• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling Out All Atheists

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Love is a big deceiver. You see how many love stories end up in divorce. I will put my faith in reciprocity. Love the lovable, and take appropriate action for what is not lovable. In short - be practical.
i'm not referring to sexual love

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I see, but that "all pervading consciousness" is not God?
that all pervading consciousness is pure dharma, is pure consciousness(brahman nirguna); which you simply call love. a divine thing, the uncaused cause

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Then sounds like you're not an atheist. :shrug:
maybe this helps. as long as the universe is i am. the universe is in me and i in the universe. i appear in this form as a reflection of the universe for awhile and in another at some other space/time. forms aren't eternal but the information that creates the forms is eternal. so to believe in a god, an external and eternal thing, i would have to believe in an impermanent form. i don't.

everything is a form of information

RestlessSoul

maybe this helps. as long as the universe is i am. the universe is in me and i in the universe. i appear in this form as a reflection of the universe for awhile and in another at some other space/time. forms aren't eternal but the information that creates the forms is eternal. so to believe in a god, an external and eternal thing, i would have to believe in an impermanent form. i don't.

everything is a form of information

Bit of a stretch to call that atheism imo, but hey, whatever works for you…

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
As long as one doesn't really think to much about and just hold it as a general saying, it is good enough :) But it always gets thrown out there as if its some amazing saying by Jesus, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense once you think about it.

Well that's the problem with the bible, people think about it too much and turn it into whatever nutty religion they want.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
In my human life.

Not scientific religious.
Not scientific either.

Living. Family teach me love share be kind. Rational teaching.

Scientific theists. Men. Women. Liars. Self destructive personality expressive conscious not assessed just allowed. Reasoning. Organisation supported. Rich people.

Theory.

Design machines. Build machines control use machines. Status science.

Use machines against humans. Atmospheric machine experiments lots of different machines.

Theory maths formula says it's human data. They too are the same a human.

I asked them. Would you atmosphere machine experiment direct to your life and body a human,?

No I would get hurt. Direct human science answer to human before experiment applied by organisation.

Ignored human advice.

Reason I want to.

Is human compassion needed to be a correct human life? Ask the scientist and he or she would lie.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
is compassion, love necessary for humanism? is a healthy mind, a healthy spirit, necessary to a healthy body, a social status?

i'm an atheist. i believe and trust in the law of reciprocity and that love is a necessary, healthy, and curative thing
As I've said round here many times more than once, our morality is partly evolved and partly acquired / learnt.

Our evolved moral tendencies are dislike of the one who harms, like of fairness and reciprocity (as you mentioned), respect for authority, loyalty to the group, and a sense of self-worth through self denial. As well we've evolved with a conscience and with a capacity for empathy,

This has helped us to live together in groups and to work cooperatively ─ regardless of our views about religion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
is compassion, love necessary for humanism? is a healthy mind, a healthy spirit, necessary to a healthy body, a social status?

i'm an atheist. i believe and trust in the law of reciprocity and that love is a necessary, healthy, and curative thing

I would think humanism is mostly based on education and reason, not emotions.
Emotions are usually not the most reliable of motivations.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Humanism, per se, is the sharing of the concern for another's spiritual existence !

I think the `human` aspect is the most of all types of `ist` or `ism` feelings,

ever hear about `squirrelism` or `Butterflyism`, same thing really, and we have it.

We came from the `stuff`` of life, our `spirits` will know the `ism` when it appears.

No matter the repentant, Human or butterflies.

NuffStuff

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahhh...I know, I know.....the squirrel hunters out there, oh well, one can't win, can one ?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Hey Fool,

Real good thinking, they mostly are wrong, you really know don't you ??

A Vestigial Mote

That is not really a good commandment to follow :) What if someone like to inflict pain or sexual harass others? But don't really care or might even enjoy these things being done to them, then doing it to others would be perfectly fine according to this commandment? :)
This is exactly why I like better:

"Do not do to others what you would not want done to yourself."

It gets rid of all the possibility of someone literally liking something that most people do not, but acting on it anyway because "do unto others."

If that person, instead acted according to the above, then they would realize that if someone doesn't like something, they should not inflict it upon that person, for they would not like things that they do not like forced upon themselves. And in the off-chance case where someone hates when something like charity is given to them, and so they do not give charity to others because of the above twist on the "golden rule" - oh well... no one is getting hurt in that scenario.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I don't really understand the question but even though I'm an atheist I try and follow the 2nd greatest Christian commandment and that is to treat others how I would like to be treated.
:)
I like that one also

Sometimes it's not that easy.
True, but I solved that one for myself

Assuming this Commandment is True, then it must be true not only for me, but also for the other. So, when "not easy" I apply this Commandment as seen from the other and act accordingly

So, I assume the other acts in a way to me, as he wants me to act to him, consciously or subconsciously. This way the first Commandment works perfectly for me

I won't dissappoint him, if he is asking for it

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
This is exactly why I like better:

"Do not do to others what you would not want done to yourself."
:)

I added something to make the original work better for me:

Do (not do) unto others what you (do not) want others to do unto you

And

Assuming the Great Commandment is True, then it not only applies to me, but it also applies to the other, meaning "the other wants me to do to him, what he does to me (consciously or not)"

Hence,

Do unto others what others do unto you