• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist Koans

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Those who are frightened to let go of attachments and pass beyond, should not sit still,...and most definitely should not sit and still the mind.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
The Emperor and the Seed

"An emperor in the Far East was growing old and knew it was time to choose his successor. Instead of choosing one of his assistants or his children, he decided something different. He called young people in the kingdom together one day. He said, 'It is time for me to step down and choose the next emperor. I have decided to choose one of you.'

The kids were shocked! But the emperor continued. 'I am going to give each one of you a seed today. One very special seed. I want you to plant the seed, water it and come back here after one year from today with what you have grown from this one seed. I will then judge the plants that you bring, and the one I choose will be the next emperor!'

One boy named Ling was there that day and he, like the others, received a seed. He went home and excitedly told his mother the story. She helped him get a pot and planting soil, and he planted the seed and watered it carefully. Every day he would water it and watch to see if it had grown. After about three weeks, some of the other youths began to talk about their seeds and the plants that were beginning to grow.

Ling kept checking his seed, but nothing ever grew. 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks went by. Still nothing. By now, others were talking about their plants but Ling didn't have a plant, and he felt like a failure. Six months went by, still nothing in Ling's pot. He just knew he had killed his seed..." (for full story click on link aka title)

Luminous

non-existential luminary
This is why i hate books:*
"Once there was a well known philosopher and scholar who devoted himself to the study of Zen for many years. On the day that he finally attained enlightenment, he took all of his books out into the yard, and burned them all."
*worthless

Luminous

non-existential luminary
"One day while walking through the wilderness a man ran into a vicious tiger. He ran but soon came to the edge of a high cliff. Desperate to save himself, he tried to climb down a vine but sliped and dangled over the fatal precipice. As he hung there, two mice appeared from a hole in the cliff and began gnawing on the vine. Suddenly, he noticed on the vine a plump wild strawberry. He plucked it and popped it in his mouth. It was incredibly delicious!"

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Luminous,
Sorry those plump wild strawberry [frubals] has been eaten away.
Hang on to that vine, till it grows again.
They surely are sweet.
Love & rgds

GURSIKH

chardi kla

[SIZE=+1]Fareed, not even a drop of blood would issue forth, if someone cut my body.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Those bodies which are imbued with the Lord - those bodies contain no blood. ||51||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Fareed, where are your mother and father, who gave birth to you?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]They have left you, but even so, you are not convinced that you shall also have to go. ||73||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Fareed, the Creator is in the Creation, and the Creation abides in God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Whom can we call bad? There is none without Him. ||75||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]My teeth, feet, eyes and ears have stopped working.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]My body cries out, "Those whom I knew have left me!" ||77||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Fareed, I thought that I was in trouble; the whole world is in trouble![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]When I climbed the hill and looked around, I saw this fire in each and every home. ||81||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Fareed, in youth , along with the beautiful body.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Only a rare few are found, who love their Beloved. ||83||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Fareed, the day passes painfully; the night is spent in anguish.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The boatman stands up and shouts, "The boat is caught in the whirlpool!" ||85||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਲੰਮੀ ਲੰਮੀ ਨਦੀ ਵਹੈ ਕੰਧੀ ਕੇਰੈ ਹੇਤਿ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The river flows on and on; it loves to eat into its banks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਬੇੜੇ ਨੋ ਕਪਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੇ ਜੇ ਪਾਤਣ ਰਹੈ ਸੁਚੇਤਿ ॥੮੬॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]What can the whirlpool do to the boat, if the boatman remains alert? ||86||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਫਰੀਦਾ ਗਲੀ ਸੁ ਸਜਣ ਵੀਹ ਇਕੁ ਢੂੰਢੇਦੀ ਨ ਲਹਾਂ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Fareed, there are dozens who say they are friends; I search, but I cannot find even one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਧੁਖਾਂ ਜਿਉ ਮਾਂਲੀਹ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਤਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਾ ਪਿਰੀ ॥੮੭॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I yearn for my beloved like a smoldering fire. ||87||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਆਪੁ ਸਵਾਰਹਿ ਮੈ ਮਿਲਹਿ ਮੈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]God -, "If you reform yourself, you shall meet me, and meeting me, you shall be at peace.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜੇ ਤੂ ਮੇਰਾ ਹੋਇ ਰਹਹਿ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੯੫॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]O Fareed, if you will be mine, the whole world will be yours". ||95||[/SIZE]

cont...

