• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brain Dump or wanderings of stuck writer

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I get my best idea's talking with others or at least pretending too. I feel I'm finally on the cusp of something big so I'm going to use these journals to figure it out.

Critics and comments are welcome because they'll help break my wall or lead to new incites.

I believe I have figured out music and the mind. For me it is just the process of assembling our intelligence into thought. There are several studies showing how music effects us and animals in various ways. The differences are in the different ways we think, our culture and our experiences. It also evolves as our intelligence evolves.

My new incite today is how it has been used to influence thinking in us over the years. Almost all organizations have a type of music they use. Its a part of Religion, Governments, Sports, Entertainment, Sales. I believe it is possible our minds have evolved to understand it as music a thing and not code we need to act on. Today it has less of an influence on us. This also could be because our thought process has evolved, whereas, logic supersedes its influence.

Logic to me is actually rather new to us. I believe we have 2 influences on our decision making ability survival instinct and emotional needs. Logic for me stems from survival instinct which has had to change as technology changed. I have some tests in mind to try and narrow this down better and need to do some research as it is a fresh idea.

Another new idea is openness, being open to new experiences and new idea's is the only way to peace. I am not saying accepting. I am saying listening to the new idea and thinking about it. Closed minds lead to distress. Why we close our minds is for ease. We take short cuts. Each decision requires work and time. We don't always have the time or the capacity to do the work. In short our lives are complicated and we need the resources for primary concerns. We could be over worked or highly distressed so dismiss an idea to complete another task. Can we always be open minded, I don't think so but we can understand that we are not.

Its a start, I will be back.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You misspelled insight. You're welcome, Bob!

I do that all the time thanks,

But it already helped,

I was struggling with why is seems after Retirement and age creeps in we our minds seem to be more closed.

What I believe is happening,

As a baby we are born with survival priorities and emotional prioritizes. The survival priorities for the most part are taken care of by the parents they are relatively low. Babies would then be more emotional as those priorities would be higher as there is no contrast. As we develop and learn to be logical we can balance the emotions against the logic. Then at puberty we get a whole new set of emotional and maybe a few more survival priorities. Again the emotional priorities make logical decisions less active. This can happen at various times in our lives with major distress most likely offspring. As we age we get more and more experiences so we add shortcuts to make life livable. More experiences prolong the decision making but makes it more accurate. This along with the age of the circuitry slowing down the process as well. We rely on shortcuts more often, not because we can't make a decision but because it is taking to long. The mind has a built in skip feature to decision making. We can't freeze like software and be rebooted so if a decision takes to long we skip it and move to the next priority. The decision can be reprocessed or dismissed. In our old age we dismiss more of the skipped decision possibly just because of the time it takes to get back to it. We rely on the shortcuts more so we can remain active.

Just a thought, much research is needed.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I do that all the time thanks,

But it already helped,

I was struggling with why is seems after Retirement and age creeps in we our minds seem to be more closed.

What I believe is happening,

As a baby we are born with survival priorities and emotional prioritizes. The survival priorities for the most part are taken care of by the parents they are relatively low. Babies would then be more emotional as those priorities would be higher as there is no contrast. As we develop and learn to be logical we can balance the emotions against the logic. Then at puberty we get a whole new set of emotional and maybe a few more survival priorities. Again the emotional priorities make logical decisions less active. This can happen at various times in our lives with major distress most likely offspring. As we age we get more and more experiences so we add shortcuts to make life livable. More experiences prolong the decision making but makes it more accurate. This along with the age of the circuitry slowing down the process as well. We rely on shortcuts more often, not because we can't make a decision but because it is taking to long. The mind has a built in skip feature to decision making. We can't freeze like software and be rebooted so if a decision takes to long we skip it and move to the next priority. The decision can be reprocessed or dismissed. In our old age we dismiss more of the skipped decision possibly just because of the time it takes to get back to it. We rely on the shortcuts more so we can remain active.

Just a thought, much research is needed.
You should check out the book Apprentices of Wonder. Its by now about 20+ years old but is an easy good introduction to neural networks and ideas about how thoughts might work. No doubt more recent books have more information, but this one has satisfying information about the debates between people about how thinking works. For example there used to be a group that studied human language, thinking it might be the basis of thought. They were wrong, but they invented SQL (structured query language).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You should check out the book Apprentices of Wonder. Its by now about 20+ years old but is an easy good introduction to neural networks and ideas about how thoughts might work. No doubt more recent books have more information, but this one has satisfying information about the debates between people about how thinking works. For example there used to be a group that studied human language, thinking it might be the basis of thought. They were wrong, but they invented SQL (structured query language).

