• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Businesses struggling to find workers

Alceste

Vagabond
Alas, I wish lenders for commercial properties were allowed the same flexibility by government. Any principal reduction is considered ordinary income,
so both the state & the Fed would take over 40% of it as income tax. Since our predicament is caused of lack of money, there would be no money to
pay the taxes, so restructuring is dang near impossible. Moreover, if the banks take the property, I'd urge them to continue pursuing payment, otherwise
they'd have to 1099 us for the written off debt. Tis as though Obama & Congress actually want a commercial real estate collapse.

Are you saying Obama's administration made up this rule about tax on principal reduction?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Are you saying Obama's administration made up this rule about tax on principal reduction?
Yeah, they are politically naive enough to believe that MORE bad news about the economy will help them big-time in the November elections.[/sarcasm]

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My problem with finding work has been that simply that I do not qualify for many positions due to a lack of experience, a lack of schooling/training, or a lack of degrees and/or certifications. As for my unemployment goes I am making enough off of it to live comfortably. Most of the jobs that I do qualify however will have me going from living comfortably to having to struggle to pay bills. It doesn't mean I'm not looking, it just means that until it gets closer to expiring taking a job that pays less than 8.50/h is shooting myself in the foot. I even did try one of my former employers that does start out at 8.50/h, but I was told that because I wouldn't have anytime availability because I am going to school, that I am not eligible for rehire.

I was being sarcastic. $13/hour is not a livable wage in many cities.
That is considered very good money around here. It's far from 20/h+ that many Chrysler and Delphi workers make, but you can live very comfortably here for about 11/h. I made 11.75/h at my last job, and am pulling in just under $300 a week (not much less than I would make with a 40 hour week) unemployment because I put in so many 50-60 hours a week. I would like to work, but I am in a situation of not qualifying for most decent paying jobs, taking a job that does not provide livable wages, or remaining on unemployment.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I didn't. Bush also reigned while such policy was in effect. I faulted Bush &
Congress then. I fault Obama & the current Congress now that they're in charge.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, they are politically naive enough to believe that MORE bad news about the economy will help them big-time in the November elections.[/sarcasm]

Your point escapes me, but if it's about my being the bearer of bad economic news, tis not for political purpose.
I have no influence whatsoever, & I calls'm as I sees'm. And what I see is bi-partisan bad management.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Shadow Wolf, I'm confused about something. Did you say that you are going to school and since you are going to school you do not have many hours during the week that you CAN work?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My problem with finding work has been that simply that I do not qualify for many positions due to a lack of experience, a lack of schooling/training, or a lack of degrees and/or certifications.

Advice...from an employer's perspective:
- Before applying, learn about the company its products.
- Form opinions about who they are & what they do, both good & bad. Think of improvements.
- Show them during the interview that you're positive, interested & already are familiar with them.
- Convince them you can be trusted to work in their best interest.
- Show them how you can make them money.

I'd rather hire & train an inexperienced rising star than hire & cope with an experienced drone.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Advice...from an employer's perspective:
- Before applying, learn about the company its products.
- Form opinions about who they are & what they do, both good & bad. Think of improvements.
- Show them during the interview that you're positive, interested & already are familiar with them.
- Convince them you can be trusted to work in their best interest.
- Show them how you can make them money.

I'd rather hire & train an inexperienced rising star than hire & cope with an experienced drone.

If I need to, can I work for you? I'll even be your butler. :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Shadow Wolf, I'm confused about something. Did you say that you are going to school and since you are going to school you do not have many hours during the week that you CAN work?
Yes, I am going to school, two classes on Thursday and two on friday (which were scheduled around my last job), and since I won't have anytime availability since I'll be at school late morning to the early evening on Thursday and early afternoon to late evening on Friday, I was told "absolutely not" by one of the head office ladys (putting it very nice) at a previous job. My old supervisor there is trying to fight for me to get my old position back, but he didn't understand that I can't be a supervisor anymore because it will cut too deeply into study time (easily an extra 20-30+ hours a week).

My problem is that I do not have very strong social skills, and I am not very witty or a "quick" thinker. I chocked during one interview when I was asked "what car part would be and why?" I have a very solid resume with supervisor experience, winning several suggestive selling contests and awards, meeting demanding quotas, experience watching for drive offs and shoplifters, and being able to trained and perform many different aspects of any given job I have had. But really any jobs that I can get are fast food/restaurant, retail, gas stations, and so on. And it's hard to study up on places when you are filling out applications wherever you qualify at.

