• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bringing Christianity into disrepute!

JJ50

Interesting, which parts of the bible and when did you become a 'believer'.

I did the born again thing when I was 11, but by the time I was 14 I began to have a lot of doubts about the faith. I read the Bible from cover to cover many times, and the more I read it the more like a fairy tale it seemed to be. I questioned the pastor of the Pentecostal church we attended, and his answers made me doubt even more. I lost my faith by the time I married when I was 19, 50 years ago this August. I certainly haven't missed it. I have no problem with moderate, live and let live Christians like our own three daughters, even if I don't see it their way, but I will always challenge Christian extremists, as their garbage can be very harmful and abusive.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Some extreme Christians, of the fundamentalist/Biblical literalist genre, bring the faith into disrepute with their unpleasant behaviour. Their attitude to the faith is most off putting, and is likely to have unbelievers running for the hills rather than wishing to take on board Christianity. I have been particularly disgusted by the nasty bigots who are anti-gay, they are evil, imo. There are many gay Christians in this world, as I have said before even Jesus could have been gay, as he supposedly had a disciple whom he loved. I would love to see the look on their faces if that could be proved to be correct.

1) There are about 50 Westboro "Christians" and about 50,000,000 tolerant Christians in America

2) Jesus was neither with men or women here, besides the obvious, He was engaged to the church and did not cheat on His future bride

3) I don't blame anyone for making others "run to the hills" as you put it, except the runners--I do see a double standard when skeptics dislike substitutionary atonement, claiming it's unjust for us to not be responsible for our own wrongdoing--then blame others for the ultimate wrongdoing of avoiding Christian faith in Christ! Especially since the 50,000,000 are not the 50!

JJ50

I did the born again thing when I was 11, but by the time I was 14 I began to have a lot of doubts about the faith. I read the Bible from cover to cover many times, and the more I read it the more like a fairy tale it seemed to be. I questioned the pastor of the Pentecostal church we attended, and his answers made me doubt even more. I lost my faith by the time I married when I was 19, 50 years ago this August. I certainly haven't missed it. I have no problem with moderate, live and let live Christians like our own three daughters, even if I don't see it their way, but I will always challenge Christian extremists, as their garbage can be very harmful and abusive.
1) There are about 50 Westboro "Christians" and about 50,000,000 tolerant Christians in America

2) Jesus was neither with men or women here, besides the obvious, He was engaged to the church and did not cheat on His future bride

3) I don't blame anyone for making others "run to the hills" as you put it, except the runners--I do see a double standard when skeptics dislike substitutionary atonement, claiming it's unjust for us to not be responsible for our own wrongdoing--then blame others for the ultimate wrongdoing of avoiding Christian faith in Christ! Especially since the 50,000,000 are not the 50!

The Jesus of the gospels seems like a very human guy to me, with lots of faults just like the rest of humanity, there is no way he is any sort of god, imo.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yep, even with the massive amount of information easily available today. Most non-believers I encounter in this university city have clearly only read atheist propropaganda and visited atheist websites (they will however claim they've read every scripture know)

For example the OP claims Jesus could have been gay, a highly inflammatory statement but claims 'Some extreme Christians, of the fundamentalist/Biblical literalist genre, bring the faith into disrepute with their unpleasant behaviour.'

Why is it highly inflammatory to say Jesus could have been gay?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
About the same as saying 'there are no gay people' Why?

Well, to say there are no gay people is like saying there are no birds. Not inflammable, really, just a bit weird.

And incidentally, if there were no gays, then it is no clear why people might find offending to say that Jesus was one. Or it would be as inflammatory as saying Jesus was Superman. So, your explanation seems to defeat your claim.

So, what is the problem to say Jesus was gay? A bit weird, too? Or what exactly?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Only anti-gay bigots would have a problem with the idea of Jesus being gay.
I’m not an anti-gay bigot, and I have a problem with the idea of Jesus being gay, because it’s an unsupportable idea, based on the facts we have.

JJ50

I’m not an anti-gay bigot, and I have a problem with the idea of Jesus being gay, because it’s an unsupportable idea, based on the facts we have.
There are no actual FACTS about Jesus, the gospel accounts cannot be considered factual as there is no verifiable evidence to support them.

Darkforbid

There are no actual FACTS about Jesus, the gospel accounts cannot be considered factual as there is no verifiable evidence to support them.

Which piece of atheist propaganda told you that?

Evidence from Tacitus

Evidence from Pliny the Younger

Evidence from Josephus

Evidence from the Babylonian Talmud

Evidence from Lucian (posted below)

The Christians ... worship a man to this day – the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account.... [It] was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws.

There is no excuse for your level of willful ignorance

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The Jesus of the gospels seems like a very human guy to me, with lots of faults just like the rest of humanity, there is no way he is any sort of god, imo.

Oh, which gospels were you reading? The four where He RESURRECTS FROM THE DEAD?

sojourner

But the stories exist. They’re the only stories we have. None of them would characterize Jesus as homosexual. Those are the facts we know — and they are facts. You’re making the same mistake as the fundigelicals you despise: reading into the stories what is clearly not there.

JJ50

But the stories exist. They’re the only stories we have. None of them would characterize Jesus as homosexual. Those are the facts we know — and they are facts. You’re making the same mistake as the fundigelicals you despise: reading into the stories what is clearly not there.
I only suggested Jesus might be gay as it is stated in the gospels he had a specific disciple whom he loved, who was presumably male.

sojourner

I only suggested Jesus might be gay as it is stated in the gospels he had a specific disciple whom he loved, who was presumably male.
I get that. That’s been forwarded by many. But I submit that the gospel writers could not have conceived of Jesus being gay. It just wasn’t on their radar.