Thanks will do.

allfoak

Alchemist
Another new idea is openness, being open to new experiences and new idea's is the only way to peace. I am not saying accepting. I am saying listening to the new idea and thinking about it. Closed minds lead to distress. Why we close our minds is for ease. We take short cuts. Each decision requires work and time. We don't always have the time or the capacity to do the work. In short our lives are complicated and we need the resources for primary concerns. We could be over worked or highly distressed so dismiss an idea to complete another task. Can we always be open minded, I don't think so but we can understand that we are not.

This makes me think of the concept of empathy.
Not just ordinary empathy toward another human being but empathy toward all of life.
Every experience tells us something about who we are and even the direction in which our life is headed.
This is why empathy is important.
Empathy is the ability see each experience as something that we created for ourselves.
With the use of empathy we can begin to recognize cause and effect in our lives and in turn, begin to gain more control over our circumstance.
It gets better but i am sure i have said too much already.
Peace:)

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
This makes me think of the concept of empathy.
Not just ordinary empathy toward another human being but empathy toward all of life.
Every experience tells us something about who we are and even the direction in which our life is headed.
This is why empathy is important.
Empathy is the ability see each experience as something that we created for ourselves.
With the use of empathy we can begin to recognize cause and effect in our lives and in turn, begin to gain more control over our circumstance.
It gets better but i am sure i have said too much already.
Peace:)

Thanks

Binged watched brain games mixed help some supports my ideas, some disagrees but I could see flaws in there examples. I know not quality science but just trying to jog what I already know.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Tried to find the book locally had to order online.

Its an easy read and humorous, I like the challenges but its a little below my level. I probably need to take some classes at this point.

Thanks, I will finish it, I'm sure to learn something new.

Edit: Already realized I probably need to take a step back and understand the automaton systems such as the heart and breathing ...etc. I'm beyond general published material for the mind but don't have the basics for scientific papers on it.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
How humans break the causation cycle.

This is all based on how humans use and store memory. In a computer if it needs to understand car it searches for the car flag and ignores everything else. In a human it search for an association and finds car in the association. The association has other things as well.

The best explanation I can give is from a brain dump show. They questions and in the end they show you a picture of what you answered. The show I watched was an orange hammer. When asked for a tool 80% of us have hammer at the top of memory associations.

But if a friend ask to borrow a wrench you may have to go to hammer and then through screwdriver and then wrench. This introduces 2 ideas not present into the current line of thought.

So while causation had you thinking of where your wrench is, past associations introduced hammer and screwdriver to the thought. Our memory associations are not so neat. You could have hammer, bob the builder and the home. These associations are set up and left without influence from the outside world. When called they are introduced as new additions to the current chain of events. There addition may actually shift our thoughts. For example Bob the builder may start you thinking of checking on your child.

In the same method, while conscious decisions are waiting to be processed, they are stored in memory. New decisions and priorities constantly being created while they wait. Since they are being scanned we still know they are there, they are affecting the new decisions and priorities. When they are acted on again the causes for them have changed and there is new decisions and priorities that mix with them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
@bobhikes I just saw this on BBC, so its probably about 3-6 months in the journals. Rules of memory 'beautifully' rewritten - BBC News

The medical model of memory has changed! Until now it was generally thought all memories began in the hippocampus and then congealed in the Cortex as long term memories.

It is now thought short term and long term memories are created simultaneously, one for short-term use in the Hippocampus and one for long-term use in the Cortex. They believe this because of experiments they have done with mice brains which likely are similar to human brains in this regard.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Interesting new thought, want to record it while its hot

Been musing on gravity. I have read that the universe is flat and that if you stretch a big rubber sheet and roll some heavy balls on it you will see the effects of gravity. Its a neat experiment for school kids. The problem is that if the universe is flat it would be more like a
th
and all the planets and universes are inside being pushed on from top and bottom. We are not sitting on top of space/time but actually inside space/time. Gravity then would be the force space/time exerts to go flat again. So small objects on bigger objects would only have gravity in the flat areas of space. Expanding this theory if we get to far from the large objects in space we should hit enormous friction from the pinched space walls. Basically the farther we get from the universe the harder it will be to travel between universes. Basically space is only the X and Y dimension. The big bang inflated space to allow for Z and Energy. Once Z existed space could never collapse back into just X Y. Energy was caused by the big bang and is continued with the expansion and contraction of space.

Its a work in progress.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Because of your inspiration I thought you might be interested @Sunstone @BSM1

From another thread I got some inspiration for my evolution of the Mind or Brain here goes

1)Belief is the earliest stage of the mind. It uses pure speculation and creativity. The mind is using all cylinders creatively not everything is accurate or necessary. Survival would be tough with only belief; however it gives us the inspiration to develop working theories

2)Faith is the second stage of the mind. Its uses circumstantial evidence to build a working theory it is mixing the belief with simple evidence. Trying to accurately predict daily outcomes quickly. It was necessary for survival of the species. An example: All the birds on an island have yellow streaks, you see yellow flowers and yellow fruit. You predict it is either to hide in the yellow flowers or because they eat the yellow fruit. It gives you a workable premise. Man could survive pretty well with faith alone. We would have all the industrial and technological stuff we have today but for the most part could survive.

