• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black metal and the LHP

Shuddhasattva

You can be neither tr00, nor kvlt™, not br00tal, without a healthy helping of the screaming, bashing, clanging stuff.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The Black Metal Culture (as I like all metal, Black Metal is my least favorite unless it has some Death Metal elements within) is not in relation to LHP.

In the metal culture, everyone likes to be in places that nobody wants to go, so they use symbols that metaphorically frighten people; pentagrams, satan, darkness, death, destruction, fire, etc.

This is not to be taken literally. In the same way not all country singers are farmers

apophenia

Some prefer it to the sound of the refrigerator when tripping.

Personally, I can't usually differentiate, unless it's poor quality.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I'm not a big fan of death metal, but there is just something about black metal that calls to me and inspires the black flame within me. The dark dragging melodies of the band Dark Funeral, the minor triad chords and fast tremolo picking of the guitars, the speeding and thundering drums, the variation of the screaming vocals of which E.M. Caligula (ret.) of DF was the master, simply cries out to the very core of my black heart. Although classical music is my favorite, black metal is a close second. It's relation to the LHP is because of it's Satanic imagery and lyrical subject matter. Bands like Dimmu Borgir and Naglfar are also a couple of other good examples of the best in black metal.

[youtube]kKITiy8RwAs[/youtube]
dark funeral ravenna strigoi mortii live tilburg 05 03 06 dvdrip x264 2007 mtsv int - YouTube

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Informare

Setian I°
I agree with most of the previous posts. There is no specific "role of black metal in LHP." However, it does brining up two very important points.
The first is that in LHP, music and other forms of art can be hugely important. They are works of the individual expressing his psyche through a learned skill that the artist alone possesses. These works can also effect great change on those who experience them, so they are very magical acts of the self.
Secondly, like Adramelek, I find black metal very inspiring and magnetic, especially now that I have dug deeper into LHP thought. I'm somewhat of a musicologist, and the origins of black metal are very LHP in their motivations. It was people who literally created something brand new as an expression of self, with no desire to conform to any other standard. Plus, I find the atmospheric and raw sonorities very condusive to deep thought.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What is the role of black metal and music in general in LHP religions?

Inspiration of course!

It is the mindset and the feeling of power, and the energy of everyone around you. Metal is probably the most intense genre of music out there, Brian Posehn does a stand up bit about it.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Black metal is the thundering of the storm... Like anything there are scene kids and disciples of the path... One hears the rumbling and learns the way, another hears it and goes back to whatever it is they were doing before the music. Those whom have walked the path know what I do -- there is no way back to 'normal' once you have taken the first step down the road. You would merely be pretending at that junction, and you'd know it. Everything changes for you once you embrace it and stop fighting your nature the black flame engulfs everything in your life. Some black metal stinks just like anything else... Personally, my favorites remain: Dissection, Watain, Dark Funeral, Immortal, Bathory, Lord Belial, and Venom. Start with those before critiquing -- BM has never been excessively mainstream and generally is under-produced, but the lyrics and atmosphere are generally amazing. I attempt to listen to other types of music, and other for want of past memories I find modern music meaningless and hollow for the most part. If music doesn't resonate with ones essence it is pure garbage regardless of what it is called. I rather listen to nothing most of the time if it isn't some form of extreme metal these days. :)

[youtube]8c3L0bqUnao[/youtube]

jasonwill2

I'm on the fence about Black Metal. There isn't enough legit and explicitly LHP/Satanic bands out there for me to be convinced how real the connection really is. Though in some ways it's better than the HorrorCore (rap) Satanic stuff I've heard. With some of the horrorcore I can tell they know of the real deal.

An example would be the owner of Serial Killin' records, SickTanick. He mentions Alister Crowley, Anton LaVey, and he has a recording of Crowley, parts of Satanic rituals in his songs, one song that essentially quotes an invocation to destruction, and mentions of other ideas that he had to of at least read some stuff up on about it. But it's also filled with stereotyped blood stuff and violence and genocidal rants about how evil Christians are.

As for Black Metal, I got a few bands on my MP3 but even like Dimmu Borgir is not explict enough. I know that Archeon was founded by a CoS member and seems really legit, but the generalness of those types of band is kind of disappointing for me as I essentially want songs that can express not just the emotion, but some type of philosphy behind it. Generally I have noticed that Metal is not the best platform for this, and it can take a whole song to express an idea such as "the war in Iraq is terrible and was for Bush's gain", where-as in rap you can express that in two or three lines. I think it's just how the lyrics of the genres are built, but meh.

Anyway I don't think that there is implied to be a link between LHP and Black Metal, but there is a very strong overlay. But hell, there is even "white metal" bands that are Christian but try to use Black Metal sounds. An example of that would be Demon Slayer after they left the Nu-Metal genre.

Personally though, a rap-metal or alternative metal mix for a Satanic band would be my dream idea of a band. Best of both worlds. Then again I like alternative metal/rock that experiments with other elements. Incoherent rants are a bonus too. Otep and System of a Down being two examples of the kind of style I am talking about.

But again, while there is a very strong overlay between Black Metal and Satanic themes, I don't think that most "Satanic" Black Metal bands really know anything about Satanism or even the LHP.

Informare

Setian I°
I think you should look into bands such as Wotain, Taake, Absu, Arckanum, Dissection. They are all quite well-versed in the LHP, mostly of the chaos magic variety.

jasonwill2

I think you should look into bands such as Wotain, Taake, Absu, Arckanum, Dissection. They are all quite well-versed in the LHP, mostly of the chaos magic variety.

Never heard of any of them before, but will check them out. Not a chaos magician though, I think a number of chaos magicians are atheists if I understand correctly.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Dimmu Borgir is pretty explicit if I might add, considering Shagrath and Silenoz are kind of like a James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich. They've been in the game for quit a while now.

Other than that, most Black Metal I hear is underground, bad recordings and sound. The finer tune one's can be iffy, I was never a fan of Cradle of Filth, probably because Danny Filth sounds like a little girl. But ne-wayz, bands like Behemoth is also pretty explicit, though they aren't necessarily "black metal".

I personally prefer "melodic death metal", bands like Amon Amarth, Be'Lakor, and At the Gates. I also listen to Through the Eyes of the Dead and Rose Funeral, which in those genres is difficult for me to find something listenable.

jasonwill2

Oh, I know that Dimmu Borgir is Satanic. No doubt, but I would like to hear more lyrics in each song in general and hear Satan by title a bit' more too.

Though I only have their Darkness Enthrone Triumphant album.

jasonwill2

One of the Taake's members has a Saint Peter's cross in this video... fail.

Mollie

Spiritual Moth
What is the role of black metal and music in general in LHP religions?

Most of the black metal performers are atheistic satanists (except Øystein Aarseth, who is a theistic satanist). I used to think I'm satanist as well, but then I realized black metal is not only about satanism, it is also about death, emotions, winter etc.