• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffet religion or Jesus Christ

InChrist

Free4ever
I am so grateful for peace and freedom in Christ, rather than the legalism and bondage of religion.

“New believers, then and now, like to make their own religious system by approaching religion as a buffet: you pick and choose the things you want from many choices. For their religion, people may mix their favorite beliefs and ideologies. “I’d like a large helping of Eastern philosophy and a small order of Christianity, hold the guilt, a side of karma, and throw in some New Age spices.” That’s a sure way to invite in the extreme of legalism.

Legalism is the religion of human achievement. Like every single religious system other than Christianity, it is a works-based salvation that says, “I will earn my way to God.” It’s all about what I do, what I perform, and what I add to my belief. And it’s dangerous because anybody can do it. You can check all the boxes and conform to a regimen of external standards, and yet not have the reality of salvation on the inside, like the rich young ruler in Luke 18:18-23.

Only Christianity approaches God by His grace. Salvation is a free gift. You don’t work for it or add to it. All you do is receive it.”

Treks

I agree with some of what you've said. I'd counterpoint with the fact that many Christians (absolutely myself included) also buffet their Christianity. Have a whole lot of grace but hold the sin convictions, sprinkle in some basically-secular-at-this-point holidays and some catchy scripture verses, but fruit? what fruit?

Also, just like there are dedicated Christians who are diligent in their faith, there are adherents of other religions who are also diligent and trying to avoid buffet religion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's religious bigotry:
As Christianity spread across the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago, people brought in philosophies, religions, and ideologies from all over the world. These were amalgamated into what is called the Colossian heresy, a mixture of different religious systems, including Greek philosophy, Roman polytheism, Jewish legalism, as well as various cults of pagan gods and goddesses...

I have no interest in discussing such trash.

InChrist

Free4ever
It's religious bigotry:
As Christianity spread across the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago, people brought in philosophies, religions, and ideologies from all over the world. These were amalgamated into what is called the Colossian heresy, a mixture of different religious systems, including Greek philosophy, Roman polytheism, Jewish legalism, as well as various cults of pagan gods and goddesses...

I have no interest in discussing such trash.
So are you saying that the amalgamation of religious systems, philosophies, legalism, and various other ideas into Christianity is trash, which diminishes the superiority and sufficiency of Jesus Christ?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I initially wondered if this thread would be about the religious beliefs of Warren Buffet, of Berkshire Hathaway. :)

More seriously, treating religious beliefs like a buffet is what any person capable of independent thought must inevitably do. Any thinking person must decide, for himself, what he can accept, what he doubts, and what he rejects. Furthermore, in Christianity there is no gold standard of what should be believed. Almost everything in the bible requires a level of interpretation. Even the different translations introduce diferences in meaning. It is a ludicrous myth to imagine that the bible, on its own, can tell you unambiguously what to believe.

So, that being the case, people must inevitably pick and choose from the many interpretations and teachings around.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am so grateful for peace and freedom in Christ, rather than the legalism and bondage of religion.

“New believers, then and now, like to make their own religious system by approaching religion as a buffet: you pick and choose the things you want from many choices. For their religion, people may mix their favorite beliefs and ideologies. “I’d like a large helping of Eastern philosophy and a small order of Christianity, hold the guilt, a side of karma, and throw in some New Age spices.” That’s a sure way to invite in the extreme of legalism.

Legalism is the religion of human achievement. Like every single religious system other than Christianity, it is a works-based salvation that says, “I will earn my way to God.” It’s all about what I do, what I perform, and what I add to my belief. And it’s dangerous because anybody can do it. You can check all the boxes and conform to a regimen of external standards, and yet not have the reality of salvation on the inside, like the rich young ruler in Luke 18:18-23.

Only Christianity approaches God by His grace. Salvation is a free gift. You don’t work for it or add to it. All you do is receive it.”
This is sooo good and sooo true!

I can’t add or subtract to this statement!

Kenny

Premium Member
I agree with some of what you've said. I'd counterpoint with the fact that many Christians (absolutely myself included) also buffet their Christianity. Have a whole lot of grace but hold the sin convictions, sprinkle in some basically-secular-at-this-point holidays and some catchy scripture verses, but fruit? what fruit?

