• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

buddha's last words

lordjord

well, what are they? Ive read a few different quotes and most pertain to everything being imperminet and so on. I was wondering if they are different for different branches of the religion or if there is one that most people are familier with? any help?

-thanks

lordjord

c0da said:
That is what I've read to be his last words.

yes most of the quotes ive read have been similer to this one with the exception of different wording. i guess it all comes down to a translation thing.

Doc

Space Chief
I thought he said something to the extent of, "Be a lamp onto yourselves and betake to no external refuge but yourself." Don't know for sure though.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
From the Mahaparinibbana sutta (otherwise known as "the last days of the Buddha")

Chapter 6, verse 8:

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"[58]

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

And the footnote says:
[58] Handa dani bhikkhave amantayami vo: Vayadhamma sankhara appamadena sampadetha.
Earnestness (appamada) is explained as "presence of mindfulness."
Comy.: "'You should accomplish all your duties without allowing mindfulness to lapse!' Thus did the Blessed One, while on the bed of his Parinibbana, summarize in that one word on earnestness the advice he had given through forty-five years."

I am not sure the connection between Siddharta and a worshipped deity is a good one. Siddhart was a man who learned, through experimenting on his own, how to attain enlightenment which had been done for thousands of years before.

Siddharta is not a christ nor a god. He just had one school of thought and wanted to create a path which the common person could help to attain enlightenment and not only those who spent their lifetimes doing so.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Sinks Canyon said:
I am not sure the connection between Siddharta and a worshipped deity is a good one. Siddhart was a man who learned, through experimenting on his own, how to attain enlightenment which had been done for thousands of years before.

Siddharta is not a christ nor a god. He just had one school of thought and wanted to create a path which the common person could help to attain enlightenment and not only those who spent their lifetimes doing so.
Are you responding to me? :confused:

I just gave a quote directly from the scriptures. And no where in the scriptures does it say that the Buddha was a deity.

scottaleger

Let share thoughts !!!!!!
If you want to know about What Buddha's Last words.

You must read this book : "What the Buddha Taught" Author : Paul Demieville, Walpola Rahula

Watch in the last at 10th point .

In this book, describe The Last Words of the Buddha (from the Mahaparinibbana-sutta)

In This Book :

1. Setting in Motion the Wheel of Truth (Dhammacakkappavattana-sutta)
2. The Fire Sermon (Adittapariyaya-sutta)
3. Universal Love (Metta-sutta)
4. Blessings (Mangala-sutta)
5. Getting rid of All Cares and Troubles (Sabbasava-sutta)
6. The Parable of the Piece of Cloth (Vatthupama-sutta)
7. The Foundations of Mindfulness (Satipatthana-sutta)
8. Advice to Sigala (Sigalovada-sutta)
9. The Words of Truth (Dhammapada)
10. The Last Words of the Buddha (from the Mahaparinibbana-sutta)

Information resource : What Buddha Taught 9559219197 , 9789559219194 : Printsasia