• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone explain Death of God theology a bit more substantially to me?

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
Also, if someone can explain Boenhoffer's religion without God, it would be appreciated as well.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I know nothing about death of God theology. But I do know that Nietzsche (following Hegel) said "God is dead" to express the idea that the Christian god was no longer being thought of in the ways he had been thought of in earlier ages. Also that the sciences had made it impossible for educated people to think of him as educated people in earlier ages had thought of him. That is, Nietzsche was not arguing that God had actually died, but only that the old notion of God had died.

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
I know nothing about death of God theology. But I do know that Nietzsche (following Hegel) said "God is dead" to express the idea that the Christian god was no longer being thought of in the ways he had been thought of in earlier ages. Also that the sciences had made it impossible for educated people to think of him as educated people in earlier ages had thought of him. That is, Nietzsche was not arguing that God had actually died, but only that the old notion of God had died.
I am assuming this is linked to the concept of transvaluation, right? I am not all that well-versed with Nietzsche outside of McIntyre's criticisms of him and the genealogical tradition.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I am assuming this is linked to the concept of transvaluation, right? I am not all that well-versed with Nietzsche outside of McIntyre's criticisms of him and the genealogical tradition.

It's been about 40 years since my last course in which I studied Nietzsche, but so far as I recall the death of God makes the transvaluation not only desirable, but timely too. Not sure, really. That's just my memory shouting across a vast canyon of time at me.

leov

Death of God theology was a movement in post-war theology that focused on the idea that God had ceased to exist (how this had happened was considered differently by different people), not the standard incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection model of Christianity.

Death of God movement | Christian theology
Got it. I have my pet theory. Example of idea may be seen in theory of Bicameralism. Changes in human CNS that came with pollutions of industrial world , changes in our perceptions glands and brain, we stopped detecting the other world.

susanblange

Also, if someone can explain Boenhoffer's religion without God, it would be appreciated as well.
Heaven and Hell are the realm of the dead. Earth is the "land of the living". God has taken on human flesh and is known as "The Messiah". Since we're all going to die, the Messiah wants to be executed. Then she will return to earth in power and great glory. Death will be conquered and put away. Prophecy ends with Zechariah 14.

susanblange

Whoa, kiddo. Uncle Terry says that you need to share that desire with Elijah, as soon as possible.
Elijah knows all about that. He knows everything about me. He was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and I told him it wasn't going to kill him and that we would die together. I also told him that I would heal him, it's something I can do and I've done it before. The next time he went to the doctor, the cancer had disappeared.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The 'Death of God' Theology' was an older atheist saying that claimed modern knowledge of our history and science of our physical existence made the argument for the existence of the God(s) of ancient world views like Judaism, and Christianity are no longer rationally and logically feasible, therefore God does not exist.

I do believe that the ancient anthropomorphic God(s) of ancient world views do not exist, but that does not negate the existence of a universal 'Source' some call God(s).

Terry Sampson

Is God Dead? - Wikipedia

Screenshot_2019-10-06 Behind TIME's 'Is Truth Dead ' Cover.png

MonkeyFire

I believe God and the universe (Heaven) simultaneously ended and then began in a marvelous heap of super hot fire like a great phoenix.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Death of God theology was a movement in post-war theology that focused on the idea that God had ceased to exist (how this had happened was considered differently by different people), not the standard incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection model of Christianity.

Death of God movement | Christian theology

It was a philosopical movement. Origninated by Nietzsche. Bore fruit in many ways in Europe and later America.

The revolution of the 60's and 70's in America were a product of it. Basically it was atheism and Christianity clashing.

As ruling powers go, when the dust settled, atheism won and Christianity lost. So, ever since, God and Christ are being removed from any representation that they can possibly be removed from.

But, did God die? How silly. And in the midst of this accepted and atheistic philosophy there arose the Jesus movement. The Jesus Freaks. Those who were part of the drug culture, part of the God is dead culture, part of the reject authority culture, came to Christ and were saved.

Good-Ole-Rebel

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I had never heard of it prior to this post, but it's interesting. I like to say who made who ... you know ... the AC/DC song as a statement rather than a question. Who made who and who made you too and I guess who made everything else as well, so who's who? ... Or should that be a statement too? Anyway, our perceptions change. What we understood 2000 years ago in contrast to what we understand today is different, the way we view life different, etc. I'll say this: Men and woman ... Not just a man or a woman, but men and woman, or rather the human race, and then there's other species (is that spelled right?) who could be said to be who too. I guess I'm saying it's all God, so no ... God is not dead, but forever descending and ascending. From conception to birth to death ... x infinity no matter what world or universe or environment. Perception or paradigms change ... it's called repentance in the bible ... you know change. Life changes, things change and that's just the way life is.