• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burial, or cremation?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The thread about "Israel plans to build 'museum of tolerance' on Muslim graves" prompted this. How do you feel about what should happen to your body when you die ?

Personally, I see it in as "I don't want to litter the world with my remains", but I realise that certain Religions may dictate burial - I am sorry, I don't know how many.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Donate all my useful organs if I die when they can still be useful, then maybe find some other use for the rest. Fertiliser, maybe?

Popeyesays

michel said:
The thread about "Israel plans to build 'museum of tolerance' on Muslim graves" prompted this. How do you feel about what should happen to your body when you die ?

Personally, I see it in as "I don't want to litter the world with my remains", but I realise that certain Religions may dictate burial - I am sorry, I don't know how many.
Baha`i law does not recommend cremation and requires burial within 48 hours if at all possible. Organ donation is allowed.

Regards,
Scott

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We have a memorial forest where you can buy and plant a tree. and put the ashes under it. The money mostly goes to a hospice charity.
This is Audrey's Oak tree At the edge of the lake. My house is over the hill to the left of the tree. I had hung some Kentish hops on it that week. we grow them in our garden.
audhoptreecopy.jpg

Terry________________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

I

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Cremate me! Throw me somewhere you think i'd like to go. maybe drop parts of me off in certian places... I just ask that i'm not dumped, or trapped underground forced to decay slowly.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Terrywoodenpic said:
We have a memorial forest where you can buy and plant a tree. and put the ashes under it. The money mostly goes to a hospice charity.
This is Audrey's Oak tree At the edge of the lake. My house is over the hill to the left of the tree. I had hung some Kentish hops on it that week. we grow them in our garden.
audhoptreecopy.jpg

I
Terry, fabulous idea! That's what I would like done to me!

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Cremation for me, and I decided I wanted my ashes thrown into the Sea, on a stormy night.
My mother refused my wishes and added knowing me a gust of wind would blow me back in her face.... maybe as we dont get along :D.​
But these are my wishes, if not the Sea, the woods to be at one with nature.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Of the two choices, I would like cremation. (My mom and sister were discussing what mom's wishes were for after her death. and mom, who also wishes to be cremated, has already picked out what she hopes will be her final resting place, but my sister feels very uncomfortable with it being a biscotti jar. Also, which daughter would 'recieve' the ashes was discussed, and apparently my sister brought up that "Well, Meg's always been kind of a packrat."

Personally, I'm kind of interested in an 'air burial'. I would like any useful bits to go to others, and would like to have the remainder thrown to the birds. (And any animals wandering by.)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't want cremation cause I plan on coming back pretty soon. Want to be in tact and all....:D
Probably cremation for me. Terry that is a neat idea..

Mike182

Flaming Queer
michel said:

its funny you view it that way

i would rather be buried, and let my body rot down into the ground to supply nutrients for this world to carry on living.

i would also like my organs to be given to someone who they will help, so someone else my enjoy life that little bit longer

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Im gonna be have all my good bits scooped out for science, then be buried so my rotting flesh feeds the earth which created me. Beautiful eh?

Peace x

Draka

Wonder Woman
Behind my driver's license in my purse wallet are two things...my organ donor card, and a peice of paper that says this:

In the event of my death:
When I die:
Do not bury me,
cremate me
Do not keep me,
scatter me
Do not mourn me,
celebrate me

I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California. Send me on my way with a celebration. Light a bonfire on the beach to light my way. Remember me with smiles, laughs and, yes, tears, but do not mourn me. For I am not gone, but released to be more.

These are my wishes, respect them please.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:

I
Both my parents were cremated, and had trees planted for them. I agree, it is a nice legacy.

Mike182 said:
its funny you view it that way

i would rather be buried, and let my body rot down into the ground to supply nutrients for this world to carry on living.

i would also like my organs to be given to someone who they will help, so someone else my enjoy life that little bit longer
That's a nice way of looking at it, I guess.

Of course I would donate any 'functioning' organs, but I'm not sure anyone would wants spares from me; I have two plastic implants in my eyes, and metal in my hip.

My heart O.K though!)(