• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an Ordained Minister exorcise salt and water?

Xerendipity

Hello all ....

I really had no idea where to post this, so if there is a better place for it, please let me know, or if moderators could move it, that would be wonderful and much appreciated.

In any case, I would like to bless our new home and have read that Exorcised water and salt is far better to do so than holy or 'blessed' water. It is suggested, however, that a Priest or Bishop or Deacon perform the ritual or exorcism of the salt and water. My question is, can an ordained minister also do it?

Thank you.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
House blessings are performed in different ways depending on the religious tradition. I would recommend going with whatever is in keeping with yours. I do not know your religious tradition, and would thus be unfamiliar with the rules your tradition has for what is and isn't considered an acceptable method of house blessing, including but not limited to the creation of holy water. While I could say a lot about how house blessings and blessings in general are done in contemporary Pagan traditions and Druidry in particular, it doesn't sound like that will be of any use in your context.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hello all ....

I really had no idea where to post this, so if there is a better place for it, please let me know, or if moderators could move it, that would be wonderful and much appreciated.

In any case, I would like to bless our new home and have read that Exorcised water and salt is far better to do so than holy or 'blessed' water. It is suggested, however, that a Priest or Bishop or Deacon perform the ritual or exorcism of the salt and water. My question is, can an ordained minister also do it?

Thank you.
that would depend on which group you belong to. Some people just use oil and pray a blessing. Usually, no exorcism is necessary

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Hello all ....

Thank you.
Enjoy your new home. What a blessing! :)

I find the idea of "exorcised" salt and water a little strange. I've never heard anyone ever say that salt or water can be demon possessed. There is nothing inherently evil about either salt or water.

As far as which ritual to go with, I don't think it really matters. Holy Water is simply regular ordinary water than has had the blessing said over it to make it suitable for baptism--there is nothing magical about Holy Water. It is a symbol, a tool, used by the priest to bless. Similarly, there would not be anything magical about "exorcised" salt and water. So use whatever symbol is most meaningful to you.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I find the idea of "exorcised" salt and water a little strange. I've never heard anyone ever say that salt or water can be demon possessed. There is nothing inherently evil about either salt or water.
Clearly you've never kept your eyes open while swimming underwater in the ocean.

Seriously, though, I think the OP was meaning "consecrated" more than "exorcised."

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Clearly you've never kept your eyes open while swimming underwater in the ocean.
LOL, true. I grew up at the beach and loved to go way out there where the waves were just huge swells. I had absolutely no concept that there were fish and stuff below the surface. Then a movie came out called JAWS... I haven't gone back out in the water since. :)
Seriously, though, I think the OP was meaning "consecrated" more than "exorcised."
Could be.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Hello all ....

Thank you.
Are you Catholic? I've never heard of salt and water used, even in actual exorcism. When a Catholic priest blesses a home, he just uses holy water.