• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Revelation, what is it? Good, or bad? [Vote

Book of Revelation, good or bad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes, I'm aware of the aborted attempt to rebuild the Temple. The Heavenly City is not a spiritual allegory, it is a real place, whose dimensions and shape (matching the rectangle of the Earthly Temple) are given in the scriptures.

Your interpretation issues have to do with taking literal scripture figuratively or allegorically. I adhere very closely to God's Word and Paul is specific, that Jesus will not return until Antichrist is seated on the Holy of Holies, blaspheming.

Which would mean the Temple was still standing or that it had been rebuilt.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Paul died before the temple was destroyed.. Please post the verse where Paul talks about the "antichrist"... Over the centuries lots of crackpots have claimed St Paul was the antichrist.

The Abomination of Desolation was under Emperor IV Antiochus Epiphanes.. around 168 BC.. during the time of the Maccabean revolt.

There are multiple Bible prophecies with double fulfillment. As a Jew, trust me, I realize Antiochus abominated the Temple in 168 but he did NOT declare while sitting on the Holy of Holies that he was God--he didn't even enter the Second Temple but had his men put the pig on the altar. Here are some verses:

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2 that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. 5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things? 6 And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Are you sure THE apostasy has come already? (verse 3)
Was THE man of lawlessness revealed? (3)
Did he sit IN the Temple? (4)
Saying "I'm GOD!" (4)
What "signs and false wonders" (miracles) did Nero perform? (9)
Etc., etc.

sooda

Veteran Member
There are multiple Bible prophecies with double fulfillment. As a Jew, trust me, I realize Antiochus abominated the Temple in 168 but he did NOT declare while sitting on the Holy of Holies that he was God--he didn't even enter the Second Temple but had his men put the pig on the altar. Here are some verses:

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2 that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. 5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things? 6 And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Are you sure THE apostasy has come already? (verse 3)
Was THE man of lawlessness revealed? (3)
Did he sit IN the Temple? (4)
Saying "I'm GOD!" (4)
What "signs and false wonders" (miracles) did Nero perform? (9)
Etc., etc.

Antiochus IV, a king of the Seleucid Empire, took upon himself the title Epiphanes, meaning the "illustrious one" or "god manifest." He was known as Antiochus Epiphanes and reigned from 175 BC until 164 BC in what is now Syria.

He gave himself the surname "Epiphanes" which means "the visible god" (that he and Jupiter were identical)

sooda

Veteran Member
The Book of Revelations was one of many apocalyptic literature written in the time period, and by far most if not all are of unknown authorship. The vision probably related to different times in history, possibly the Roman world, and possibly prophetic visions of future progressive Revelations. It has always been open to interpretation throughout history.

You may find this interesting:

1:4 John to the seven churches that are in the province of Asia:

While the book of Revelation is an apocalypse when it comes to its genre, it is not a pure apocalypse (1) in that it is set in the context of a letter. We can see this clearly in the following verses. The Book of Revelation is not really a book; it is in fact a letter addressed to churches in the province of Asia. By its own witness, this apocalyptic letter also contains prophecy (Rev. 1:3, 22:7).

It is common to think of prophecy as predictions, but to an Israelite mind prophecy is primarily a proclamation of previously known truth, a call to return and not to forget the important matters. Thus, the Book of Revelation can be called an apocalyptic letter containing prophecy, combining at least three genres in one document (apocalyptic, epistolary and prophetic).

https://blog.israelbiblicalstudies....ewish-context-rev-14-7-dr-eli-lizorkin-eyzen/

pearl

It is common to think of prophecy as predictions, but to an Israelite mind prophecy is primarily a proclamation of previously known truth, a call to return and not to forget the important matters.

Something we should not loose sight of.
Also interesting is the connection to the 'liturgy' of the churches, of which much was patterned on the Jerusalem Temple, with its lampstands, incense, altars, hymns etc. Another possibility that the 'seer' envisions the celebration of an ideal Feast of Tabernacles in the heavenly Jerusalem (Zech). Or was it that Christian liturgy shaped the writer's imagery? The use of white garments, was the 'marriage supper of the lamb' a reference to a Eucharistic celebration, did Christian liturgy shape Rev or was Rev read and heard? Was John's vision of the Scroll unsealed in a heavenly liturgy influenced by the practice? The questions are endless and so are the possibilities.