• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden's Proposal To Pause Federal Fuel Tax

Is suspension of federal fuel tax a good idea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heyo

Veteran Member
There is an advantage in allocation by price.
Those of greater economic value can afford it.
It's not perfect.
I'd fully agree if it was a long term question. Subsidies, like we had for coal for decades, are useless. It's better to adapt to the market. E.g. by investing in EV infrastructure. That's a planned adaptation. Tax holidays are an ad hoc solution for an immediate problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd fully agree if it was a long term question. Subsidies, like we had for coal for decades, are useless. It's better to adapt to the market. E.g. by investing in EV infrastructure. That's a planned adaptation. Tax holidays are an ad hoc solution for an immediate problem.
Is it a solution?
Is it even part of a solution?
Not to the economic situation.
It's purely political pandering.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well let see, who was President when Russia invaded Crimea, who was President when Russia invaded Ukraine?
See a little correlation here maybe?
Biden isn't the President of my country. Or of England. Or France. Or anywhere else in the world where gas prices are astronomically high. So, how is it Biden's fault, exactly?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FWIW:
"The average price for gas in Ontario on Wednesday is 200.4 per litre, down from Tuesday’s average of 200.9, but up from last month’s average of 200.2 and last year’s average of 129.4 per litre, according to the CAA." [source]​
My math could be we wrong, but I believe 200.4/liter is roughly $5.84/gal.

U.S. average prices for this year and last can be found here.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
He proposed that but refused to open the Canadian US pipeline.

He keep the true colors well under the hood of which his real objective is that he wants to keep fuel higher still while trying to appear sensitive and responsive to the common person as far as I'm concerned.
You mean the Keystone Pipeline that Canadians don't want?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
FWIW:
"The average price for gas in Ontario on Wednesday is 200.4 per litre, down from Tuesday’s average of 200.9, but up from last month’s average of 200.2 and last year’s average of 129.4 per litre, according to the CAA." [source]​
My math could be we wrong, but I believe 200.4/liter is roughly $5.84/gal.

U.S. average prices for this year and last can be found here.
I saw $1.89 yesterday and was ashamed of myself for being excited about it.:D:oops:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In this article, it isn't clear just what she's advocating,
other than opposing the gas tax abatement. Her
criticism of "price gouging" hints at wanting lower
prices thru exercising greater control over producers.
I find high prices good for conservation.
That's fair.

I find high prices good for conservation.
I find that conserving what one spends on driving to, from, and/or for work has quality-of-life consequences not shared by oil executives.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's fair.

I find that conserving what one spends on driving to, from, and/or for work has quality-of-life consequences not shared by oil executives.
I'll bet they don't relish commutes either.

I wish that my travel schedules allowed giving rides
to others. Alas, no one wants to endure them.
Years ago, I'd ferry many to engine shows.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
We're heading to Stratford, Ontario, in August. I've already mapped out the half-hour drive from our hotel to the Waterloo Costco some 38 km to the east.
Oh cool I love Stratford. It's about 90 km away from where I am (just outside Toronto). That trip would cost me a fortune.
I hope you have a fun (and affordable) trip!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Oh cool I love Stratford. It's about 90 km away from where I am (just outside Toronto). That trip would cost me a fortune.
I hope you have a fun (and affordable) trip!
Thanks. We'll be there for a week to see a number of plays, and we're very much looking forward to seeing the new Patterson Theatre. We're also planning an afternoon at Vineland Estates Winery (which is much closer to you). And, yes, it's likely to be a somewhat expensive week. :)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thanks. We'll be there for a week to see a number of plays, and we're very much looking forward to seeing the new Patterson Theatre. We're also planning an afternoon at Vineland Estates Winery (which is much closer to you). And, yes, it's likely to be a somewhat expensive week. :)
Yep, Vineland Estates is just up the road a little. Small world, eh! I was there with my mother a couple of years ago for a tasting tour, just before COVID shut everything down. She's a big wine lover.

I haven't seen the new theatre yet either but I'm hoping to get out there some time this summer. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!