• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

psychoslice

Veteran Member
thing
You make no sense. You say you are not going against me but you are going against me because...

I care very little thing about your judgments of me.

It only shows me what you are...big headed with an ego problem.
You poor little, it seems everyone is against you.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
See Matthew 19:"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'

Did you read that?

Jesus said God made us male and female.

5 and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?

Did you read that?

FOR THIS REASON---a man will leave his father and mother and that the TWO will become ONE FLESH.

The male and female bodies were specifically made to become one flesh.

This shows us easily, plainly, and clearly that homosexuality is not from God.
It shows us easily, plainly and clearly that the writers of Genesis were explaining why males and females copulate. The absence of explanation of same-sex copulation doesn't mean that it "shouldn't happen." It may mean that the writers were unaware of it, or that they thought it was "unnatural," which science now tells us is mistaken. Just as science now tells us that (contrary to the writers of Genesis) the earth is not disc-shaped, nor is the sky a rigid dome that sits on that "disc."

JoStories

, but you have to admit that being gay isnt what we were naturally designed to do. procreation of the species cant work if everyone is homosexual in a bisexual race. its simple scientific logic.

I don;t have to admit any such thing. If being gay were so unnatural, as you intimate, why does it run in families? Why are we close to identifying a genetic component? The world is severely over populated as it is and you wish to promote the idea that we need more people on the planet? A planet that is more and more hard pressed to sustain the people we have now. I cannot imagine a more myopic POV.

JoStories

So Jesus hung around with men all the time and didn't have a girlfriend? Just saying.
There is a school of thought that he did and that it was Mary Magdalene. In Jewish culture, it would have been very odd for him not to have a wife or at least a concubine. I am of the sect that believes he did have a wife but the RCC did not wish to promote that idea. Not entirely sure why celibacy was seen as divine. It makes very little sense to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not entirely sure why celibacy was seen as divine. It makes very little sense to me.
Because of substance dualism. The flesh is corrupt and tempted to sin, while the soul struggles toward God. Sex is a dirty no-no unless you're doing it to make babies, then it's okay to hold your nose and do it. There's also the whole idea of women being temptresses and hindering the spiritual growth of men by distracting him with carnal pleasure. Also, by being celibate, you can completely devote your life to God without the hassle of a family to care for.

When you cut through it all, that's the basic idea of why celibacy is promoted. Doesn't matter if it's in Christianity, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, etc. The reasoning is much the same in all of them, that sex is a big distraction and ultimately a base, animalistic thing.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
There is a school of thought that he did and that it was Mary Magdalene. In Jewish culture, it would have been very odd for him not to have a wife or at least a concubine. I am of the sect that believes he did have a wife but the RCC did not wish to promote that idea. Not entirely sure why celibacy was seen as divine. It makes very little sense to me.

I think he and MM could have had a romance, if he wasn't married to his job.

JoStories

Because of substance dualism. The flesh is corrupt and tempted to sin, while the soul struggles toward God. Sex is a dirty no-no unless you're doing it to make babies, then it's okay to hold your nose and do it. There's also the whole idea of women being temptresses and hindering the spiritual growth of men by distracting him with carnal pleasure. Also, by being celibate, you can completely devote your life to God without the hassle of a family to care for.

When you cut through it all, that's the basic idea of why celibacy is promoted. Doesn't matter if it's in Christianity, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, etc. The reasoning is much the same in all of them, that sex is a big distraction and ultimately a base, animalistic thing.
Well, IMO, dualism is a huge part of the problem with most monotheistic faiths. This right/wrong or good/bad is just so wrong. There is no good without bad nor right without wrong nor black without white. They are both needed to be a part of a whole. The Christian faith sets rules in opposition of each other and sets up a tap dance that no one can dance to. This notion of sin makes no sense either. What makes sin? Mankind has made up rules that he considers sin and that has nothing to do with God. Sure, murder and stealing and such as moral quagmires but that does not mean God stated these things. Committing murder is a choice. Just as not committing one. Sex is a part of our being. We cannot deny it. This celibacy silliness is why the RCC has been rife with pedophiles, IMO. Why not just let priests marry? Who exactly is that going to hurt?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Whose to say it was his job? The man is, after all, mostly legend and myth. Very little is considered historically accurate.

Would it have made any fundamental difference to Christ's teaching if he'd been gay, straight, bi, sexually active, celibate or whatever?

If clear evidence emerged that Christ was in fact gay, would Christians suddenly abandon their path and faith?

JoStories

Would it have made any fundamental difference to Christ's teaching if he'd been gay, straight, bi, sexually active, celibate or whatever?

If clear evidence emerged that Christ was in fact gay, would Christians suddenly abandon their path and faith?
I believe that many would, yes, but if and only if the Bible still had admonitions about male to male sex. If the Bible favored gays, it would make no difference.

JoStories

True. I try to embellish often though, as we need a Jesus for the 21st century.
Why do we need this? If we say that Jesus is just another name for God, maybe that might be but for those who are atheist, they would have no need of this. Why can we not simply rely on ourselves to be better and stronger without the need for a deity? In my path, God is the ultimate goal but it is me who has to live and learn in each lifetime.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why do we need this? If we say that Jesus is just another name for God, maybe that might be but for those who are atheist, they would have no need of this. Why can we not simply rely on ourselves to be better and stronger without the need for a deity? In my path, God is the ultimate goal but it is me who has to live and learn in each lifetime.

I mean we need role models to follow, not a god to worship.