• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can 500+ Eyewitnesses Be Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
That's what I've been saying, Ryan... I've seen street magicians do amazing things. Who's to say what they're doing isn't actually magic? I don't see how someone can reach through glass, get something out of a display, and pull their hand out without it being magic... but I'm sure there's a way, because if it was magic he'd be under a lot of study from scientists. :)

EDIT: Er... to clarify, WITHOUT breaking the glass... :biglaugh:

JerryL

The fact that the appearance of an event can be reproduced does not mean that the event was a hoax, nor that it was produced in the same manner as the recreation.

Contrary to popular opinion among Charismatics and Pentecostals, the full title of the 5th book of the Bible is The Acts of the Apostles --- not The Acts of the Holy Ghost.
Many people think that a pleasiosaur is a type of dinosaur, but it's actually a marine reptile.

BTW, I missed your answer: How many miricles were performed on the show with Bill Bixby without their ability to explain / reproduce them?

Kowalski

AV1611 said:
In view of the fact that 1 Corinthians 15 mentions over 500 eyewitnesses to Jesus' resurrection, is that enough to convict Him of same?
Sure, maybe they were all blind and some geezer told em he was Jesus...

Cheers

K

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Oh, and to continue the point, the correct variant should more correctly be termed 'folklore'.
LOL ... well ... just to let you know ... that passage was Deut. 32:8

You kill me, Deut! --- but I love ya!

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
AV1611 said:
Did you read my post? I saw it bend on TV when Bill Bixby did it too. It's just that prefacing that trick with meditation or concentration is a parlor trick to get it to look like it was a refocusing of energy that did it, when in actuality it was body heat creating a weak spot, along with moving it up and down to create a stress-point that eventually bends the spoon.

And please get off this I'm insulting others kick. If I did, they'd know it. (Besides, I wouldn't last too long on this site, would I?) So if you think I'm insulting people, take it up with administration. Please.

No no, this is holding the spoon, not rubbing to create heat. It was held gently, then it went like liquid then bent...

oh well...

Well You've insulted me.

The point of this forum is to learn about other religions and to have a good time with discussing it with others. Being civil is almost required in order to get along. Perhaps I was mistaken if you and I could discuss the issue person to person, but if you cant handle that, I can understand your trepidation.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
Ryan2065 said:
In this respect AV is right. This is just a parlor trick, and you can find this out easily. The point where the spoon bends is right where the person was holding it, it does not bend anywhere else. This is because that point is where the hands heated it up. If the spoon was to melt as you say it did, then there would be some dripping (melting means the spoon was liquid at that point so some of it would have dripped.) Also if you take a spoon, just hold onto it as long as you did without any "focusing" as you call it, it would bend just as easily.

But this brings up another idea for this topic. If 500 people saw a magician perform his act and thought he was using real magic, does this mean he was using real magic? =) Because I am sure there are more than 500 people who have witnessed the spoon bending trick first hand and thought it was real. Just something to think about...

i couldnt find the words to describe it. I dont mean melt. Its like when you heat up something so that its just flexible for a few seconds.

www.fork-you.com has some nice pics (not done by a phony. )

Kowalski

michel said:
Whilst others suffer from tunnel vision - they only see what they want to see.
All magic is illuson, sleight of hand decieves the eye. Look, most magic tricks are worked by confusing the subject, and distraction. It has been proved that humans are often very narrowly focused on something, so for the player, it's easy to distract them from what is really going on.

Take this simple card trick, you put down four cards, tell the subject to focus on one of them, concentrate on it and remember it, and ask them to leave the room, Replace the four cards with four new ones, ask them to recall if the card they memorised is the one missing. Of course it is, as they were focused soley on one card, they fail to realise they are all different. Mugs.

Cheers

ian

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
Of what? A barbershop quartet or what?
Is the an expression of ignorance or an attempt at humor? The KJV variant of Deuteronomy 32.8 is widely recognized as a harmonization - a Masoretic modification of earlier text driven by the desire to better harmonize (align) the text with doctine.

AV1611 said:
How could something not created yet choose the wrong anything?
That sentence is incoherent. Your KJV 9is based on the Masoretic text, a rather late (7th-10th century CE) textual variant.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JerryL said:
The fact that the appearance of an event can be reproduced does not mean that the event was a hoax, nor that it was produced in the same manner as the recreation.
It was the inability to reproduce the event ... not the ability. If the appearance of the event would have been reproduced, the reproducer would have been a million dollars richer.

Many people think that a pleasiosaur is a type of dinosaur, but it's actually a marine reptile.
Oh, now they're "people". They're not "scientists"? So when a scientist makes a goof, and publishes it, he's a "person", but when he's "right", he's a "scientist"?

Tell me: why did "many people" think that? Personal observation, or were they taught that by reputable scientists?

BTW, I missed your answer: How many miricles were performed on the show with Bill Bixby without their ability to explain / reproduce them?
None ... not a one ... and they never will, either; not in this dispensation. Had Paul been there, or Peter, or one of the Apostles; and it was, say, 70 AD, they may have just bankrupted NBC.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Is the an expression of ignorance or an attempt at humor? The KJV variant of Deuteronomy 32.8 is widely recognized as a harmonization - a Masoretic modification of earlier text driven by the desire to better harmonize (align) the text with doctine.

That sentence is incoherent. Your KJV 9is based on the Masoretic text, a rather late (7th-10th century CE) textual variant.
Read Post 224, Deut --- you're a riot! That's why I like you so much!

Kowalski

Ardhanariswar said:
No no, this is holding the spoon, not rubbing to create heat. It was held gently, then it went like liquid then bent...

oh well...

Nah, come on, you bent it when they had thier eyes closed. Everbody concentrate, close your eyes, and whoops, little bit of finger pressure, open your eyes, oh look, my spoon bent lol.

K

Ryan2065

kowalski said:
Nah, come on, you bent it when they had thier eyes closed. Everbody concentrate, close your eyes, and whoops, little bit of finger pressure, open your eyes, oh look, my spoon bent lol.
Did you actually read how they do it? What they do is they hold a spoon in their hands, usually between two fingers. Then when the spoon gets as hot as their fingers (because that is what happens) the metal at that temp. is hot enough to bend easily. Then they stare at the metal, and bend it with their hands. No mind bending is done, they actually phsically take it and bend it.

If you were to heat a metal spoon to around I'd say 87 degrees F you would be able to easily bend it. Why do you think no scientists are going around trying to figure out how people bend the spoon with their mind? Its because they already know how they do it. The hand heads the spoon (you do NOT need to rub a spoon to heat it, just hold it in your hand and it heats) and then after the spoon is heated, it bends easily. Sorry, there is no mind power here that makes you be able to bend the spoon. It is simply your hand heating the spoon.

Ryan2065

Ardhanariswar said:
I didnt bend it, My friend did. And it just happened. She held the top of the spoon and twirled it like plastic.
And how long did she hold it in her hand before she was able to bend it? That is the key, holding it in your hand... if you did this without holding it in your hand, then the spoon would not bed at all, no matter how hard you tried. Also, if you did this with just one finger on the spoon I do not think it would work as well (say one finger was lightly on it.) Granted I think it would still work, just the spoon wouldn't heat up as fast. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.