• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can atheists be spiritual?

satori8

I was wondering for atheists if they can be spiritual?

I know some are Buddhist, which coincides well because God is an irrelevant topic for Buddhists because they do not believe in a personal God. However, some atheists I have spoken to, felt being in awe with the universe was spiritual, though they do not believe in God. But is it possible for an atheist to be spiritual, or on a spiritual path at all? Or is it not much of a concern? Thanks.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have suspected for some time now that belief in God is in fact an obstacle to spirituality.

There is definitely no reason why an Atheist can't be religious and/or spiritual.

satori8

Yes I would hope atheists could experience a sense of spiritualty in some form, because for myself, I consider myself more individualistic on the path, IOW I can find bits and pieces of truth in various ones, and just formulate my own way of leading my life. Sometimes it's the question which is more intriguing than the answer. So I would hope atheists could also experience the awe in life as well.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I suppose it would take atheism being an actual conscious rejection of god for it not to be possible.

Despite what some people (including many Muslims and at least some Christians) seem to believe, that is exceedingly rare if not all-out impossible.

If anything, it may be helpful to be aware yet separated of the concept of god.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
The actual conscious disbelief of god/s is very freeing. It is hard to define. However, worshipping no god and realizing what is really going on around gives more meaning to your life. You begin to deeply analyze perspectives on different matters and appreciate life more.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
The actual conscious disbelief of god/s is very freeing. It is hard to define. However, worshipping no god and realizing what is really going on around gives more meaning to your life. You begin to deeply analyze perspectives on different matters and appreciate life more.

It must be difficult not having a belief in god when you live in the bible belt!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
spiritual

adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal.
2. of or pertaining to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life.
3. closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.: the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics.
4. of or pertaining to spirits or to spiritualists; supernatural or spiritualistic.
5. characterized by or suggesting predominance of the spirit; ethereal or delicately refined: She is more of a spiritual type than her rowdy brother.

Galen.Iksnudnard

Sure, many people fall into the category of "spiritual but not religious" which in my opinion is a perfectly valid worldview. Some people just don't like all the rigid formality of going to church, but still want to find a path of self-betterment; others just take a more eclectic path to becoming spiritual. You don't necessarily need to believe in the Christian God to do so, and some of the most spiritual and kind people I have met have in fact been pretty strong atheists.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
It must be difficult not having a belief in god when you live in the bible belt!

It was more difficult than not. However I would like to believe it has given me more patience and understanding with those who still do believe in Christianity. I eventually figured it out by myself and having parents who did not fiercely disagree helped. However, I have seen the way that people are taught not to question things and have it installed from birth into their every aspect of life.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It was more difficult than not. However I would like to believe it has given me more patience and understanding with those who still do believe in Christianity. I eventually figured it out by myself and having parents who did not fiercely disagree helped. However, I have seen the way that people are taught not to question things and have it installed from birth into their every aspect of life.

It is sad but not surprising that people are taught not to question things.

Setepenaset

Follower of Isis
Yes, atheists can be spiritual. Although I don't consider myself an atheist, a lot of nontheistic Quakers are atheists. Atheism just involves rejection of belief in the existence of God, it doesn't preclude spirituality.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It can be difficult to accept or even to understand, Jetson, but rest assured, there is little to feel pitiful about in atheism itself.

You might benefit from interacting directly and openly with a few of us. There is really very little significance in either Atheism or Theism in and of themselves. They're just minor, almost random details of one's religious stance.

Setepenaset

Follower of Isis
Wouldn't all non-theistic Quakers be, by definition, pretty much atheist?

Not necessarily. Many of us, while denying the existence of a personal God, also affirm the existence of a sort of "divine spark" in every person (what George Fox, the founder of Quakerism, called "that of God in every man" and what Quakers call the "Inner Light"). While Fox himself, and most Quakers today, believe the Inner Light is more or less the same as what mainstream Christians call the "Indwelling Holy Spirit", nontheistic Quakers believe it is part of the human psyche. Not actually God, but the closest thing to God that you're going to find.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Not necessarily. Many of us, while denying the existence of a personal God, also affirm the existence of a sort of "divine spark" in every person (what George Fox, the founder of Quakerism, called "that of God in every man" and what Quakers call the "Inner Light"). While Fox himself, and most Quakers today, believe the Inner Light is more or less the same as what mainstream Christians call the "Indwelling Holy Spirit", nontheistic Quakers believe it is part of the human psyche. Not actually God, but the closest thing to God that you're going to find.

That's very interesting.

Knight of Albion

Yes, that is an interesting viewpoint and when you stop and think about merely a variant on what every other religious/spiritual person thinks.

After all, what form does God take????? It's the one question I tend to shy away from asking. It's a highly personalized view and people can find and form their own opinion.
I'm reminded of that famous quote, attributed to the Divine, 'I am the God of a thousand names'. And I dare say rather more identities!

I don't expect the Divine minds though, just so long as we worship through loving Service.

Going back to the topic. Can an atheist be spiritual? I don't see that they can, certainly not in the true and proper sense of the word, as they are denying the Spirit....
Though they can - and many do - carry out great acts of kindness and humanity.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Atheist, are ones that say there is no God. This is so pitiful. Psalm 53:1 states the fool says in his heart there is no God and there is no good in them. Proverbs 20:3 states a fool is always meddling.

Not all atheists make the claim there is no god.
What is pitiful is your ignorance of atheism.
Using the propaganda of your favored deity does not help you understand atheism.