• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Busting gun-culture myths that always surface after mass shootings; let’s get real

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You may not be blaming it, but society and media in general is overflowing with examples of blaming mental illness.
I don't argue for that view.
You'll have to find someone who does.

BTW, this is just as I don't expect you to
argue that all guns must be banned, eg,
ancient matchlocks, wheellocks, flintlocks.
There are loopy people making that stupid
argument too.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes. It is entirely unacceptable that anywhere allows people to own guns and publicly carry them without training. That puts far too many people needlessly at risk because accidental gun deaths are already too high as it is.

Angry people like guns and are the least qualified to have them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I started that point by referencing how the article in the OP is pointing that out.
argument too.
I didn't know matchlocks were still around, and I figured wheelocks were confined more to engineering education and projects.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I started that point by referencing how the article in the OP is pointing that out.

I didn't know matchlocks were still around, and I figured wheelocks were confined more to engineering education and projects.
Many guns are antiques & curios. I once had a
license to deal in those. Some on RF argue that
those should be treated like high capacity semi
autos, either by regulation or by banning.
I find that view to be a total rejection of reality.

esmith

Veteran Member
Oh. I want to add, that it is not the object, but the gun culture available in the US.

It is the ease of access both legally, financially and lack of qualifications to own a gun in the US.

It is the not gun that is the issue.
What do you see as qualification to own a firearm?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many guns are antiques & curios. I once had a
license to deal in those. Some on RF argue that
those should be treated like high capacity semi
autos, either by regulation or by banning.
I find that view to be a total rejection of reality.
I would wager if killing and maiming as many people as possible is the goal then a baseball would probably be better than those antiques. If someone wants to bring one to a planned mass shooting then that would probably be best for everyone due to the high difficulty in getting a second shot off before the shooter is attacked.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would wager if killing and maiming as many people as possible is the goal then a baseball would probably be better than those antiques. If someone wants to bring one to a planned mass shooting then that would probably be best for everyone due to the high difficulty in getting a second shot off before the shooter is attacked.
The rifles I used to compete with would
be deadlier used as bludgeons.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The rifles I used to compete with would
be deadlier used as bludgeons.
I've heard they're not known for their accuracy. My dad's brother hunts with a flintlock, so I suppose they're good enough, but he's the only person I've known to use one. The rest is just what I've read about those fossils.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've heard they're not known for their accuracy. My dad's brother hunts with a flintlock, so I suppose they're good enough, but he's the only person I've known to use one. The rest is just what I've read about those fossils.
Sounds like a person who appreciated history and the spirit of frontiersmen.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

argument too.
Our idiot unelected NY governor now wants expanded licensure applicable to long guns that are deemed as semiautomatic.

I wonder how they are going to minupulate that definition to all longarms, and eventually the main goal of these authoritarians are to ban guns altogether for civilians leaving only the authoritarians possessing arms.

The only thing I agree with the proposal is simply raising age requirements to 21 and reducing ammo capacity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Flintlocks suffer most from the delay between
pulling the trigger, & the bullet leaving the barrel.
In that time, things move.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Our idiot unelected NY governor now wants expanded licensure applicable to long guns that are deemed as semiautomatic.

I wonder how they are going to minupulate that definition to all longarms, and eventually the main goal of these authoritarians are to ban guns altogether for civilians leaving only the authoritarians possessing arms.

The only thing I agree with the proposal is simply raising age requirements to 21 and reducing ammo capacity.
We'll be facing increased regulation...it's inexorable.
The question is what kind of regulation will be both
useful & constitutional. Licensing could be that,
but only in concert with other policies, eg, secure
storage, comprehensive red flag restrictions.

Truth in love

Just another 2 bit hack dismissing any and all evidence that does not fit their vision of a utopian future where only the gov and bad guys are armed and the average person has to cower in fear.