• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone please tell me about Korean Kwan Um Mahayana Buddhism?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is probably this one:

Kwan Um School of Zen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia says that it is basically a mix of Pure Land and Zen teachings, which is to be expected (Zen and Pure Land are the most influential schools in China, and Chinese Buddhism is a strong influence on Vietnamese and Korean Buddhism).

It is an interesting mix, because Zen and Pure Land are very different, arguably marvelous complementary practices. Zen is all about the practicioner learning to educate his own mind and body so that he manages to make serene yet considerated decisions and be more authentic to himself. Pure Land is all about reflection and gratitude on the vow of Amida Buddha (Amitabha). a sage and saint who deeply realized the need for all sentient people to find release from their frustrations.

But please, don't let others decide how fitting the group may be for you. Reach your own conclusions.

ZooGirl02

It is probably this one:

Kwan Um School of Zen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia says that it is basically a mix of Pure Land and Zen teachings, which is to be expected (Zen and Pure Land are the most influential schools in China, and Chinese Buddhism is a strong influence on Vietnamese and Korean Buddhism).

It is an interesting mix, because Zen and Pure Land are very different, arguably marvelous complementary practices. Zen is all about the practicioner learning to educate his own mind and body so that he manages to make serene yet considerated decisions and be more authentic to himself. Pure Land is all about reflection and gratitude on the vow of Amida Buddha (Amitabha). a sage and saint who deeply realized the need for all sentient people to find release from their frustrations.

But please, don't let others decide how fitting the group may be for you. Reach your own conclusions.

Oh okay. Thanks for the information! Can you tell me how liberal this group is?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I really have no idea. From my experience, it may well be heterogeneous on its outlook. You may easily find out that you have a better connection with some teachers (and fellow practicioners) than with others.

ZooGirl02

I really have no idea. From my experience, it may well be heterogeneous on its outlook. You may easily find out that you have a better connection with some teachers (and fellow practicioners) than with others.

Oh okay. Thanks LuisDantas!

koan

Really not much Pure Land practice within the Kwan Um shcool. The kwan um school of Son (Zen) is mainly based on the teachings of Lin Chi (chinese, ( rinzai, japanese) mixed with interpretations from Chinul (korean) and of course the Founder himself, Ven. Seung Sahn Sunim. This school is asscociated with the Jogye buddhist order of Korea. The school is very liberal. They have their main temple in Korea, and as Stated, Providence RI. One of the main questions one is asked to explore in this tradition( as well as Cha'n in China and Rinzai Zen in Japan), is "Who am I." This may be asked in many ways, Who is meditating, who is practicing, etc. The aim is, what is called, "Direct Pointing," In other words, what makes you tick. The Zen master already knows, his/her Job is to guide you on your quest.