• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling Out All Atheists

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
is compassion, love necessary for humanism? is a healthy mind, a healthy spirit, necessary to a healthy body, a social status?

i'm an atheist. i believe and trust in the law of reciprocity and that love is a necessary, healthy, and curative thing

We’ll encounter trouble with the subjectivity of “healthy,” but yes. We can make it objective by asserting that by “healthy” we mean altruism, empathy, and practices that promote a reasonable ensemble of life, happiness, and the caretaking of the world and society for those that come after us.

A Vestigial Mote

I added something to make the original work better for me:

Do (not do) unto others what you (do not) want others to do unto you
Yes, this works, and I like it.

Assuming the Great Commandment is True, then it not only applies to me, but it also applies to the other, meaning "the other wants me to do to him, what he does to me (consciously or not)"

Hence,

Do unto others what others do unto you
I use this in arguments to defend killing in self-defense when another is attempting to kill you, when arguing with people who take the position that "killing is always wrong." I point out to them that when a person attempts to kill me, they are, indeed, making a statement that, in the relationship between themselves and myself, they believe that killing is okay. For if they didn't believe that, then they wouldn't be trying to kill me. Therefore, in the relationship between that person and myself, killing has been deemed acceptable. Kind of like how in the relationship between my wife and myself, kissing is acceptable, but not between myself and another person who I do not have such a relationship with. This line of reasoning stymies them every single time. Even those who claim that "killing is always wrong", trying to take that "high ground" cannot come back with anything to rebut such an argument. Or, at least, I have never had someone do so.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I point out to them that when a person attempts to kill me, they are, indeed, making a statement that, in the relationship between themselves and myself, they believe that killing is okay.
That is indeed what I meant. I like your example and how clearly you phrased it

For if they didn't believe that, then they wouldn't be trying to kill me. Therefore, in the relationship between that person and myself, killing has been deemed acceptable
It's always good to be 1 step ahead, and I have no problem if the other "returns the favor" instead of "accepting it"

Even those who claim that "killing is always wrong", trying to take that "high ground" cannot come back with anything to rebut such an argument. Or, at least, I have never had someone do so.
The smarter ones did not even try it I guess

Even Jesus His allegedly saying "turn the other cheek" can not be true, as it would provoke (more) violence (hit once again)