• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob dylan "all along the watchtower"

David T

Premium Member
I got a great thread deleted. I attacked theology, while everyone creates garbage about or attacks the text. Arrrgh priorities people anyway onto this related thread.

Poetry has got to be a very unusual art form. It actually deconstructs descriptive language into melodic expression. Which in reality, language was first melodic expression that metamorphed into descriptive definitions evolutionarily. It's interesting that some have claimed Dylan to not be a poet because he relies on his guitar as a crutch. If all along the watchtower is broken down musically it's a simple three cords played over and over and over. Virtually no music actually. So the poets that have said he isn't a poet aren't too aware of much, I would say there is too much confusion.

As consumers we have rendered poetry into the category of "experts" there are no such thing as expert poets just poets that we have expertized. That gives "scholars" what ever the hell they are, a place to comment, like wine tasters and plowmen.dylan blasts it all. It does not mean he understands he just blasts it all in this poem. I love the wildcat always out, always in the wilderness, John Muir definitely was a wildcat. Dylan has been fooled by the joker and the Thief, it's in his paintings.

I Love his poem, he is the muse. I have taken the final verse and placed a copy at the beginning to give that loop a clearer statement. Dylan never ventures past my art the watchtowers, my art constrains Dylan I build buildings. I am a carpenter, my art dominates his paintings. So sad so normal. It does not diminish Dylan it just makes me see him as being really really tapped in despite himself.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

There must be some way out of here" said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion", I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth.

"No reason to get excited", the thief he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late".

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
h
It's also a song that has been done so well (by Hendrix) that nobody need try again. The guitar solo beginning at 1:40 is widely one of the greats of rock history, and is just and fresh and modern as it was when it was recorded decades ago, especially at about the 2:00 mark.

One of my favorite pieces of all time, still played regularly in this house

David T

Premium Member
This is one of those songs I wish was longer.
Well write it stop wishing it and waiting around for someone else!! I am totally into pre literate folk music which this song springs forth. Its three cords and that is all. All pre literate music was shaped and reformed into song generation after generation. So get with it already!!!, it might suck so what do it, for doing it is infinitely less sucky than not doing it regardless.

David T

Premium Member
h
It's also a song that has been done so well (by Hendrix) that nobody need try again. The guitar solo beginning at 1:40 is widely one of the greats of rock history, and is just and fresh and modern as it was when it was recorded decades ago, especially at about the 2:00 mark.

I disagree hendrix showed us with the fastest turn around in history from pre literate folk to electric. Dylan forces us to listen to the words. Hendrix forces to listen to the music. American folk is deep we have lost that presence. It's in John Muir writings it's in MLK I have a dream speech.

David T

Premium Member
One of my favorite pieces of all time, still played regularly in this house
What do you play? If you say stereo I say learn three cords with a capo on the 4th fret. Am then two barre cords. F and G. That is all. You can throw in a harmonica for flavor. Then maybe create some verses to add to it polish it match how you feel!! That's pre literate music, right there. Here is cobains cover of lead belly same thing. Dylan and cobain had totally suck voices.. Please dare tell me that this video is not powerful. Btw I too am a lefty. I play a Taylor 214!!! My girl but guys are like that.

Oh I have to throw in first aid kit too since I am writing to the fairer sex here. Original but tapped in. If you watch them perform it live to emmylou if ya have a dry eye, after that well I then I have to say robotess!!

ChristineM

Premium Member
What do you play? If you say stereo I say learn three cords with a capo on the 4th fret. Am then two barre cords. F and G. That is all. You can throw in a harmonica for flavor. Then maybe create some verses to add to it polish it match how you feel!! That's pre literate music, right there. Here is cobains cover of lead belly same thing. Dylan and cobain had totally suck voices.. Please dare tell me that this video is not powerful. Btw I too am a lefty. I play a Taylor 214!!! My girl but guys are like that.

Oh I have to throw in first aid kit too since I am writing to the fairer sex here. Original but tapped in. If you watch them perform it live to emmylou if ya have a dry eye, after that well I then I have to say robotess!!

