• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Love

Nanda

Polyanna
The HBO original series "Big Love" recently started it's second season - we're about 2 episodes in. Anybody watch it? Like it? Comments?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The HBO original series "Big Love" recently started it's second season - we're about 2 episodes in. Anybody watch it? Like it? Comments?
Okay, I suspect all of the LDS are going to die of shock to hear me say this, but "Big Love" is my favorite show. I LOVE IT! The story lines are excellent and the casting simply could not be better.

Nanda

Polyanna
Okay, I suspect all of the LDS are going to die of shock to hear me say this, but "Big Love" is my favorite show. I LOVE IT! The story lines are excellent and the casting simply could not be better.

Yay, another fan! I may be naive, but I don't see why LDS should hate "Big Love"... They make it very, very obvious that this is not how the LDS live.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yay, another fan! I may be naive, but I don't see why LDS should hate "Big Love"... They make it very, very obvious that this is not how the LDS live.
To be perfectly honest, I have a feeling that not that many of them have even watched it. When it first came out, there was such a big fuss over it and people (including me) were concerned that everyone was just going to assume that these "polygs" were LDS. After watching a couple of episodes, more out of curiosity than anything else, it was clear to me that the opposite was true. They go out of their way to make it clear that these people are NOT LDS. After about three episodes, I was hooked. I went through major withdrawals between season 1 and 2! :D

Nanda

Polyanna
Favorite characters? I like Ben. He's just so... Gah! Innocent and adorable. I love him.

My husband loves Niki. Given my occasionally caustic personality, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised... :rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Favorite characters? I like Ben. He's just so... Gah! Innocent and adorable. I love him.

My husband loves Niki. Given my occasionally caustic personality, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised... :rolleyes:
Yeah, Ben is a regular cutie. Roman is the perfect fundie prophet. They could not have cast him better. I like Nikki, too. The actress who plays her (Chloe somebody-or-other) reminds me of me (in appearance) when I was twenty years younger. By the way, the way Nikki dresses (especially when she really overdoes it) and the way she wears her hair is very, very typical of the way most polgys in and around Salt Lake look. Some of them shop in the supermarket where I do, and they stick out like a sore thumb.

Nanda

Polyanna
So what do you think, Nanda? Is Bill going to want to take a fourth wife (Ana)?

I hope not. Bill's getting too greedy in almost all aspects of his life; he's already driven far too much by money and revenge, and it's going to be his downfall, I think. So yeah, I don't think so. He may attempt it, but ultimately, I think it'll probably blow up in his face. In fact, I think EVERYTHING is going to blow up in his face before too much longer. And that's really too bad. :(

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In fact, I think EVERYTHING is going to blow up in his face before too much longer. And that's really too bad. :(
Well, I just hope it takes a good long time for his life to unravel. I'm loving the suspense. I've also been wondering what Margie is going to tell her nosy, self-righteous neighbor when she decides to keep the baby she's supposedly the surrogate mother to. :D She obviously didn't think through her explanation very well.

Nanda

Polyanna
I've also been wondering what Margie is going to tell her nosy, self-righteous neighbor when she decides to keep the baby she's supposedly the surrogate mother to.

Me too! You know, I have a theory about that. I think the reason her neighbor (Pat?) was so upset is because she and her husband are a childless couple, and I bet she was taken aback by Margie's decision to have a baby for a complete stranger, when he good friend was going through the same ordeal. And if that is the case, it could be really messy if she decides to ask Margie to have a baby for them! :faint:

Also, and I'm just throwing this out here, I HATE Rhonda!!!!
(My husband swears he's picking up a lesbian vibe from Heather, Sarah's LDS friend, and he thinks something might go on between her and Rhonda. Since I really dislike both of these characters, I really, really hope not.)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Me too! You know, I have a theory about that. I think the reason her neighbor (Pat?) was so upset is because she and her husband are a childless couple, and I bet she was taken aback by Margie's decision to have a baby for a complete stranger, when he good friend was going through the same ordeal. And if that is the case, it could be really messy if she decides to ask Margie to have a baby for them! :faint:
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I doubt she's ever ask Margie to have a baby for her. I got the impression she was seriously revolted by the idea. She's pretty judgmental.

