• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahma Worship

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Personally, if I were a Hindu, I would find myself worshiping/following Brahma, the whole pantheon packed in one. But recently I've heard this is not practices or at least not common. Is there any reason why? I mean, you are fine to your God/Goddess that you follow right now, but is there any rules or restrictions against this?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Brahmā is the creator deva, not the All, who is called as Brahman.

You don't worship Brahman, because Brahman is impersonal, or synonymous with the Supreme Deva. According to the ones with whom Brahman is impersonal, all worship ultimately arrives at the Supreme anyway.

Also, Hinduism is not really 'rules or restrictions' centric. It's not like Western religions for the most part.

The reason Brahman is not worshipped is because worshipping Brahman is like worshipping gravity.

Onkara

There is worship and mantra for Brahman, but essentially it is impersonal as it is your Self or Atman, as Odion correctly says. :) It is much easier to worship God with form, such as Krishna, Vishnu, Durga, Shiva etc.

For Brahman see chapter 3 specifically: Mahanirvana Tantra Index

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, if I were a Hindu, I would find myself worshiping/following Brahma, the whole pantheon packed in one. But recently I've heard this is not practices or at least not common. Is there any reason why? I mean, you are fine to your God/Goddess that you follow right now, but is there any rules or restrictions against this?

There are apparently a couple of temples of communities that worship Brahma specifically.

Just to be sure, do you mean Brahma or Brahman? Because there is a big difference.

Bramha is the creator god whereas Brahman is the all-pervading Consciousness.

Bramha is not generally worshiped like Vishnu or Shiva because he is not considered by anyone to be the One Supreme. He is born of Vishnu for the purpose of developing the material universe.

Vishnu and/or Shiva are considered to be the actual Origin- God. Bramha is not.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
nothing wrong to worship brahma, brahma is a popular god in thailand and many asian coutries
That is correct. :)

Interestingly, it is the people from Buddhist-majority countries who worship Brahmā most of all, with the worship of Brahmā being quite rare in the homeland of Hinduism nowadays. Two good examples of Buddhist countries worshipping them are Shingon Buddhism in Japan, and how one can find people worshipping Brahmā (Phra Phom) and even Gaṇeśa (Phra Pikanet).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a story explaining why Brahma is rarely worshipped. I may have some details wrong, but the story is easily found.

In a nutshell, Shiva once challenged Brahma and Vishnu to find His (Shiva's) beginning and end. Vishnu turned Himself into a boar and began burrowing deep down into the Earth. Vishnu could not reach the goal, returned to Shiva, did obeisance and said He could not find Shiva's beginning or end. Shiva was well-pleased.

Brahma turned Himself into a bird and flew upwards. He could not find Shiva's beginning nor end. But Brahma asked one of the other deities to vouch that He did find the end. Shiva was furious at Brahma's display of ego, and cursed Brahma that no one on Earth would worship Him again.

It's also told that for this transgression, or another one, for penance, Brahma continuously recites one of the four Vedas with each of His four heads.

I think Hindu stories are probably the most colorful of all the world's religious stories, and have the most subtle morals to them. You just have to pay attention. If you blink, you miss the moral of the story. The take home lesson we have here is that it's wrong for even a deity to show ego.

Brahmajnani

There are apparently a couple of temples of communities that worship Brahma specifically.

Just to be sure, do you mean Brahma or Brahman? Because there is a big difference.

Bramha is the creator god whereas Brahman is the all-pervading Consciousness.

Bramha is not generally worshiped like Vishnu or Shiva because he is not considered by anyone to be the One Supreme. He is born of Vishnu for the purpose of developing the material universe.

Vishnu and/or Shiva are considered to be the actual Origin- God. Bramha is not.

ABSENCE OF BRAHMA WORSHIP:
Many mythological reasons are given why Brahma is not worshiped. However, the actual reason is totally different.
Brahma is the god of creativity. He enables us to rebuild our life even when our life is devastated completely, by offering us innovative solutions, for tiding over the crisis.
However, more often than not, we end up having a secret, demonic and indestructible parallel life, totally independent of our main life. Ravana, Narakasura and Bali symbolize this demonic parallel life. They are symbolically destroyed by adjacent god Vishnu during Diwali.

Therefore, the worship of Brahma as an independent god was banned to prevent creation of a secret, demonic and indestructible parallel life.

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Namaste,

Another POV is that since BrahmA (not Brahman) did his job of creation, it is not left to viShNu, the preserver and Siva the destroyer that one worships. brahmA is nothing left to create. Some say, that all three, creation, preservation and destruction occur every second.

Some say that brahmA ji created us and tied us in illusion. It is viShNu, who grants moksha and Siva who is the destroyer of ignorance and giver of knowledge that he should be worshiped. viShNu is popular because he took many incarnations to save us and re-establish dharma. Siva is popular as the remover of ignorance, Lord of Yoga and granter of moksha. abiding in knowledge is moksha. They are not different.

Technically, neither viShNu as just a deity of preservation nor Siva just as deity of destruction are worshiped. They are connected with Supreme Brahman, from which trinity manifests. Reer Vishnu purANa.

VP 1.2.1-2: srI parASarajI said – the one who is the cause of brahmA, viShNu (hari) {deity of preservation} and Sankara and assumes the forms of brahmA, viShNu {deity of preservation} and Sankara for the creation, preservation and destruction of the world (or universe). And who helps his devotees to swim the ocean of samsAra i.e. transcend his devotees beyond samsAra (this transcient world), that changeless, pure, indestructible, paramAtmA, always one and uniform (ekarasa), completely victorious (sarvavijayI), my salutations to bhagavAn vAsudeva viShNu.

VP 1.2.3: Inspite of being one, appears as in many forms, is of the nature of gross-subtle, is unmanifested and is also manifest, and is the cause of liberation of his devotees, I bow to that bhagavAn viShNu.

Please refer this link for more details

I have a book, 'The Guru Tradition' I will search and reply if I find some info.

OM

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My son and his family visited Pushkar yesterday, one of the few places that have Brahma temples, where Lord Brahma is supposed to have rested after the creation of the universe. Pushkar has a nice lake and is famous for a cattle fair held every year. It is also famous for being a destination of Western drug users.

The Sampradaya Sun - Independent Vaisnava News - Feature Stories - August 2009
Pushkar town and the lake
pushkar_lake_view1.jpg

As for why he is not worshiped there are many stories.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Another reason for the abolition of the worship of Brahma/Prajapti according to Shruti. This happened around 2,000 BC.

"Let us next see what traditions about the intermediate stages have been preserved. First of all I refer to the tradition of Rudra killing Prajapati, the god of time, for receding towards his daughter Rohini. The Aitareya Brahmana (iii. 33) describes this conduct of Prajapati as ‘akrita’ (in the sense of 'not done') or unprecedented and such as deserved to be severely noticed by the gods. Can we not herein discover the fact that the sun was gradually receding towards Rohini, by the precession of the equinoxes? The ancient priests, who observed the fact as they watched the Nakshatras at the commencement of the year, could not account for the change, and they rightly and honestly believed that it was a great calamity that the sun or Prajapati should thus follow an unprecedented course.

I Have previously referred to a verse from Garga, which says that if the Uttarayana commenced otherwise than from the asterism of Dhanishtha, it foretold a great danger; and we may suppose that the Vedic Aryas similarly believed that if the sun ceased to commence the year from Orion, it was an unprecedented calamity. Prajapati, however, was punished for his unusual conduct, and there the matter ended for the time being. I may also refer here to the ancient mode, of deriving the word Rohini. The Arabs called it Al-dabaran (English – Aldebaran) or “the follower” evidently because it came next after the- Krittikas. But the Hindus called it Rohini, "the ascended", inasmuch as they noticed that the sun gradually ran towards it in oldest days. It has been suggested that we should explain the legend of Prajapati by (reference to the daily rising of Rohini, Mrigashiras, and Rudra in succession.

But this explanation hardly accounts for the fact why Prajapati was considered as literally running after Rohini in an unprecedented way. Surely we cannot suppose that the Vedic priests were ignorant of the fixed position of these constellations, and if so, we cannot account for the fact why they considered Prajapati as running after and thinking of living together with Rohini unless they had noticed the actual recession of the sun towards Rohini owing to the precession of the equinoxes. The tradition of Prajapati and Rudra, is thus comparatively speaking a later tradition though it seems to have been completely formed before the separation, of the Greeks and the Iranians from the Indian Aryans."
"Orion or the researches in the Antiquity of Vedas", Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Page 213-14.

Last edited:

Shantanu

The whole pantheon packed into one is not Brahma but Brahman, the universe. It is neutral. One seeks union with Brahman as an atheistic Hindu, but one does not worship Brahman. Brahma is a deity of the consciousness energy that Brahman is comprised of in addition to the complementary physical energy that go to make up the universe. Brahma is a deity of truth and creation that imparts wisdom. Brahma can be worshipped but it is not recommended. What is recommended is worshipping truth if a person is of sattvic bent of mind.