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
[SIZE=+1]ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪਾੜਿ ਪਟੋਲਾ ਧਜ ਕਰੀ ਕੰਬਲੜੀ ਪਹਿਰੇਉ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Fareed, I have torn my clothes to tatters; now I wear only a rough blanket.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਵੇਸੀ ਸਹੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੇਈ ਵੇਸ ਕਰੇਉ ॥੧੦੩॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I wear only those clothes which will lead me to meet my Lord. ||103||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਮਃ ੩ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Third Mehl:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਕਾਇ ਪਟੋਲਾ ਪਾੜਤੀ ਕੰਬਲੜੀ ਪਹਿਰੇਇ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Why do you tear apart your fine clothes, and take to wearing a rough blanket?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਨਾਨਕ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਬੈਠਿਆ ਸਹੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਜੇ ਨੀਅਤਿ ਰਾਸਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥੧੦੪॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]O Nanak, even sitting in your own home, you can meet the Lord, if your mind is in the right place. ||104||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਫੁਲੜਾ ਫਲੁ ਭੀ ਪਛਾ ਰਾਤਿ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The first watch of the night brings flowers, and the later watches of the night bring fruit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਜੋ ਜਾਗੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਲਹੰਨਿ ਸੇ ਸਾਈ ਕੰਨੋ ਦਾਤਿ ॥੧੧੨॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Those who remain awake and aware, receive the gifts from the Lord. ||112||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਦਾਤੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸੰਦੀਆ ਕਿਆ ਚਲੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਾਲਿ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The gifts are from our Lord and Master; who can force Him to bestow them?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਇਕਿ ਜਾਗੰਦੇ ਨਾ ਲਹਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਇਕਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਦੇਇ ਉਠਾਲਿ ॥੧੧੩॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Some are awake, and do not receive them, while He awakens others from sleep to bless them. ||113||[/SIZE] :D

GURSIKH

chardi kla
[SIZE=+1]ਢੂਢੇਦੀਏ ਸੁਹਾਗ ਕੂ ਤਉ ਤਨਿ ਕਾਈ ਕੋਰ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]You search for your Husband ; you must have some fault in your body.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨਾਉ ਸੁਹਾਗਣੀ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਝਾਕ ਨ ਹੋਰ ॥੧੧੪॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Those who are known as happy soul-brides, do not look to others. ||114||

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]ਸਬਰ ਮੰਝ ਕਮਾਣ ਏ ਸਬਰੁ ਕਾ ਨੀਹਣੋ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Within yourself, make patience the bow, and make patience the bowstring.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਸਬਰ ਸੰਦਾ ਬਾਣੁ ਖਾਲਕੁ ਖਤਾ ਨ ਕਰੀ ॥੧੧੫॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Make patience the arrow, the Creator will not let you miss the target. ||115||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਤਨੁ ਤਪੈ ਤਨੂਰ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਲਣੁ ਹਡ ਬਲੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]My body is cooking like an oven; my bones are burning like firewood.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਪੈਰੀ ਥਕਾਂ ਸਿਰਿ ਜੁਲਾਂ ਜੇ ਮੂੰ ਪਿਰੀ ਮਿਲੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ॥੧੧੯॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If my feet become tired, I will walk on my head, if I can meet my Beloved. ||119||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਤਨੁ ਨ ਤਪਾਇ ਤਨੂਰ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਲਣੁ ਹਡ ਨ ਬਾਲਿ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Do not heat up your body like an oven, and do not burn your bones like firewood.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]What harm have your feet and head done to you? Behold your Beloved within yourself. ||120||

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]ਹਉ ਢੂਢੇਦੀ ਸਜਣਾ ਸਜਣੁ ਮੈਡੇ ਨਾਲਿ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I search for my Friend, but my Friend is already with me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਨਾਨਕ ਅਲਖੁ ਨ ਲਖੀਐ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੇਇ ਦਿਖਾਲਿ ॥੧੨੧॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukh. ||121||

cont....
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,

Stick is reserved for MINDFULL ones.
The stick remains still with mindless ones.
Love & rgds

emptyness

Very nice Koans.

Troublemane I think I know which Koan you're talking about, is it this one?

The chief monk at the monastery was looking for someone to replace him. He called the monks together and placed in front of them a water bottle. He said, "Without calling this a water bottle, tell me what it is."
One monk said, "You couldn't call it a block of wood."
Another poured himself a drink.
Just then the cook walked into the room and kicked the water bottle over. The cook was made head of the monastery.

And this one since I didn't put one yesterday.

