• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California burger flippers are soon to be making 20 bucks an hour under minimum wage law.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
What a load of whooey!

All hail the mighty business owners! Let's all bow and scrape our forheads in the dirt before the majesty of their glorious greed and selfishness!

o_O Good Lord!
No forum rule proscribes the contribution of substance to the discussions.

Unfettered

So... when talking about where the minimum wage ought to be:

- if you think it should go up, you need direct lived experience as a business owner.

- if you think it should stay the same or go down, all you need is a pulse.

Hilarious.
Those are your ideas and your words, not mine. Laugh at them if you want, though.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Does your son pay his employees more than his business can financially sustain?
Of course not, but what you've done is to take what I did post to the point of absurdity. When you put words and ideas into someone else's mind and mouth, it's pretty much impossible to have a serious discussion.

Unfettered

Of course not
Then his generosity is checked by reality, as I suspected it was. Not sure why it took so long for this to come out on your side. It's no strike against his goodness.
When you put words and ideas into someone else's mind and mouth, it's pretty much impossible to have a serious discussion.
I agree. That hasn't happened here. But the converse is also true: when true words don't come out of someone's mouth, it is also impossible to have a serious discussion.

But we are at a point now where all the truth is on the table where we can see it, so we can finally have a serious discussion about the effect of minimum wage increases. Layoffs, hours contraction, business closures and price hikes are taking place in CA. There are many news stories available; you can read or watch them if you like. Or I can provide links.

Wirey

Fartist
Then his generosity is checked by reality, as I suspected it was. Not sure why it took so long for this to come out on your side. It's no strike against his goodness.
I agree. That hasn't happened here. But the converse is also true: when true words don't come out of someone's mouth, it is also impossible to have a serious discussion.

But we are at a point now where all the truth is on the table where we can see it, so we can finally have a serious discussion about the effect of minimum wage increases. Layoffs, hours contraction, business closures and price hikes are taking place in CA. There are many news stories available; you can read or watch them if you like. Or I can provide links.
That's just Darwin at work. If a small wage hike broke you, a small price hike or small tax hike would have sooner or later, too. Some people can run a business, some can't, and a few are genuinely unlucky.

Unfettered

That's just Darwin at work. If a small wage hike broke you, a small price hike or small tax hike would have sooner or later, too. Some people can run a business, some can't, and a few are genuinely unlucky.
Sure, some will raise their prices, adjust hours, etc., and stay in business. There might even be some who simply absorb the cost. We could come up with many scenarios. It does seem a stretch, though, to say that anyone who closes up was simply a bad businessman.

Wirey

Fartist
Sure, some will raise their prices, adjust hours, etc., and stay in business. There might even be some who simply absorb the cost. We could come up with many scenarios. It does seem a stretch, though, to say that anyone who closes up was simply a bad businessman.
Not all, but most. The number one cause of failure in a restaurant business is poor choice of location. People think if food is good, you can put it anywhere and succeed, but that is far from the case. As this seems to primarily be affecting dining establishments, I think I can say safely that the bulk of the failures will be among owners who had already made many bad choices, and required as much luck as skill to stay afloat.

Unfettered

Not all, but most. The number one cause of failure in a restaurant business is poor choice of location. People think if food is good, you can put it anywhere and succeed, but that is far from the case. As this seems to primarily be affecting dining establishments, I think I can say safely that the bulk of the failures will be among owners who had already made many bad choices, and required as much luck as skill to stay afloat.
Again, many scenarios are likely.

Unfettered

Yes, it has and you did it, so it's obvious that going any further with you is fruitless. You put words in my mouth and now you come back with the above excuse.

Nope.
I don't agree with the charge, but you're free to withdraw.