• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahma

Chakra

Premium Member
If it was by a so-called Rishi, he must have been taking his directions to curse Brahma from an evil god.
There is something called anger, which arises when someone disrespects you, and that is how you explain this story. There is no person in samsara who is pure Sattvik (except Lord Vishnu, of course), so even Rishi-s can get angry and curse someone.

Stormcry

If it was by a so-called Rishi, he must have been taking his directions to curse Brahma from an evil god.
Calling Rudra an evil god, you won't attain any peace in your life no matter what you do. Take this as a suggestion. No OFFENSE.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Where did Rudra enter this discussion? Rudra can be angry, howling. That is indicated even by the name.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"He is fierce and destructive like a terrible beast, and is called a bull, as well as the ruddy (arusá) boar of heaven. He is exalted, strongest of the strong, swift, unassailable, unsurpassed in might. He is young and unaging, a lord (ísana) and father of the world. By his rule and univeral dominion be is aware of the doings of men and gods, He is bountiful (midhváms), easily invoked and auspicious (sivá). But he is usually regarded as malevolent; for the hymns addressed to him chiefly express fear of his terrible shafts and deprecation of his wrath. He is implored not to slay or injure, in his anger, his worshippers and their belongings, but to avert his great malignity and his cow-slaying, man-slaying bolt from them, and to lay others low. He is, however, not purely maleficent like a demon. He not only preserves from calamity, but bestows blessings. His healing powers are especially often mentioned; he has a thousand remedies, and is the greatest physician of physicians. In this connexion be has two exclusive epithets, jálasa, cooling, and jálasa-bhesaja, possessing cooling remedies."
A Vedic Reader (Excerpts)

rudra m. "Roarer or Howler", Name of the god of tempests and father and ruler of the rudra - s and marut - s (in the veda - he is closely connected with indra - and still more with agni - , the god of fire, which, as a destroying agent, rages and crackles like the roaring storm, and also with kāla - or Time the all-consumer, with whom he is afterwards identified;though generally represented as a destroying deity, whose terrible shafts bring death or disease on men and cattle, he has also the epithet śiva - ,"benevolent"or"auspicious", and is even supposed to possess healing powers from his chasing away vapours and purifying the atmosphere;in the later mythology the word śiva - ,which does not occur as a name in the veda - , was employed, first as an euphemistic epithet and then as a real name for rudra - , who lost his special connection with storms and developed into a form of the disintegrating and reintegrating principle;while a new class of beings, described as eleven [or thirty-three] in number, though still called rudra - s, took the place of the original rudra - s or marut - s: in rudra - is said to have sprung from brahmā - 's forehead, and to have afterwards separated himself into a figure half male and half female, the former portion separating again into the 11 rudra - s, hence these later rudra - s are sometimes regarded as inferior manifestations of śiva - , and most of their names, which are variously given in the differentpurāṇa - s, are also names of śiva - ;those of the ajaikapād - , ahir -budhnya - ,hara - , nirṛta - , īśvara - , bhuvana - , aṅgāraka - , ardha -ketu - , mṛtyu - , sarpa - ,kapālin - ; according to to others the rudra - s are represented as children of kaśyapa - andsurabhi - or of brahmā - and surabhi - or of bhūta - and su -rūpā - ; according to to rudra - is one of the 8 forms of śiva - ;elsewhere he is reckoned among the dik -pāla - s as regent of the north-east quarter)

rudra mfn. (prob.) crying, howling, roaring, dreadful, terrific, terrible, horrible (applied to the aśvin- s, agni - , indra - , mitra - , varuṇa - , and the sp/aśaḥ - ) rud - or rudh - connected with rudhira - ;others"strong, having or bestowing strength or power", fr. a rud - equals vṛd - , vṛdh - ;native authorities give also the following meanings,"driving away evil";"running about and roaring", fr. ru - +dra - = dru - 2;"praiseworthy, to be praised";"a praiser, worshipper"equals stotṛ -
Sanskrit Dictionary

"There are many derivations of the word rudra, "roditi rudraH". The one who causes to cry is rudra. Most scholars have taken the negative meaning that rudra causes everyone to cry tears of terror and sorrow. Svaami alone gives us the positive meaning that the one who causes tears of happiness is rudra. Another derivation: "ruddraavayati iti rudraH". The one who dissolves (draavayati) the tears (rud = samsaara) is rudra. The rudra prashnaH is also referred to as the namaka. This is because the word namo occurs most frequently in it. When broken up it reads as “na maH”. This means “not mine” Even though not spoken aloud but equally well meant is: “not mine ( it is yours, my Lord )”. The chamaka is so named because of the repeated words “cha me”."
Pancha Mahaabhuuta Paadukaa Puujaa

Last edited:

Shantanu

He makes his enemies cry. So the name Rudra. :) This is I was saying to Shantanu.
I am sorry if I upset you by calling Shiva evil. I have a theory that gods are divided into good, indifferent, and evil governing sattvic, rajasic and tamasic gunas respectively. All our thoughts and beliefs are derived from gods in our subconscious. You may not like the word evil but what I mean by that is that if you are evil-minded person who is prone to doing bad things from svabhava (nature) you will be attracted to a evil god in your guna consciousness no matter what name you give that god. And since Brahma is sattvic, and Vishnu is rajasic, that only leaves Shiva to be the Trimurti's evil god. Sorry if this is unpalatable to some.

Last edited:

Stormcry

I am sorry if I upset you by calling Shiva evil. I have a theory that gods are divided into good, indifferent, and evil governing sattvic, rajasic and tamasic gunas respectively. All our thoughts and beliefs are derived from gods in our subconscious. You may not like the word evil but what I mean by that is that if you are evil-minded person who is prone to doing bad things from svabhava (nature) you will be attracted to a evil god in your guna consciousness no matter what name you give that god. And since Brahma is sattvic, and Vishnu is rajasic, that only leaves Shiva to be the Trimurti's evil god. Sorry if this is unpalatable to some.
There were number of Sattvik Sages who used to worship Shiva. Lord Krishna himself was worshiper of him... The fact is that the same lord assumes three forms according to three gunas and worship of these three gods as one is prescribed by scriptures.Rudra is Paramatma, Vishnu is Paramatma, Brahma is Paramatma, Indra is Paramatma...

Shantanu

There were number of Sattvik Sages who used to worship Shiva. Lord Krishna himself was worshiper of him... The fact is that the same lord assumes three forms according to three gunas and worship of these three gods as one is prescribed by scriptures.Rudra is Paramatma, Vishnu is Paramatma, Brahma is Paramatma, Indra is Paramatma...
The gods of the guna consciousness (including Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva) have nothing to do with Paramatma. There is only one Paramatma, which is Sri Krishna who is seated in every heart if you care to look for him.

Stormcry

The gods of the guna consciousness (including Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva) have nothing to do with Paramatma. There is only one Paramatma, which is Sri Krishna who is seated in every heart if you care to look for him.

Krishna himself says everything is Brahman. There's no difference among I and Shiva and Brahma. Duality is ignorance and Non-duality is knowledge.

Stormcry

Don't you know Krishna is an Avatar of Vishnu?