• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birds

Hope

Princesinha
I saw the creepiest thing today, that made me think I was in one of Alfred Hitchcock's classic movies. A huge swarm of blackbirds, thousands upon thousands and resembling a large black cloud, descended upon our yard this morning. I have never in my life seen anything like it. It was simply eerie. They made a horrible racket with all their screeching, and when they lifted off into the air together, or changed direction in midair, the sound of their thousands of wings beating the air became a loud roar----so loud it almost sounded like an airplane's thrusters going in reverse.

Has anyone else witnessed anything like this? Or have any explanation as to what causes birds to congregate in such masses and fly around like they're completely loco?? :confused:

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
It's probably a part of their migration (depending on where you live) or a part of their wintering behavior. A lot of birds flock up as a defense mechanism, more eyes to see the danger that a few pair may not see. I believe that they call to each other to keep the flock in formation through all the twists and turns..

It can be very frightening--like you said very Hitchcock.
I think they congregate waiting for some internal something to tell them --ok now we migrate.
Surely someone with some real bird knowledge is about who can give a good answer.
The blackbirds in many places who congregate like this will also resist any attempts to dislodge them- many communities have tried different ways of un-welcoming them but they seem to be drawn to certain areas and it is almost like the area is hardwired into their brain so they can not do otherwise.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I once saw a whole flock of green parrots at my daughter's school. They made a very loud noise and eventually they all took off. At the time, I thought it was kind of freaky, as I had never seen anything like it.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I saw the creepiest thing today, that made me think I was in one of Alfred Hitchcock's classic movies. A huge swarm of blackbirds, thousands upon thousands and resembling a large black cloud, descended upon our yard this morning. I have never in my life seen anything like it. It was simply eerie. They made a horrible racket with all their screeching, and when they lifted off into the air together, or changed direction in midair, the sound of their thousands of wings beating the air became a loud roar----so loud it almost sounded like an airplane's thrusters going in reverse.

Has anyone else witnessed anything like this? Or have any explanation as to what causes birds to congregate in such masses and fly around like they're completely loco?? :confused:

That ever happens again, just clap and they'll fly away.

blackout

Violet.
My 15 year old and I saw quite a wonderful sight yesterday afternoon in the car,
and woefully lamented that we did not have a camera.

There was this beautiful eiry twisted tree...
no leaves... branches all bent in a halloween whimsy...
and right there at the top...
one lone "twig" sticking straight up
and a crow sitting there proudly peaked/perched ...
like the crowning ornament of a xmass tree.

We watched it for a good minute stopped at the traffic light
before it finally took flight.
It was so "Poe".

My daughter takes a liking to crows (and ravens).
I think it made her day.
She also reminded me of a day when a flock of crows
filled our yard "black".
She is the one who saw that...
she loved every minute of it.

kadzbiz

You should come to our house one day on a hot summer's day. Our garage (or "carhold" as Moe calls it) which is open on one side attracts flies because it's a little cooler than anywhere else outside. When you go to your car, it's like hell has come alive all around you. Having bubb's soiled nappies in the rubbish bin nearby probably doesn't help.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Our Waxwings are quite a sight --very social birds that move in large flocks in the winter. They can descend on a Mountain Ash tree and pick it clean of berries in a day.

Didn't Sai King also write a book about masses of birds--- The Dark Half comes to mind and weren't they starlings as well?

lizskid

BANNED
Isn't that weird when stuff like that happens...unsettling. The times that I have felt like the Hitchcock movie were when we had a house at Martha's Vineyard and had to take our trash to the landfill. The place was FULL of seagulls, looking for a meal, and they would watch you walk from your car to the dump spot and all the way back,then pounce on your trash bag!:eek:

Around here, though, we are on the migration path of Sandhill Cranes, and there are times in the fall, when they are going to their night spot (a damp field) by the 10s of thousands, the sky is full of screeching, and nearly black. It is pretty cool!