• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

pdoel

Yes. I believe God created all creatures. He may speak in the Bible about homosexuality, but He's also responsible for His creations.

When someone dies tragically, you always hear, "We don't understand why, but we just have to believe this is part of God's plan".

I don't know why I am gay, but my faith tells me that I'm the person God has chosen me to be.

MrMorden

being gay is no different that having extra-marital sex. they are both sexual perversions no worse or better than the other. if you accept it fine, if not fine, but whatever you choose to accept, remember that.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Maize said:
There is no perversion in simply being gay. The only perversion I see is when others try to force someone to be something or someone they are not. That is true perversion.
Well said! Frubals to you.

MrMorden

you misunderstand my definition of perversion. i use the word to mean anything sexual done outside the sanctity of marriage. despite public opinion, marriage is and rightly should be between one man and one woman. and sexual acts should only take place within a marriage, however, very few will actually practice this philoshophy. but there is a logical reason for this, and i dont see a need to explain it to intelligent people. i agree to let gays live the way they want, i dont like them any more or less as a person for it, but you have to admit that being gay isnt what we were naturally designed to do. procreation of the species cant work if everyone is homosexual in a bisexual race. its simple scientific logic. screw the political or Pr aspect of it, its simple science. likewise, little good can come from extramarital sex. as is evident in the line to the welfare office. and last, but not least, dont mistake true marraige from the simple ceremony that people go through. marriage is simply a lifelong commitment made by the parties involved. one need not go before a priest/judge, etc to accomplish this task. it makes some sense because what logic is there in having a child with someone without making the commitment? or, if practicing safe sex, why even risk it? for a few moments of pleasure? illogical and immoral if you ask me. but still, that doesnt mean im necessarily going to practice what i preach, but its simply something i believe. and i see no irrationality in the belief

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
MrMorden said:
you misunderstand my definition of perversion. i use the word to mean anything sexual done outside the sanctity of marriage.
"Sanctity of marriage" my Aunt Fanny!:biglaugh:

pdoel

MrMorden said:
then what is your logical explanation of why people are gay
I don't think there is one. I don't think it's always our job to question God's plan. We may have doubts, but faith is supposed to pull us through.

What is the logical explanation of why 9/11 happened?

What is the logical explanation of why the Tsunami happened?

What is the logical explanation of why babies are born with severe defects?

What is the logical explanation of why children are molested?

robtex

Veteran Member
I have a friend who is gay and about 2 years ago I went on a 18 month project to help him except his gayness and his Christanity. The reason this happened is one day he came up to me and gave me a speech/confession that he was gay and a Christian and it bothered him that many could not accept him as both. He was out of the closet and very feminent and actually a very confident person with the exception of balancing his gayness and his homosexuality. So I went to a few friends (long before I joined this site) at my other job and on the net and started to gather resources to send him. I discovered two things from my (mostly my friends) findings:

1) most of the christian gay bashing seem really new--1900's plus.

I don't know enough if it is true or not but I get the sneaking suspicion that Christian were not out persecuting gay people until the last century sometime. Gay marriages have never been recognized by the church as far as I have seen but they didn't pick on them like so many of them do today.

2) While my friends and I helped Frank feel better about himself outside of his religion he had a very healthy self image.

As a matter of fact the only homosexuals I knew who didn't have a strong heatlhy self image were ones who either (a) were trying to be Christians, or (b) had christian parents whom bullied their children over their homosexuality.

The non-christian homosexuals, most whom were agnostics, had a much stronger self image. I work in a dept store with this guy part time and a large percentage of any clothing store has gay men in it from my experience.

I have never asked my friend why he believes in this religion and decided from day one I would not try to persuade him not to be a Christian but to me its like a small kid going out to the playground over and over again to get a bloody nose from the bigger kids when he can play on other parts of the school ground. It makes no sense to me. There are no Christian homosexuals on this board that I have seen but man I gotta tell you I would love for a Christian homosexual to explain to me why they try so hard to stick with a religion where such a large population is antagnostic to their existance as a homosexual.

robtex

Veteran Member
Mr Mordon I noticed you didn't vote no on the question. May I ask you if a gay can be a good Christian..why or why not?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Years ago, a friend of mine blew his brains out because he couldn't reconcile his gayness with his devout Catholic beliefs. I think that is so sad.

robtex

Veteran Member
retrorich said:
Years ago, a friend of mine blew his brains out because he couldn't reconcile his gayness with his devout Catholic beliefs. I think that is so sad.
i have known gay christians that have committed suicide too....i wonder how common of a reason that is for homosexuals committing suicide.

MrMorden

thats because most christians are dumb. that being said, i am a christian! im not bashing gay people, please dont misunderstand me. i have a friend that is a lesbian, and an aunt that is as well. im able to hold intelligent and rewarding conversations with both without feeling any malice toward them whatsoever. bottom line is that i dont care what someone does or how they live. i am no better or worse than any gay person. i have no logical explanation for some of the things i do. the difference lies the fact the being gay is such a big part of a person's life that its hard to be comfortable with it and be a christian at the same time. but trust me, thats only the fault of dumb christians and irrational churches. with that being said, it would make sense to me that a person would feel uncomfortable being in a situation that didn't agree with his lifestyle. that doesn't make the situation or the person wrong. its simply human nature to be discriminant. its takes perserverance to overcome, but its not to be mistaken with simply stating that a said thing is wrong or illogical.

i have no bias against gays, i simply dont think their lifestyle is a logical or moral one. likewise, my lifestyle isnt logical or moral. we're all the same, just in different ways.

MrMorden

Mr Mordon I noticed you didn't vote no on the question. May I ask you if a gay can be a good Christian..why or why not?
of course they can. i thought i explained that they are no better or worse than anyone else. im not being diplomatic here, i honestly believe this. the problem is that pointing out a gay person as being gay hits too close to home because its such an overwhelming part of their lifestyle. a gay person can get to heaven just as a straight one can.

pdoel

MrMorden said:
the problem is that pointing out a gay person as being gay hits too close to home because its such an overwhelming part of their lifestyle.
I disagree. I'm gay. It's not my entire life. It really only dictates the people I'm attracted to, and who I would date.

There's a lot more to me. I'm also a Christian, a son, a brother, a cousin, a nephew, an uncle. I have a job, responsibilities, a home, friends, etc. I have hobbies, I like to work out, lift, run, read, I'm into cars, movies, etc.

Being gay, is hardly an overwhelming part of my life.