• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can A Disrespectful Person Be A Moral Leader?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can a person who is disrespectful of others be a moral leader? Or is a lack of respect for others something that disqualifies someone from being a moral leader?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As I understand, being disrespectful of others is not something that will win you many friends unless it is done within the confines of a "clique" or group of likeminded individuals.

Being disrespectful and not cow-towing to the sensitivities of others is going to drive people away from you because you tell them things they do not want to hear. People want to be reassured that their "way" is the "right way" and so one would be advised to couch their thoughts within those terms.

Now... just what does this have to do with morality?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
standing_alone said:
I suppose it depends on what kind of morals this person ascribes to.

What if they regard themselves as a humanist but cannot bring themselves to respect other humans?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think we need to define the question a bit more. It's obvious Hitler was a moral leader....at least some saw him that way. And I'm sure he was disrespectful more than once.

standing_alone

Sunstone said:
What if they regard themselves as a humanist but cannot bring themselves to respect other humans?

Hmmm... Tough one...

What degree of disrespect are you talking about in the OP? The degree of disrespect may make a difference.

While respect would be a desirable trait (almost necessary) in any humanist, I don't see why it is absolutely required to be respectful to one's fellow human beings in order to work toward advancing the welfare of one's fellow man. Again, I suppose it would depend on the nature of disrespect.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can someone who considers themselves a humanist but who has no respect for blacks, or homosexuals, or mentally slow people be considered a moral leader?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Can someone who considers themselves a humanist but who has no respect for blacks, or homosexuals, or mentally slow people be considered a moral leader?
Absolutely not. Not in my book of morals.

standing_alone

Sunstone said:

Again, it depends on the degree of disrespect. If they don't respect members of those groups, but still help advance their welfare, then perhaps they could be considered a humanist. If they only work to adavance the welfare of certain peoples and ignore the plights of others, then I wouldn't call them a humanist.

I think it may be important to define the degree of disrespect.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
I should add that in my book of morals this person could not be a leader. Now, to people who feel the same way as he does.....he'd probably be an awesome moral leader. Depends on how we define the slippery word moral.

standing_alone

Buttercup said:
Depends on how we define the slippery word moral.

We have yet to have "disrespect" defined, however.

One problem with morals are that they are subjective. There are as many sets of morals as there are people.

GoldenDragon

maybe,Martin Luther was anti-semetic and he tried to bestow better morals on the Catholic church.does that count as being disrespectful and a moral leader?

standing_alone

Sunstone said:
How would you define it, Standing Alone?

Well, I would see disrespect as being rude or not courteous, being inconsiderate, perhaps arrogance - as in looking down on others.

However, these things can also vary in degree, in my opinion. This is a poor example of what I'm trying to say, but maybe you'll get my point: Someone that is merely arrogant and talks down on others, but gives others some consideration, is less disrespectful than a person that does this as well as completely disregards and is inconsiderate to others. But even this definition is biased by my own ideas about morality.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Sunstone said:
Can a person who is disrespectful of others be a moral leader?
It's a requirement for the job, actually . . . so long as that disrespect manifests itself in a way that is acceptable in the group to which the leader belongs.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
doppelgänger said:
It's a requirement for the job, actually . . . so long as that disrespect doesn't manifest itself outside the context of the acceptable morality.
How is disrespect a job requirement?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Buttercup said:
How is disrespect a job requirement?
More importantly, why do people need moral leaders? Are people just too stupid to figure out morals for themselves? This is not rocket science.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
More importantly, why do people need moral leaders? Are people just too stupid to figure out morals for themselves? This is not rocket science.
I think the OP is a valid question in that people follow leaders.

Do you think the Buddha was a moral leader? How about Gandi? Jesus? Certainly they have lessons to teach people of a like mind. I think given the fact that these three leaders have millions of followers shows that some people DO need a moral leader.