• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black metal and the LHP

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
"Satan personifies Wisdom through Adversity. Luciferianism is the obliteration of light and dark (dualism) and the realization that Darkness is the womb that enables Light. When you find these principles in music then you have found Satanic & Luciferian music. That said, I find improvised musics to be way more Satanic and Luciferian than anything else as they provide the above requirements, as well as freedom of expression. Listening to a master improviser, you hear virtuosity (mastery of craft) combined with true creation (mastery of self). Identifying with the rebellious 'sound' and angst of metal bands is not necessarily Satanic in my opinion." - from 'Liber Alchimia Sonus'

Adept

I can't stand black metal. Even their concepts are more pseudo-satanic than "LHP". Too subjective and too loosely defined to really discuss though.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I listen to it sometimes. It's good for blasphemy, but the Satanism found in it is usually of the cartoonish sort, like Slayer (HUGE Slayer fan, by the way). I much prefer death metal, personally.

I'd say that classical music, choral music and opera is more "authentically" Satanic if you take Satan as the Muse of beautiful art. For beauty in black metal, I go with ambient bm bands like Wolves in the Throne Room or epic bm like Caladan Brood,

Last edited:

sacredmeow

Light Seeker.
I like some black metal, but it is not a spiritual music for me. In fact, based on the theatrics and press time a lot of these bands get, they really perpetuate the negative stereotypes of the LHP. That's marketing for you, though. Never you mind all the church burnings that took place in the beginning of thats scene.

A step aside, I would like to mention that for CoS affiliates, King Diamond, behind the make-up and theatrics, is a pretty good, well-spoken ambassador for that community. I've seen some of his interviews and he is very intelligent and articulate.

Personally, when I would like music for getting into the headspace for a ritual, I like classical and a lot of ethnic music. Indian classical music, Scandinavian folk revival, Dead Can Dance... more organic sounds. Carnatic singers are magical.

All black metal puts me in the mood for is driving really fast, with my windows down, in winter. It makes me feel like a little suburban valkyrie.

sacredmeow

Light Seeker.
I take it no one liked my joke.

Slow weekend. :)

The problem with that, from a more literal stand-point, is the people that black metal might actually attract. It doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture of what the faith is really about. The people attracted to that violence and gore are not people I necessarily want to associate with socially.

This guy likes heavy metal. He used it to get ready for his "rituals."
Ramirez.gif

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Slow weekend. :)

The problem with that, from a more literal stand-point, is the people that black metal might actually attract. It doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture of what the faith is really about. The people attracted to that violence and gore are not people I necessarily want to associate with socially.

This guy likes heavy metal. He used it to get ready for his "rituals."
Ramirez.gif

Meh. I like extremely gory, violent and brutal music, books, movies, video games, etc. The "violent media causes real world violence" doesn't have evidence to back it up. I also go on sites like Best Gore and watch things like Traces of Death (which is entirely real). But I'm actually a pretty nice guy as long as you're nice in return (and don't annoy me :p ). I don't want to kill people and I don't like suffering.

There was no black metal that Ramirez listened to. He liked songs like AC/DC's Highway to Hell. Hardly an extreme song. :rolleyes: Ramirez is just an extremely disturbed individual with a low IQ (I'm guessing because he comes off as borderline mentally retarded in interviews). He experienced serious head injuries as a child, was physically abused by a violent father, had seizures and was influenced by a psychopathic older brother who would regale him of tales of raping and murdering women while he was deployed in Vietnam and would also show him gory, graphic pictures he took of his acts. His brother later murdered his wife and Richard saw it, when Richard was 13. They "bonded" over those things. So we can't blame violent media for what he ended up doing. He was screwed from a very early age.

Last edited:

corpusedimus

Ave Satanas
I'm a huge fan of Black Metal, i.e. Darkthrone; Mayhem; Burzum; etc. However, my brand of Satanism, i.e. of the LaVeyan persuasion, does not align itself with this style of music or its teachings in the lyrical sense. However, this does not negate my love for the taboo and unconventional side of life, and the dark aesthetic that goes with Black Metal is quite satisfying.

Unbound Origin

Luciferian
I like a lot of black metal and although I'm very particular about what I like, it does speak to me and like all music should to the subjective ear, it must take you somewhere. A lot of black metal is a transcendental experience! I could never claim to be a pure metalhead though - I like lots of classical music, a bit of dance and British folk but that's kind of the point. It brings a balance in its aggression and extremity to these other musical tastes and yet some of the best in my view is also very beautiful in its own right.

I think the genre has moved on from its initial origins; that much is obvious but there are a great many newer outfits combining lighter, atmospheric aspects alongside the crushing riffs and uncompromising vocals. As with all good classical music, there is required that juxtaposition between light and dark, beauty and ugliness, pomp and serenity. This balance is everything and speaks to me a lot more than the earlier work and very one-dimensional brutality of bands like Mayhem, although their legendary status I would not deny.

My favourites of the genre are Negura Bunget (Rumania), Helrunar, Lunar Aurora (both from Germany), Wodensthrone (UK) and more recently, Autumn's Kingdom (from Russia).

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Interesting how so many psychologically associate this type of metal to the left-hand path.
To me the left-hand path is about Liberation, self-deification, carnal mastery, and individuation. The music that does this for me is a pure improvisation.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Interesting how so many psychologically associate this type of metal to the left-hand path.
To me the left-hand path is about Liberation, self-deification, carnal mastery, and individuation. The music that does this for me is a pure improvisation.

Well, speaking for why Satanists like black metal, it's because it's one of the only genres of music that tends to be focused on heavily Satanic and occult themes. You kinda have to take it where you can get it.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Well, speaking for why Satanists like black metal, it's because it's one of the only genres of music that tends to be focused on heavily Satanic and occult themes. You kinda have to take it where you can get it.
Isn't it more about how some Satanists equate Satanism with all this dark, devil, horns, rebelliousness stuff? Older Satanists, before any Metal existed, equated it with classical music, usually centered on Harmonic Minor flavors or demented Carnival music.

Personally, I equate Satanic music with freedom & mastery of the carnal self. So, virtuosic improvisational music is my choice.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Isn't it more about how some Satanists equate Satanism with all this dark, devil, horns, rebelliousness stuff? Older Satanists, before any Metal existed, equated it with classical music, usually centered on Harmonic Minor flavors or demented Carnival music.

Metal, at least certain forms of it, isn't much different from classical music, imo. But what I mean is, it's one of the few forms of music that has an overly Satanic theme. The only other genres that have Satanic themes at times are death metal, thrash metal, doom metal and horrorcore. "All this dark, devil, horns, rebelliousness stuff" is a large part of Satanism to many people. We like the Dark, we like the Devil, we like horns and we like rebellion. :shrug:

Personally, I equate Satanic music with freedom & mastery of the carnal self. So, virtuosic improvisational music is my choice.
That's cool. I never liked inprov music. Give me Behemoth and Dissection any day.

Yadon

But that stuff doesn't talk about Satan.

However this has an orchestra and does talk about Satan:

[youtube]9LCdsspCWFg[/youtube]
Dimmu Borgir - Eradication Instincts Defined (HQ Audio) - YouTube

It is also wickedly awesome metal. Though I kind of feel like I've heard that intro somewhere else before. Either way that band is known for mixing the typical "satanic" genres of metal with actual classical elements, in some criticisms of the band they actually say that the guitar is demoted to a supporting instrument of the orchestra as if it's a bad thing!