Also, just like there are dedicated Christians who are diligent in their faith, there are adherents of other religions who are also diligent and trying to avoid buffet religion.
I think anyone can take the message of Jesus and create a legalistic religion out of it.

metis

Not according to Jesus' Parable of the Sheep & Goats, which puts most responsibility on us. There are numerous other such references in the NT.

InChrist

Free4ever
Not according to Jesus' Parable of the Sheep & Goats, which puts most responsibility on us. There are numerous other such references in the NT.
I think you are confusing or missing the biblical reality that good works are the result or evidence of salvation… that one has already received as a free gift through God’s grace.
You don’t have to agree, but that’s what I believe the scriptures are saying.

“In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, we are looking at man redeemed and saved, and man condemned and lost. A casual reading seems to suggest that salvation is the result of good works. The “sheep” acted charitably, giving food, drink, and clothing to the needy. The “goats” showed no charity. This seems to result in salvation for the sheep and damnation for the goats.

However, Scripture does not contradict itself, and the Bible clearly and repeatedly teaches that salvation is by faith through the grace of God and not by our good works (see John 1:12; Acts 15:11; Romans 3:22-24; Romans 4:4-8; Romans 7:24-25; Romans 8:12; Galatians 3:6-9; and Ephesians 2:8-10). In fact, Jesus Himself makes it clear in the parable that the salvation of the “sheep” is not based on their works—their inheritance was theirs “since the creation of the world” (Matthew 25:34), long before they could ever do any good works!

The good works mentioned in the parable are not the cause of salvation but the effect of salvation.”

Tinkerpeach

You still have to work for it.

You can’t simply say a prayer then forget about it and believe you are walking with God.

I would even argue that Christianity is the hardest faith to uphold because there are no set rules to guide you outside of the very clearly stated ones in the Bible.

As a Christian you must build your relationship with Christ and over time you begin to know what is right or wrong.

Kenny

Premium Member

I find Romans Chapter 7 to be the epitome of what you just said.

Legalism was our first husband and then we died. In our resurrection we are married to grace - Jesus.

metis

I think you are confusing or missing the biblical reality that good works are the result or evidence of salvation… that one has already received as a free gift through God’s grace.

I 100% disagree because the only time we lose our choice is when we're brain dead. Paul refers to this when he told the flock to try and bring back those whom have left the fold, plus Jesus covers this in his Parable of the Sower & the Seed as there are varying degrees of faith, plus some can reject belief even after having it.

metis

Legalism was our first husband and then we died. In our resurrection we are married to grace - Jesus.

But I think that depends on how one defines "legalism". The Gospels have teachings, so are those "legalisms" that should be followed? Was Jesus' teachings to his flock "legalisms"?

Kenny

Premium Member
But I think that depends on how one defines "legalism". The Gospels have teachings, so are those "legalisms" that should be followed? Was Jesus' teachings to his flock "legalisms"?
Good point since “legalism” can be defined differently although both end up in the same consequences and my wording was very lacking

I should correct the way I said it and “thank you”.

Legal code is one way where one must be perfect and we find that no one is.
Legalism when we demand a series of “works” to be accepted.

Again, thank you.

InChrist

Free4ever
I 100% disagree because the only time we lose our choice is when we're brain dead. Paul refers to this when he told the flock to try and bring back those whom have left the fold, plus Jesus covers this in his Parable of the Sower & the Seed as there are varying degrees of faith, plus some can reject belief even after having it.
I agree completely concerning free choice .

InChrist

Free4ever
You still have to work for it.

You can’t simply say a prayer then forget about it and believe you are walking with God.

I would even argue that Christianity is the hardest faith to uphold because there are no set rules to guide you outside of the very clearly stated ones in the Bible.

As a Christian you must build your relationship with Christ and over time you begin to know what is right or wrong.
I agree building a relationship with Christ, maturing as a Christian, and sanctification is an ongoing process which one must choose to stay committed to and focused on Jesus Christ. Yet, that process only begins and takes place after one has salvation, has been born again and becomes a new creation in Christ, old things have passed away and all things become new.

Ebionite

The problem of buffet religion was addressed in part by validation by endorsement.

And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
John 8:16-18