Also, and I'm just throwing this out here, I HATE Rhonda!!!!
Who doesn't? Considering the kind of background she came from, I'm amazed at what a spoiled brat she is.

(My husband swears he's picking up a lesbian vibe from Heather, Sarah's LDS friend, and he thinks something might go on between her and Rhonda. Since I really dislike both of these characters, I really, really hope not.)
LOL! Heather really bugs me, but I don't think she's a lesbian. I could be wrong, though. That show comes up with some really interesting twists.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm a fan, too, although I'm not familiar with the names as much as you two. :D

The show really surprised me. I didn't think it was going to be as good of a storyline as it actually has evolved into.

Peace,
Mystic

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The show really surprised me. I didn't think it was going to be as good of a storyline as it actually has evolved into.
It surprised me, too. I actually don't even have HBO, but like most LDS, I was pretty much opposed to it when I first heard about it. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I rented the first three episodes from Netflix. Bam! I was hooked. I ended up renting the rest of the first season, and now I go over to my daughter's place every Monday to watch it with her. The storylines are great, the acting is excellent, and there is absolutely no way these people could be mistaken for LDS. If I had any complaint at all about it, it would be that most of the LDS who are portrayed in it are portrayed in a kind of negative way -- very judgmental, trying to convert everyone they meet, etc. The polygs in the show are supposed to be living perhaps within five or six miles from where I do, so I know what LDS people around here are like, and they're not the the ones in the show. Other than that, I think the show is great.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My husband swears he's picking up a lesbian vibe from Heather, Sarah's LDS friend.
Oh, my gosh! It looks like he might be right! What on earth was it that gave him that impression? It didn't even occur to me, but that's what it's starting to look like.

Nanda

Polyanna
Oh, my gosh! It looks like he might be right! What on earth was it that gave him that impression? It didn't even occur to me, but that's what it's starting to look like.

Just a vibe. A few of our closest friends are lesbians. It's the way she words things, mostly, how attentive (and at times, bordering on possessive) she can be with Sarah, and the things that seem to upset her about Sarah, like the boyfriend. It all seems very familiar.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Rhonda? I forgot to mention that I hate Frank even more. :fork:

Nanda

Polyanna
You know, I have a theory about that. I think the reason her neighbor (Pat?) was so upset is because she and her husband are a childless couple, and I bet she was taken aback by Margie's decision to have a baby for a complete stranger, when he good friend was going through the same ordeal. And if that is the case, it could be really messy if she decides to ask Margie to have a baby for them!

Woo! So totally called that one, too! : hamster :

Nanda

Polyanna
Damn! You're good! I never thought in a million years that that would happen!

Unfortunately, I have no other theories at this time. Except for the fact that I'm almost 100% certain that the only reason Ben's dating the twins is to upset Barb, but I think that one's pretty obvious, so it doesn't count. How about Wanda reaching for the Comet while she was powdering the top of that cake, eh? The minute I saw her sifting the sugar I said to my husband "Oh man, is that sugar or arsenic?!" and then she reached for the Comet! :biglaugh: Cripes...

I am frightened of the next episode.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Unfortunately, I have no other theories at this time. Except for the fact that I'm almost 100% certain that the only reason Ben's dating the twins is to upset Barb, but I think that one's pretty obvious, so it doesn't count.
Yeah, I thought it was obvious, too, but my daughter didn't and she usually picks up on stuff I miss. Those twins are too much. Once again, the casting director is a simply a genius.

How about Wanda reaching for the Comet while she was powdering the top of that cake, eh? The minute I saw her sifting the sugar I said to my husband "Oh man, is that sugar or arsenic?!" and then she reached for the Comet! :biglaugh: Cripes...
I know. I totally thought she was going to do it.

I am frightened of the next episode.
It's going to be great, though. Do you think they'll be writing Roman out of the series or do you think he's going to live? I'm almost dreading next week. I don't know if I can handle the withdrawls! :D

Nanda

Polyanna
Do you think they'll be writing Roman out of the series or do you think he's going to live?

It looked like Bill was attacking him! I have no idea. HBO does not shy away from killing off major characters at all (in fact, they usually kill off my favorite character in any given series) so it's entirely possible.