• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism Not Known

shintoteacher

Buddhism is a religion based in many races. It can only be comprehended by a few Avatars. But it appears those Avatars can expound what it is saying. Every person who has Buddhism can join. There are a lot of people.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That was his name :)
Because the references to him are so ancient, it's sometimes hard to piece together what he may have said versus what others thought he said.

"If you see the Buddha, kill him!". Do you know the purpose of this koan?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Buddhism is a religion based in many races. It can only be comprehended by a few Avatars. But it appears those Avatars can expound what it is saying. Every person who has Buddhism can join. There are a lot of people.
Buddhas teachings can be comprehended by any sentient being that has the capacity to receive them.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've always taken it to mean there is no True Buddha and anyone saying they are is fake/Ego.
Not sure. :)

I think the usual quote is "If you see the Buddha on the road kill him." Clearly (!) that's not a physical road. In short I would say, it warns that idolising the great teacher (or their teaching) is a barrier that should be discarded. Attachments are attachments, whatever they are to. A similar but more pithy saying is "No-one else can take a **** for you." :blush:

shintoteacher

Not sure. :)
I think the usual quote is "If you see the Buddha on the road kill him." Clearly (!) that's not a physical road. In short I would say, it warns that idolising the great teacher (or their teaching) is a barrier that should be discarded. Attachments are attachments, whatever they are to. A similar but more pithy saying is "No-one else can take a **** for you." :blush:

That is an interesting Koan. I like the way you explain it.

Also you must realize that there are more than only the Shakyamuni Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama.) There is the Maitreya Buddha and the Amida Buddha as well.