Kathryn

Yes, I am going to school, two classes on Thursday and two on friday (which were scheduled around my last job), and since I won't have anytime availability since I'll be at school late morning to the early evening on Thursday and early afternoon to late evening on Friday, I was told "absolutely not" by one of the head office ladys (putting it very nice) at a previous job. My old supervisor there is trying to fight for me to get my old position back, but he didn't understand that I can't be a supervisor anymore because it will cut too deeply into study time (easily an extra 20-30+ hours a week).

My problem is that I do not have very strong social skills, and I am not very witty or a "quick" thinker. I chocked during one interview when I was asked "what car part would be and why?" I have a very solid resume with supervisor experience, winning several suggestive selling contests and awards, meeting demanding quotas, experience watching for drive offs and shoplifters, and being able to trained and perform many different aspects of any given job I have had. But really any jobs that I can get are fast food/restaurant, retail, gas stations, and so on. And it's hard to study up on places when you are filling out applications wherever you qualify at.

SW, I commend you for going to school and I wish you success.

That being said, I think that your choice to go back to school during the day (apparently all day Thursday and Friday) as well as the hours you need to study (20-30 hours a week) would be an impediment to finding ANY full time job.

We all have to prioritize, and apparently your top priority right now is school. That's great. But most people I know with school schedules like that know when they sign up for day classes that they are pretty much relegating themselves to either part time clerical work, or retail/fast food/convenience store type jobs.

I would say that realistically these are your job choices while you voluntarily choose to put your school schedule first.

When I got divorced at age 31, I had not finished college. However, I had to work full time in order to provide for my kids. It would have been unrealistic for me to think I could go to school full time AND work full time in a job that paid what I needed in order to survive. I had to make some tough choices, even though it would have really been nice to go to school during the day and have plenty of time to study during the week. That just wasn't a realistic option for me.

It wasn't realistic of me to think that employers who were offering full time positions Monday - Friday 8-5 would accommodate my school needs over the needs of their business.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My problem is that I do not have very strong social skills, and I am not very witty or a "quick" thinker. I chocked during one interview when I was asked "what car part would be and why?"

The shortcomings you describe might not be shortcomings. Quickness is trumped by quality thinking at a leisurely pace.
"Social skills"? Not my strong area either, but one can work around one's personal peccadillos & improve. I venture a
guess that you're not as sure of yourself as you should be. Experience should cure that, youngster.

I have a very solid resume with supervisor experience, winning several suggestive selling contests and awards, meeting demanding quotas, experience watching for drive offs and shoplifters, and being able to trained and perform many different aspects of any given job I have had. But really any jobs that I can get are fast food/restaurant, retail, gas stations, and so on. And it's hard to study up on places when you are filling out applications wherever you qualify at.
To make the decision to be innovative, methodical & committed to finding the job you want is key.
Certainly, I don't know you, but perhaps something I've said can be of use.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It wasn't realistic of me to think that employers who were offering full time positions Monday - Friday 8-5 would accommodate my school needs over the needs of their business.
As I mentioned, I scheduled this semester around my old work schedule, which was a night shift Sunday - Thursday. My old job was retail inventory, and didn't have a set schedule. Working as a regular auditor for them is actually one of the best school jobs you could ask for, since most inventories only last a few hours so your not at work all day, and in the past the scheduling was very flexible and you didn't have to put your life on hold. The company itself is horrible in terms of pay, benefits, and employee treatment, but the scheduling is/was so school friendly it made it worth it if you have a study-intensive course load.

I venture a
guess that you're not as sure of yourself as you should be. Experience should cure that, youngster.

I'm very sure of myself, it's just I have relied on using a good work ethic and doing a good job to make up for my lack of social skills. I may not be able to start a conversation, but I can organize and clean a gas stations cooler that is very unorganized and still have plenty of time to get the regular shift cleaning done.

Kathryn

OK, sorry - I didn't see the earlier details about your previous work schedule. I guess I don't understand why you're not back to work at that job - not that you owe me an explanation. Apparently I'm confused!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
OK, sorry - I didn't see the earlier details about your previous work schedule. I guess I don't understand why you're not back to work at that job - not that you owe me an explanation. Apparently I'm confused!
The only explanation I have is that I went through there online application, as I was told I would have to do as a part of rehiring, and I got an email saying I'm not eligible. My mom works for this company, and she found out that it was because I won't have anytime availability. It makes absolutely no since as to why such a job would have such a restriction against going to school, but it's not the first bad decision that company has made that doesn't make the slightest bit of since.