A monk sat with his three students. He took out his fan and placed it in front of him, saying, "Without calling it a fan, tell me what this is."
The first said, "You couldn't call it a slop-bucket."
The master poked him with his stick.
The second picked up the fan and fanned himself. He too was rewarded with the stick.
The third opened the fan, laid a piece of cake on it, and served it to his teacher. The teacher said, "Eat your cake."

Conquer the angry man by love.
Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness.
Conquer the miser with generosity.
Conquer the liar with truth.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
I used to have the book "Zen Flesh; Zen Bones" before I let a friend borrow it and never laid my eyes on it again. I was wondering does anyone know the one about the silent conversation involving the man with one eye?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Sermon on Providence

A priest was sitting at his desk by the window composing a sermon on Providence when he heard something that sounded like an explosion. Soon he saw people running to and fro in a panic and discovered that a dam had burst, the river was in spate and the people were being evacuated.

The priest saw the water begin to rise in the street below. He had some difficulty suppressing his own rising sense of panic but he said to himself, “here I am preparing a sermon about Providence and I am being given an occasion to practice what I preach. I shall not flee with the rest. I shall stay right here and trust in the providence of God to save me.”

By the time the water reached his window a boat full of people came by. “Jump in, Father,” they shouted. “Ah no, my children,” said the Father confidently. “I trust in the providence of God to save me.”

Father did climb to the roof, however, and when the water got up there another boatload of people went by, urging Father to join them. Again he refused.

This time he climbed to the top of the belfry. When the water came up to his knees and officer in a motorboat was sent to rescue him. “No thank you, officer,” said Father, with a calm smile. “I trust in God, you see. He will never let me down.”

When Father drowned and went to heaven the first thing he did was to complain to God. “I trusted you! Why did you do nothing to save me?”

“Well,” said God. “I did send three boats, you know.”

Luminous

non-existential luminary
The Deist

Pilot to passengers in midflight: "i regret to inform you we are in terrible trouble. only God can save us now."
A passenger turned to a priest to ask what the pilot had said and got this reply: "He says there's no hope!"

Luminous

non-existential luminary
A traveler was walking along the road one day when a man o horseback rushed by. There was an evil look in his eyes and blood on his hands.
Minutes later a crowd of riders drew up and wanted to know if the traveler had seen someone with blood on his hands go by. They were in hot pursuit of him.
“Who is he?” the traveler asked.
“An evil-doer,” said the leader of the crowd. “And you pursue him inorder to bring him to justice?”
“No,” said the leader, “we pursue him in order to show him the way.”

Reconciliation alone will save the world.
not justice
which is generally just another word for revenge.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
[SIZE=+1]ਹੰਸਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਤਰੰਦਿਆ ਬਗਾ ਆਇਆ ਚਾਉ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Seeing the swans swimming, the cranes became excited.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਡੁਬਿ ਮੁਏ ਬਗ ਬਪੁੜੇ ਸਿਰੁ ॥੧੨੨॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The poor cranes were drowned to death, with their heads below the water and their feet sticking out above. ||122||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਕਿਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਕਿਆ ਬਗੁਲਾ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Who is a swan, and who is a crane, if God blesses him with His Glance of Grace?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ॥੧੨੪॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If it pleases Him, O Nanak, He changes a crow into a swan. ||124||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]What is that word, what is that virtue, and what is that magic mantra?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਸੋ ਹਉ ਕਰੀ ॥੧੨੬॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]What are those clothes, which I can wear to captivate my Husband Lord? ||126||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਨਿਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Humility is the word, forgiveness is the virtue, and sweet speech is the magic mantra.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਏ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਭੈਣੇ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਿ ਤਾਂ ਵ ॥੧੨੭॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will captivate your Husband Lord. ||127||

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]ਇਕੁ ਫਿਕਾ ਨ ਗਾਲਾਇ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Do not utter even a single harsh word; your True Lord and Master abides in all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਹਿਆਉ ਨ ਕੈਹੀ ਠਾਹਿ ॥੧੨੯॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Do not break anyone's heart; these are all priceless jewels. ||129||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਸਭਨਾ ਮਨ ਮਾਣਿਕ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The minds of all are like precious jewels; to harm them is not good at all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਜੇ ਤਉ ਪਿਰੀਆ ਦੀ ਸਿਕ ਹਿਆਉ ਨ ॥੧੩੦॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If you desire your Beloved, then do not break anyone's heart. ||130||[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]

cont.....
[/SIZE]

Last edited: