• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Boss Who Asked Transgender Woman 'What Are You?'"

Did the Boss man go to far? Do you believe "her" rights were violated?

Boss Who Asked Transgender Woman 'What Are You?' Agrees To Significant Settlement
5.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...f61e4b03784e277e215?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Yes, he went too far. What a terrible question to ask.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes. He fired her just for being trans.
http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/wysk/enforcement_protections_lgbt_workers.cfm
The Commission's Strategic Enforcement Plan (SEP), adopted by a bipartisan vote in December of 2012, lists "coverage of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals under Title VII's sex discrimination provisions, as they may apply" as an enforcement priority for FY2013-2016. This enforcement priority is consistent with positions the Commission has taken in recent years regarding the intersection of LGBT-related discrimination and Title VII's prohibition on sex discrimination.

In 2012, the EEOC held that discrimination against an individual because that person is transgender (also known as gender identity discrimination) is discrimination because of sex and therefore is prohibited under Title VII. See Macy v. Department of Justice, EEOC Appeal No. 0120120821 (April 20, 2012). The Commission has also held that discrimination against an individual because of that person's sexual orientation is discrimination because of sex and therefore prohibited under Title VII. See David Baldwin v. Dep't of Transportation, EEOC Appeal No. 0120133080 (July 15, 2015).

Consistent with case law from the Supreme Court and other courts, the Commission takes the position that discrimination against an individual because that person is transgender is a violation of Title VII's prohibition of sex discrimination in employment. Therefore, the EEOC's district, field, area and local offices will accept and investigate charges from individuals who believe they have been discriminated against because of transgender status (or because of gender identity or a gender transition).
And I find your use of quotation marks around her to be incredibly offensive.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I'm sorry you were easily offended by a question simply used to gather information from others and their thoughts.
The "question" in question was the one he asked, not yours.

Kirran

Premium Member
To weigh in with an identical opinion: yes, he was totally out of line, and this woman's rights were infringed upon here, if she was discriminated against in the workplace due to being trans.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

Boss Who Asked Transgender Woman 'What Are You?' Agrees To Significant Settlement
View attachment 10664

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...f61e4b03784e277e215?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

I don't know about all this, but some years back I use to hang around with this guy whose sibling considered him/herself as a hermaphrodite. We would often discuss and debate ancient Egyptian mythology and certain aspects of Magick. This person was attempting to form some sort of cult around his/her ideas and mystical beliefs and had three "disciples" that I knew of. Well, I apparently was some sort of project to see if he/she could convert or recruit me, a Setian, to his/her beliefs into this cult. After some time when it became apparent that he/she was not succeeding in the conversion; because I came with "too much baggage" he/she became hostile towards me one night, condemning me and my Setianism and Left-Hand Path beliefs. I began laughing because it was all quite humorous and stood up in his/her living room and said - "I wish you all the best in your endeavors, but you can kiss my hairy white ***"! And laughing, I walked out of that persons front door never to return again. I do not suffer fools, or idiots, no matter what gender/s, who try to manipulate are convert me in adhering to their stupidity.

For ever in the Black Flame of Set!
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
most job applications have a place for the applicant to specify "male" or "female". Does this mean you cannot ask that question any more?
They can ask that (even though there are many questions that are routinely asked that are illegal). However, she was already hired. Her boss allegedly asked "What are you?" After Dye explained herself, her boss' responses was "'what am I supposed to do with you?' and then instructed her to get her things and leave the premises." And, according to federal law, you cannot discriminate against someone who is transsexual. The fact that the company made a settlement gives merit that she was indeed discriminated against.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
most job applications have a place for the applicant to specify "male" or "female". Does this mean you cannot ask that question any more?

Sure they can. The problem lies with employers who have a problem when the gender that an applicant identifies with isn't the same as the one they were born with.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There needs to be a third designation. Just transgender, or male/female, female/male etc. Other works well too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There needs to be a third designation. Just transgender, or male/female, female/male etc. Other works well too.
Having a box for transgender would not be legal, as it would be asking upfront about one's medical history. Other/prefer not to say would be legal, but I don't see many employers considering that applicant for an interview.

Twilight Hue

Having a box for transgender would not be legal, as it would be asking upfront about one's medical history. Other/prefer not to say would be legal, but I don't see many employers considering that applicant for an interview.
I dunno, but it could be a possibility in light of Hippa.

It's a little hard for most to hide the fact of being transgendered anyways, albeit I've come across a few that could easily pass muster.

It would be an honest designation, and of course legal protections are in place to see that discrimination won't occur to qualified people.

Either that, or just eliminate altogether sexual identity sections for everyone.that fills out required forms and applications.

Twilight Hue

Most trans people would probably be offended if they were forced under other or trans, although I agree that more gender designations are good.
I've never thought of trans as being a bad term in itself. In fact, it creates a notable draw in cases involving meet ups and hangouts many places in New York. Queens etc. Maybe it's demographics. Popular in one area, derogatory in another.

Other than medical and legal usages, an omission of sexual orientation in many instances might be a better course.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Either that, or just eliminate altogether sexual identity sections for everyone.that fills out required forms and applications.
That would probably be best, as it's entirely irrelavent uring the initial application process anyways (for almost nearly all jobs, anyways).

Twilight Hue

What do you mean they considered them self a hermaphrodite? There is no "considered" them self a hermaphrodite, they either are or aren't... Are you perhaps trying to refer to gender-fluidity or gender neutrality?
Actually I personally consider hermaphrodite a bonofide and natural third sex.