• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a literal Genesis creation story really hold up?

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
The Bible can mean something different to everyone.
If you don't think that is true then look at all the division that is caused by telling someone else what it means.
Everyone thinks they know what it means and think they have the right to impose it in on everyone else.

fools.

The bible says not to judge.

It also says not to call people fools.

"but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." ~Matthew 5:22

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
This thread is about whether the scripture is tobe interpreted literally or not.
You are taking it literally and i do not, so we are at an impasse.
I can't speak to a literal view of the Scriptures because all that does is judge others.

The Bible can mean something different to everyone.
If you don't think that is true then look at all the division that is caused by telling someone else what it means.
Everyone thinks they know what it means and think they have the right to impose it in on everyone else.

fools.

The bible says not to judge.
1) I don't take the texts literally. (If you've taken the time to look at my other posts, that would be clear to you)
2) Yes, the bible can mean something different to everyone. The mistake you're making is exactly the one you're accusing me of. You're not taking that individual uniqueness thread and combining it with all the other unique threads. Interpretation is like a blanket, woven from individual strands of thread. One thread is always an incomplete interpretation. Interpretation requires all the threads to be considered together.

allfoak

Alchemist
It also says not to call people fools.

"but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." ~Matthew 5:22

Yes it is true.
Thank you for pointing that out.
I am sorry.
One should try and help the foolish rather than judge them.
Maybe it is time to take a break.

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
1) I don't take the texts literally. (If you've taken the time to look at my other posts, that would be clear to you)
2) Yes, the bible can mean something different to everyone. The mistake you're making is exactly the one you're accusing me of. You're not taking that individual uniqueness thread and combining it with all the other unique threads. Interpretation is like a blanket, woven from individual strands of thread. One thread is always an incomplete interpretation. Interpretation requires all the threads to be considered together.

First of all i don't have time to read all of your posts.
Second i don't need to memorize the book to understand one verse.
It is not written that way.

outhouse

Atheistically
If it is not a personal activity then someone else has the right to tell me what it means and that is completely against what the scriptures say how we should live.

So you think appealing to ignorance will give you better understanding of what is being taught?

You do understand people go to church to learn how to understand these text, and they learn from learned men.

There are people here with no education at all, and there are people well learned from years of study, you would be wise to learn and know the difference after reading words of wisdom.

outhouse

Atheistically
First of all i don't have time to read all of your posts.
Second i don't need to memorize the book to understand one verse.
It is not written that way.

So taking something out of context is the proper method and all the books of the bible were written to be quote mined for content?

allfoak

Alchemist
So you think appealing to ignorance will give you better understanding of what is being taught?

You do understand people go to church to learn how to understand these text, and they learn from learned men.

There are people here with no education at all, and there are people well learned from years of study, you would be wise to learn and know the difference after reading words of wisdom.

You must be talking to yourself.
you have no idea of my level of understanding yet you judge me.

those that have been "educated",
meaning i have gone to college to study Bible,
generally know the least about the Bible.

It has taken me more than 20yrs to get past my education.

To quote Einstein:
"The only thing that gets in the way of me learning anything is my education."

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
My response was based on each reply you wrote.

You did not reply to a single question asked of you, telling is it not?

i have already answered your questions.
To tell someone what the Bible is supposed to mean to them is heresy.
Paul said it himself.

People are just making things up and calling it truth.
Someone even made up the method in which i am supposed to study the book.

let's just leave it at that.
I have no way of explaining to you on this forum that Christians are being led astray.

outhouse

Atheistically
To tell someone what the Bible is supposed to mean to them is heresy.
Paul said it himself..

Who cares what Paul may have said or not depending on which epistles your talking about?

People are just making things up and calling it truth.

Like what?

Someone even made up the method in which i am supposed to study the book

Some methods are better then others. But I have no idea what or how, to even address your reply

I have no way of explaining to you on this forum that Christians are being led astray

That is a personal problem on your part.

Disagreeing with religion is part of life, most based on ancient mens mythology, need to be taken with a grain of salt. Not literally obsessed over.

allfoak

Alchemist
Who cares what Paul may have said or not depending on which epistles your talking about?

Like what?

Some methods are better then others. But I have no idea what or how, to even address your reply

That is a personal problem on your part.

Disagreeing with religion is part of life, most based on ancient mens mythology, need to be taken with a grain of salt. Not literally obsessed over.

i am not going to get into this with you i'm sorry
Call me what you will but we have views that are very different and i don't want to argue with you about them.

It would be beneficial to do this face to face but not here.