Daniela Ruah

Sorry to disappoint but yes, stereo, and if i wanted to play guitar i would have done, i didn't see the need of massaging my own ego when there are/were far better players than i would ever be.

Dylan is good but lets see him play his guitar like hendrix and I'd play Dylan's version too.

I never could stomach Cobain, his voice grates on my nerves so not bothered playing it, but thanks

And please done inject smarm to impress me, it doesn't work.

David T

Premium Member
Daniela Ruah

Sorry to disappoint but yes, stereo, and if i wanted to play guitar i would have done, i didn't see the need of massaging my own ego when there are/were far better players than i would ever be.

Dylan is good but lets see him play his guitar like hendrix and I'd play Dylan's version too.

I never could stomach Cobain, his voice grates on my nerves so not bothered playing it, but thanks

And please done inject smarm to impress me, it doesn't work.
Be an artist what is the bible a science text? I am always fascinated by consumers always measuring and seems aspergish!!! Lol

David T

Premium Member
Why religious forum!? What's the attraction. I have an extremely narrow specific reasonand ultimately is can be described as environmental.. Why are you attracted? For Great theology? There is no such thing... For the erudite scientific proofs against noah's ark? Which btw remind me of monty python skit burn the witch.... My posting is about a poet and a song played in three cords. So we can go through life theologicalizing intellectually about Dylan or we can engage with Dylan. I am all about art and nature. Mother nature doesn't have enough poetic voices particularly in female form. So really all I am doing is encouraging as I prod ya.

I suck totally suck but I play none the less. Better to suck than to sit wishing to at least suck at art but afraid? Self critical? Self judgemental? I say put on the beret be wierd..!!! That's all, but I have an advantage I am left handed.. And that is a curse as well look at cobain hendrix btw. I am very critical of self criticism in regards to art. Be horrible and be it with flair. Dylan total wierdo.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why religious forum!? What's the attraction. I have an extremely narrow specific reasonand ultimately is can be described as environmental.. Why are you attracted? For Great theology? There is no such thing... For the erudite scientific proofs against noah's ark? Which btw remind me of monty python skit burn the witch.... My posting is about a poet and a song played in three cords. So we can go through life theologicalizing intellectually about Dylan or we can engage with Dylan. I am all about art and nature. Mother nature doesn't have enough poetic voices particularly in female form. So really all I am doing is encouraging as I prod ya.

I suck totally suck but I play none the less. Better to suck than to sit wishing to at least suck at art but afraid? Self critical? Self judgemental? I say put on the beret be wierd..!!! That's all, but I have an advantage I am left handed.. And that is a curse as well look at cobain hendrix btw. I am very critical of self criticism in regards to art. Be horrible and be it with flair. Dylan total wierdo.

Dylan is a great poet, and a lousy guitar player, even so he easily outstrips my will to play.

He is also a lousy singer, but again much better than me, even my cats cower when i sing along to the stereo.

I am not a musical person, my school music teacher would vouch for that but i enjoy the music of some musicians.

Nor so i profess to be a poet for more serious reasons i won't go onto at the moment for the sake of brevity and adherence to the theme of the thread

By the same token, i would suggest i am a far better visual artist than Dylan.

Horses for courses.

As do why I'm here, i enjoy the banter, i like good discission, and there are a few posters i can and do lean from, hopefully there are posters that find at least a few of my posts enlightening.

David T

Premium Member
Dylan is a great poet, and a lousy guitar player, even so he easily outstrips my will to play.

He is also a lousy singer, but again much better than me, even my cats cower when i sing along to the stereo.

I am not a musical person, my school music teacher would vouch for that but i enjoy the music of some musicians.

Nor so i profess to be a poet for more serious reasons i won't go onto at the moment for the sake of brevity and adherence to the theme of the thread

By the same token, i would suggest i am a far better visual artist than Dylan.

Horses for courses.

As do why I'm here, i enjoy the banter, i like good discission, and there are a few posters i can and do lean from, hopefully there are posters that find at least a few of my posts enlightening.
See you do have your art. We all have various gifts. That's all Paul really was saying. Art comes in all forms!!!!! Without art we become extinct, with art maybe we have hope! Peace and take my banter not as an attack on you but encouragement to be wierd!!! Lol.