all religions are pathways to Truth and that one picks one that is most appealing..
Are religions pathways to the truth or just the claims of men who meant well, but knew no more than you or me?

It can take very long time for all the false claims to fall away and leave the truth. The claim of exclusive rights lasted about two thousand years. Think of all the people who were on false paths during their lifetimes while that happened.

joe1776

To me classical preaching will diminish but leading services, organizing efforts to help the disadvantaged, offering 'spiritual direction' to those seeking it will remain.
A vast organization capable of great charitable efforts. That's useful. Spiritual direction? Isn't that what they've been failing at for a very long time?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Are religions pathways to the truth or just the claims of men who meant well, but knew no more than you or me?

It can take very long time for all the false claims to fall away and leave the truth. The claim of exclusive rights lasted about two thousand years. Think of all the people who were on false paths during their lifetimes while that happened.
To me, religion is a museum that tries to preserve, imperfectly, the life and message of the Christ or Avatar. The majority of religious figures for the most part were no different than us.

I agree it takes time. Learning is hard and slow, there is no magic bullet. And society as a whole is progressing as well so what was satisfying at an earlier time is less satisfying today.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member