3)Logic improves on faith and requires what we deem factual evidence. Logic uses the mind working out the details. It is slower than the other 2. It is far more accurate if used properly and is what provides the industrial and technological advances. It seems to improve our survival ability but because of the concentration on the details creativity and speculation gets minimized or lost.

Memory is common to all 3 but used differently by each. Belief just scans memory to get more information. Faith compares memory and links it to daily activity. Logic builds solid paths linking useful memory in chains so factual evidence can be verified.

Belief is necessary for Faith and logic
Faith is necessary for logic
Logic is necessary for industrial and technological advances.

My first draft still a work in progress add your thoughts or critic it helps.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Interesting new thought, want to record it while its hot

Been musing on gravity. I have read that the universe is flat and that if you stretch a big rubber sheet and roll some heavy balls on it you will see the effects of gravity. Its a neat experiment for school kids. The problem is that if the universe is flat it would be more like a
th
and all the planets and universes are inside being pushed on from top and bottom. We are not sitting on top of space/time but actually inside space/time. Gravity then would be the force space/time exerts to go flat again. So small objects on bigger objects would only have gravity in the flat areas of space. Expanding this theory if we get to far from the large objects in space we should hit enormous friction from the pinched space walls. Basically the farther we get from the universe the harder it will be to travel between universes. Basically space is only the X and Y dimension. The big bang inflated space to allow for Z and Energy. Once Z existed space could never collapse back into just X Y. Energy was caused by the big bang and is continued with the expansion and contraction of space.

Its a work in progress.

The Bible describes the spacial qualities of the universe as a fabric, curtain, being unfolded/stretched to provide a space to live within, like a tent. Which is a far more elegant and efficient way to describe lower dimensions being shaped to form higher ones.. than you hear from most cosmologists in pop science media, who generally try to make it sound far more confusing than it really is. As do 'experts' in any field. Can you say "job security!?" :)

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Last Try to get this off my chest.

What is the National Anthem to you? One Guy decides it equates to Black lives matter and then the world says, kneeing to it means you support black lives matter. Can the LBGT community also take a knee for discrimination against them. Can women take a knee because of discrimination against them. Is it OK for the religious to take a knee because of discrimination against them.

There is no direct link to the National Anthem, the flag and discrimination. They stand for the freedoms this country has gotten by all our past citizens and their fights for the rights. None in the past have ever taken a Knee for the Anthem or the flag but thrust it in front of them carrying it in their protest. Singing while they marched. Daring others to knock it from their hand or silence them.

You are an NFL player or any one in the Media and you want to support something put it on a Hat or shirt and wear it proudly in front of the camera and wave the flag or sing the Anthem to remind people of what America stands for. Don't manipulate what The Anthem or the Flag stands for.

To be honest one Guy tried something different and it really wasn't the right way to go but he had the freedom to try. Do we want to lose the symbol of our freedom for the mistake of one guy.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Conscious is the opposite of Reality.

Reality only exists if there is a separate conscious.
Conscious is created from reality but separate.
The two never fully interact.
Nothing could have never existed. Even the smallest thing needs energy and space to exist or pop into existence so at a minimum Space and Energy have existed forever or 3 things popped into existence at the same time or in a specific order. First Space, second energy, third thing. Both scenarios are highly unprobable.

Being that if space and energy existed forever reality has existed in some form forever/Conscious must have also existed in some form forever as reality creates conscious.

Similar to Light and Dark/Hot and Cold relation.

Space/reality
Time/conscious

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
On to Faith again. What is faith. Faith is a necessity born out of the emotional side of our brain. Emotions aren't logical but still need action faith was built as a way of determining the value of our emotions. Faith, Love and Hope a religious slogan has been adapted by religions around the world because they were already known and strongly weighed by humans. We are stuck with faith as long as we are humans. We would have to lose our emotions to lose faith.

I had an epiphany today about mass as well. All religious gathering are just the internet of the past. I will explain later.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Not really a brain dump but a holiday brain cleansing

I hate Christmas first I am prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder, Then I have a mother who is super Christmas and a wife who is super anti Christmas. I have to do all the shopping myself with my wife nick picking everything I do as stupid and my mother on Christmas that I didn't do enough. Add to that kids today don't just want dolls and match box cars but video games at $50.00 plus and the family is loaded with kids. I don't understand why everything needs to be so perfect.

For me if a person acknowledges me for the holiday, it is a good feeling (Cards and Happy holidays). If a person gives me a token gift (Food or trinket) it is a great feeling. If a family or friend goes out of there way to select their perfect gift for me even if I don't like it it fills me with love. I would love to be able to give up adult gift giving on the holiday other than token gifts but never should their be pressure for a perfect gift. Nothing in life is perfect.