• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahma

JRMcC

Hi all,
I wonder about the status of the creator God Brahma a lot. I've always heard and read that he is part of the big trinity of gods, but it seems that he doesn't get nearly as much attention as Vishnu and Shiva. Why is there Vaishnavism and Shaivism, but no Brahmism? I know that there used to be much more worship of Brahma earlier in India's history. In Buddhism's Tevijja Sutta the Buddha is speaking to some Brahmins who have been seeking the path to "union with Brahma". Is there some particular reason for this decline in Brahma worship?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just think it's very interesting and I'm curious. Thanks! :)

JRMcC

I think Brahma is not worshipped 'cause he'd a curse that he'll not be worshiped.

Apparently another explanation is that Buddha and Mahavira came in oder to lead demons of some kind away from the Vedas and Brahma worship and the powers they gained from it. And so ever since Brahma's worship has suffered. I only read that on a forum though.

JRMcC

Is it mentioned in Vaidika scriptures? What I've said is from Vaidik Scripture.

What you said is from the Puranas, right? I don't think this other theory I mentioned is from Vedic scripture, but I don't know really.

I recently had a lot of contact with people who are in ISKCon. They believe that Buddha is an incarnation of Krishna that purposely led atheists and misinterpreters away from the Vedas (Does your school of Vaishnavism also believe this?) They never mentioned Brahma worship, but it looks like the same story. It's an interesting idea for sure.

Chakra

Premium Member
Brahma has already been removed from the race of supremacy a long time ago. It really just boils down to Vishnu and Shiva.

Stormcry

What you said is from the Puranas, right? I don't think this other theory I mentioned is from Vedic scripture, but I don't know really.

I recently had a lot of contact with people who are in ISKCon. They believe that Buddha is an incarnation of Krishna that purposely led atheists and misinterpreters away from the Vedas (Does your school of Vaishnavism also believe this?) They never mentioned Brahma worship, but it looks like the same story. It's an interesting idea for sure.
I personally don't have any idea about the other theory. Yes, Buddha was Avatar of Vishnu. Lord Brahma is first born. He creates the world. In order to protect it from him Vishnu manifests and in order to destroy it Shiva manifests. The same lord appears in the form of Brahma, Vishnu & Shiva. Their difference is according to their Upadhi. Upadhi of Vishnu is satva, of Brahma is Rajas and of Shiva is Tamas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is a very important aspect that has been left to Lord Brahma and that is writing of the fate, and one of the names given to him is 'Vidhata'. So, Lord Brahma writes the fate of a person on his forehead and things would always happen only that way. Another function given to him is that of springing up surprises by keeping a portion of 'karmas' to fructify later (Prarabhda). That is why even a pious person may suffer because of his past karmas and an evil person may enjoy prosperity because of his past good karmas.

Three Kinds of Karma - Swami Sivananda
Sanchita Karmas are accumulated works
Prarabdha Karmas are ripe or fructuous actions
Kriyamana or Agami Karmas are current works
Kinds of Karma

Last edited:

Shantanu

Hi all,
I wonder about the status of the creator God Brahma a lot. I've always heard and read that he is part of the big trinity of gods, but it seems that he doesn't get nearly as much attention as Vishnu and Shiva. Why is there Vaishnavism and Shaivism, but no Brahmism? I know that there used to be much more worship of Brahma earlier in India's history. In Buddhism's Tevijja Sutta the Buddha is speaking to some Brahmins who have been seeking the path to "union with Brahma". Is there some particular reason for this decline in Brahma worship?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just think it's very interesting and I'm curious. Thanks! :)

The way I see it is this: Brahma is the sattvic deity of knowledge (truth) and creation. Only gyan yogis (sattvic people) seek truth. Truth comes from detachment or this will impede the process of truth acquisition. Worshipping means attachment to Brahma. Attachment to Brahma at the cost of truth is therefore an impediment to truth seeking. Besides, truth ultimately comes from God Sri Krishna through Brahma if He is stirred. And Sri Krishna does not wish to be worshipped by humans. So Brahma too does not allow himself to be worshipped. Hence there are no temples devoted to the worship of Brahma. Followers of Brahma practice Brahmanisim.

On the other hand Vishnu is rajasic God known as Preserver who makes things run in a routine manner and as saviour which therefore has many devotees worshipping him. Following Vishnu is known as Vaishnavism.

Shiva on the other hand is tamasic god who destroys and is simultaneously is procreator and people worship him because they are fearful of what he might do and because He might help them destroy enemies. Shiva is also worshipped because he is Lingaraj, giving children. He is therefore venerated by many Hindus and many temples. Following Shiva is known as Shaivism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In both Vaishnavism and Shaivism, the three are contained within the one, whether it be Vishnu, or Shiva. Nataraja has 5 powers ... emanation, (Brahma) , sustaining (Vishnu), dissolution (Shiva) and concealing and revealing graces. So it's a misconception to view Shaivites as worshiping only the 'destruction' aspect, etc. It could be true for a few people. I suppose ... maybe Smartas, I'm not sure.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. maybe Smartas, I'm not sure.
Only for Vaishnavas. For smartas, who worship six deities, they are all equal. Shiva and Durga also are creators and preservers. I think, I am closer to smartas, although technically I am not so.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. maybe Smartas, I'm not sure.
Only for Vaishnavas. For smartas, who worship six deities, they are all equal. Shiva and Durga also are creators and preservers. I think, I am closer to smartas, although technically I am not so.