• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By not having a proof of God's existence should churches NOT have tax exempt status

dfnj

I think churches should pay taxes. They have become too political and are more like community social clubs. I think churches should lose their tax exempt status because as far as I can tell all religions are just lies. There's no proof for what the churches are selling is actually real. So my argument is if people making a living off religion are not capable of proving the existence of God, then religious organizations should not be tax exempt.

Last edited:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I see no good reason for giving churches tax exemption. They do a certain amount of charity certainly, but that's only part of what they do, and I'd support their exemption being limited to that. I also think that an argument could be made under the establishment clause of the Constitution that they should not be a special case.

Incidentally, it's supposed to be withdrawn if they engage in political activity. I don't see that being enforced much, if at all.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Some would say the same about schools.

Doctors.

Psychologists.

Let's just get rid of them all.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Many if not most are "selling" -- in part -- community, a sense of placedness, and pastoral care, all of which are very real.
Also, the UU fellowship I used to attend has "sold" things like weekly meditation groups for self-care and wellness, volunteers to help build low-cost housing, many hands to remove invasive species from our natural areas, safe spaces for members of the LGBTQ+ community where it's never questioned if they have equal rights, science groups that do science advocacy and science demos at local schools, and a special lending library full of books on a wide variety of religious and non-religious topics.

This is all terrible and we must get rid of it, apparently.

Oh, and to add? Around half the fellowship is atheist. But sure, religion and churches are BAD and LIES.

Lol.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I think churches should pay taxes. They have become too political and are more like community social clubs. I think churches should lose their tax exempt status because as far as I can tell all religions are just lies. There's no proof for what the churches are selling is actually real. So my argument is if people making a living off religion are not capable of proving the existence of God, then religious organizations should not be tax exempt. First there is no such thing as proof in this case and the basis for belief in churches and religions.
Cirst, there is no proof for the spiritual and subjective basis for any church or religion. This should not be a basis for the tax exempt status of religious institutions.

I think churches should pay taxes for other reasons. Churches and religions develop mega corporations with profits far beyond needed to serve the faithful to avoid taxes. They become land baron institutions on the level of Christian Rome and the Middle Ages.

Madsaac

I imagine they don't pay taxes because they are supposed to be charitable organisations, and that's perfectly fine.

However, once they start making profits and these profits aren't pumped directly back into the community then they should pay taxes or if they attempt to have any political sway, then pay taxes.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
One of my favorite Carlin quotes.

download (1).jpeg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think church influence in government is minuscule compared to what it would be if churches became taxable. They will become a source of revenue for the government, hence they will become favored by various governments. Eventually you will open the door to church control in government of various things. Maybe it will, like in the UK, ask for special laws for people in a particular religion; and then in all religions. That is no different from government through church is it? Taxes will act as an argument to allow this, and they will sweeten the deal for the government which will fall to such corrupt influences.

Separation goes both ways.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think churches should pay taxes. They have become too political and are more like community social clubs. I think churches should lose their tax exempt status because as far as I can tell all religions are just lies. There's no proof for what the churches are selling is actually real. So my argument is if people making a living off religion are not capable of proving the existence of God, then religious organizations should not be tax exempt.
Churches are considered charities

Churches, unlike other charities and religious organizations, are automatically considered tax-exempt if they meet the requirements of IRC Section 501(c)(3), which includes the following:

• Must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific, or other charitable purposes;
  • Net earnings are not for the benefit of any private individual or shareholder;
  • No substantial part of its activity may attempt to influence legislation;
  • The organization may not intervene in political campaigns; and
  • The organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.

In exchange for their tax-exempt status, churches are supposed to refrain from engaging in political activities per the Johnson Amendment (1954). Unfortunately, not all do. And, even when they are caught breaking the rules, few are ever punished by having their tax-exempt status revoked.

In 2017, an executive order signed by President Trump instructed the IRS not to take adverse action against churches or religious organizations for political speech. This order on religious freedom was supposed to be the first step in repealing the Johnson Amendment but to this day the law remains intact.
Why Are Churches Tax-Exempt in The United States?

Seems churches have a vested interest in Trump.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Schools, doctors and psychologists, do any of these even have tax exempt status?
Schools generally do.

Organizations organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, educational, or other specified purposes and that meet certain other requirements are tax exempt under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3).
Medical institutions, on the other hand, generally receive federal funding.

As far as I know, there is no clause that includes the need for proof of any deities for any of these organizations.

Tomef

Good point. They have provided some social cohesion in the past, but that’s much less the case in recent years. In Western Europe anyway. They get used to promote government agendas, ‘holy’ wars and such, so perhaps that’s why governments like churches.

dfnj

I'm sorry, I am having difficulty even taking the opening post seriously. Someone has a very myopic and warped understanding of what religion is and what tax exempt status is.

What is my warp? Religion exists to answer 4 great existential questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

Since most people are uncomfortable with not having rock solid answers to these 4 existential questions, they make up stories in order to make themselves feel better. We call these stories religion. How am I doing so far? It doesn't seem warped or that far off to me.

dfnj

I think no one should pay taxes. The money goes to people who don't use it in a right way, and it is also slavery, if person must pay taxes.

We must have taxes because of Artificial Intelligence and Robotic automation. Artificial Intelligence and Robotic Automation are making workers obsolete. Consumers are the new working class. It takes hard work to buy products and services. If we want the economy to move at a fast enough velocity so everyone's needs get met, people will have to be paid to do the hard work of consuming. With just-in-time manufacturing and delivery, 100 year old maxims about the economy overheating have no meaning. Factories can scale up and scale down to meet any level of demand. And the cost of paying consumers comes right back to the billionaires in the form of sales revenue. Just like money is created for new mortgage creation, money is created to ensure economic velocity. The national debt is maintained at a constant percentage of GDP through the taxation of accumulated capital. The rich get richer, and the working class have enough money to make ends meet plus pay for healthcare. Everyone wins!!

dfnj

I think no one should pay taxes. The money goes to people who don't use it in a right way, and it is also slavery, if person must pay taxes.

We must have taxes because of Artificial Intelligence and Robotic automation. Artificial Intelligence and Robotic Automation are making workers obsolete. Consumers are the new working class. It takes hard work to buy products and services. If we want the economy to move at a fast enough velocity so everyone's needs get met, people will have to be paid to do the hard work of consuming. With just-in-time manufacturing and delivery, 100 year old maxims about the economy overheating have no meaning. Factories can scale up and scale down to meet any level of demand. And the cost of paying consumers comes right back to the billionaires in the form of sales revenue. Just like money is created for new mortgage creation, money is created to ensure economic velocity. The national debt is maintained at a constant percentage of GDP through the taxation of accumulated capital. The rich get richer, and the working class have enough money to make ends meet plus pay for healthcare. Everyone wins!!