• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blasphemy

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

You have to work on your quotation skills, I am afraid.

Ciao

- viole

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Here in the UK the medieval blasphemy laws were eventually scrapped in 2008, far too late in the day, imo.

I think one should be permitted to say exactly what one likes about any god, especially as they are more than likely human creations.
The concept of blasphemy doesn't exist in my religion. The gods don't need humans getting offended for them as they can take care of themselves. Hell, they even insult each other. It's probably funny to them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I believe Christianity being the largest faith in the world shows they do not have the same evidence for belief.
Excuse you, but it's not as if it were a fair competition as Christians, once gaining power, banned and persecuted followers of the old religions. Read the Theodosian Code. Paganism was banned under threat of death. They would also burn you at the stake for being gay. No such laws existed before Christianity gained power in the Empire. But now it is Christianity that is dying in the West and the old gods are making a comeback. Speaking of my own religion, there's a popular revival of it happening around the world, especially in Scandinavia, where they've dropped Christianity like a hot potato.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Common courtesy and decency should stop you speaking out to simply hurt another. The law on anything has never stopped people breaking them.

Bold of you to assert that I speak out simply to hurt others. I most certainly do not!

You don't have enough data to make that claim, and your conclusion about my stance is - not surprisingly - wrong.

Data or evidence? Your posts are evidence of your bias and the fact you argue about Blasphemy laws inhibiting your freedom of speech when simply saying you do not believe in God is an act
of Blasphemy shows you have no real argument or reason for saying it would impede your speech when you do it anyway.

Well we all have biases to struggle with. Even Daniel Kahneman, who basically won a Nobel Prize for his study of biases, has admitted that we all struggle with biases. But I will agree that I have a conclusion that religion does more harm than good these days.

What we're talking about is the possibility of creating Blasphemy laws. I agree that CURRENTLY it's legal for me to criticize religions - thank goodness for that! But there are some religious people who want to take that right to criticize away from us.

RESOLUTION

Excuse you, but it's not as if it were a fair competition as Christians, once gaining power, banned and persecuted followers of the old religions. Read the Theodosian Code. Paganism was banned under threat of death. They would also burn you at the stake for being gay. No such laws existed before Christianity gained power in the Empire. But now it is Christianity that is dying in the West and the old gods are making a comeback. Speaking of my own religion, there's a popular revival of it happening around the world, especially in Scandinavia, where they've dropped Christianity like a hot potato.
No one more persecuted than the Jews or the Christians in history . FACT. Even today Christians are killed for their faith.
Do you want to go back and redefine what you were thinking. 6 million jews killed in the second world war. MAN alone responsible for anyone being killed for any reason be it religious or pagan.
Evil cannot do it alone mankind are the ones responsible for the killing of all for beliefs,.

RESOLUTION

Because the false beliefs have affected all.
You mean atheists and people like yourself have killed people in past times because you did not agree with them? That is the truth... you cannot blame the peoples beliefs who were killed because people without faith like yourself wanted them put to death,

JJ50

No one more persecuted than the Jews or the Christians in history . FACT. Even today Christians are killed for their faith.
Do you want to go back and redefine what you were thinking. 6 million jews killed in the second world war. MAN alone responsible for anyone being killed for any reason be it religious or pagan.
Evil cannot do it alone mankind are the ones responsible for the killing of all for beliefs,.
The Holocaust was a terrible event in the very long history of this planet. As well as Jews, homosexuals and people who were not Caucasians were also killed.:mad::mad:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Whilst you just have to work on presenting logical arguments and not running away when they fail you.

I am not running away: it is impossible to address your rebuttal, since it is completely messed up. Unless you repair it with proper quoting.

Ciao

- viole

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I would say being wiped out physically and culturally (ask the Taino and native Tasmanians, for a start - but you can't since they don't exist anymore) counts as being "more persecuted" than Christian's and Jews, but both have a victimhood complex so they'll never want to relinquish that title.

RESOLUTION

The Holocaust was a terrible event in the very long history of this planet. As well as Jews, homosexuals and people who were not Caucasians were also killed.:mad::mad:
As well as the disabled people whatever their race, nationality or religion. Still mans fault.

JJ50

As well as the disabled people whatever their race, nationality or religion. Still mans fault.
But ultimately the fault of the Biblical god if it created evil, as it supposedly created everything, in the view of Biblical literalists.

RESOLUTION

I would say being wiped out physically and culturally (ask the Taino and native Tasmanians, for a start - but you can't since they don't exist anymore) counts as being "more persecuted" than Christian's and Jews, but both have a victimhood complex so they'll never want to relinquish that title.
The original inhabitants of Australia are not extinct. I suppose you are now going for race rather than religion. However, the Jew and the Christian have no complex and it isn't anything to do with the thread is it? Try and keep on track as no one committing blasphemy regarding extinct races.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Here in the UK the medieval blasphemy laws were eventually scrapped in 2008, far too late in the day, imo.

I think one should be permitted to say exactly what one likes about any god, especially as they are more than likely human creations.

I believe you also can rape, murder and steal but be sure your sins will find you out. If not by the law or by God by your fellow man.