• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Mary!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Given the scripture description of Mary and how the Roman Church (RCC) carries this description further Mary, becomes a Goddess consort of God as Asherah is the Goddess consort of YHWH in ancient Judaism before 600 BCE. Judaism went from a polytheist hierarchal religion to monotheistic after 600 BCE with the compilation of the Pentateuch, and Christianity has became a polytheistic hierarchal religion withe The Trinity and Mary with the Hellenist Roman compilation of the Bible.

Anne1

Veneration of Mary started very early, based on this evidence:

Catacombs - paintings veneration of Mary as early as end of first century

Protoevangelium of James - about 150 AD pious work about Mary's life

Justin Martyr - celebrates Mary as virgin and mother about 155 AD

Sub Tuum Praesidium - prayer to Mary about 250 AD

Anne1

C
In pure monotheism yes, but contemporary Christianity, especially the Roman Church has become polvtheist with a hierarchy of Gods.

Sorry, but this is very wrong. There is no hierarchy of Gods in the Catholic church. Only one God. And thousands upon thousands have died for this truth.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
C

Sorry, but this is very wrong. There is no hierarchy of Gods in the Catholic church. Only one God. And thousands upon thousands have died for this truth.
God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost, and of courd the Goddess Mary Queen of Heaven, and the Mother of God.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Biblical Mary:

Mother of God Lk 1:43

Immaculate conception (sinless) gen 3:15 enmity or total war none of satans works are found in Mary
Also Lk 1:28 full of grace lk 1:49 great things plural (immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus)

Lk 1:30 found favor with God (the salvation lost by Adam) mother of our salvation Lk 2:30

Perpetual Virgin Isa 7:14 matt 1:21
Lk 1:31-34

Mary is the virgin mother of two of the five models of Jesus in the NT, those of Matthew and of Luke.

Mark's Jesus is not the son of God at all until God adopts him as [his] son following his baptism by JtB (on the model of Psalms 2:7, as affirmed by Acts 13:33).

The Jesuses of Paul and of John pre-existed in heaven with God and created the material universe (whatever Genesis might say to the contrary). Their parents are never mentioned, and the only clue we have regarding them is the assertion that those Jesuses are descended from David, meaning that they each had an earthly father. (The Jesuses of Matthew and Luke are also said to be descended from David, but the not-credible and irreconcilable genealogies purporting to show this are for Joseph, who is categorically NOT the father of those Jesuses. Mark's Jesus, on the other hand, is not descended from David and says that you don't have to be.)

Jesus is uniformly aggressive and snarly towards his mother in all four gospels ─

Mark 3​
31 And his mother and his brothers came; and standing outside they sent to him and called him. 32 And a crowd was sitting about him; and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, asking for you.” 33 And he replied, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” 34 And looking around on those who sat about him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother.”​
Mark 6​
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him. 4 And Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.” 5 And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands upon a few sick people and healed them. 6 And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching.​
Matthew 10​
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s foes will be those of his own household. 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.​
Luke 11​
27 As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!” 28 But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”​
John 2​
3 When the wine failed, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “O woman, what have you to do with me? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”​

The sole exception is in John at the crucifixion scene, where John's Jesus, unlike the others, is Master of Ceremonies, in which role he arranges for the Beloved Disciple to look after her (John 19:26).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost, and of courd the Goddess Mary Queen of Heaven, and the Mother of God.

es·sence
[ˈes(ə)ns]
noun

1. the intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, that determines its character:
    "conflict is the essence of drama"

• philosophy
      a property or group of properties of something without which it would not exist or be what it is.

jimb

Premium Member

There is a tripartite God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Mary was just a teenage Jew who was chosen to give birth to Jesus Christ. She is not a goddess or a queen of heaven.

jimb

Premium Member
Mary is the virgin mother of two of the five models of Jesus in the NT, those of Matthew and of Luke.

Mark's Jesus is not the son of God at all until God adopts him as [his] son following his baptism by JtB (on the model of Psalms 2:7, as affirmed by Acts 13:33).

The Jesuses of Paul and of John pre-existed in heaven with God and created the material universe (whatever Genesis might say to the contrary). Their parents are never mentioned, and the only clue we have regarding them is the assertion that those Jesuses are descended from David, meaning that they each had an earthly father. (The Jesuses of Matthew and Luke are also said to be descended from David, but the not-credible and irreconcilable genealogies purporting to show this are for Joseph, who is categorically NOT the father of those Jesuses. Mark's Jesus, on the other hand, is not descended from David and says that you don't have to be.)

Jesus is uniformly aggressive and snarly towards his mother in all four gospels ─

Mark 3​
31 And his mother and his brothers came; and standing outside they sent to him and called him. 32 And a crowd was sitting about him; and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, asking for you.” 33 And he replied, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” 34 And looking around on those who sat about him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother.”​
Mark 6​
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him. 4 And Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.” 5 And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands upon a few sick people and healed them. 6 And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching.​
Matthew 10​
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s foes will be those of his own household. 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.​
Luke 11​
27 As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!” 28 But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”​
John 2​
3 When the wine failed, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “O woman, what have you to do with me? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”​

The sole exception is in John at the crucifixion scene, where John's Jesus, unlike the others, is Master of Ceremonies, in which role he arranges for the Beloved Disciple to look after her (John 19:26).

And Mary was not the ideal mother either. She lost track of her young son for several days after leaving Jerusalem.

Anne1

In Christianity, there is one God. There is no "hierarchy of Gods".
St Paul, in the first documents of Christianity, wrote that Jesus was God and the equal of the Father. This was about 10 years after the crucifixion. What Christianity are you suggesting existed between St.Paul and the crucifixion, and where are the documents?

jimb

Premium Member
St Paul, in the first documents of Christianity, wrote that Jesus was God and the equal of the Father. This was about 10 years after the crucifixion. What Christianity are you suggesting existed between St.Paul and the crucifixion, and where are the documents?

I have no idea what you're talking about. There has been, and always will be, only one Christianity.

Tomef

Biblical Mary:

Mother of God Lk 1:43

Immaculate conception (sinless) gen 3:15 enmity or total war none of satans works are found in Mary
Also Lk 1:28 full of grace lk 1:49 great things plural (immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus)

Lk 1:30 found favor with God (the salvation lost by Adam) mother of our salvation Lk 2:30

Perpetual Virgin Isa 7:14 matt 1:21
Lk 1:31-34

Behold thy mother!

John 19:26-27
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith has he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus is not asking John to care for His Mary, if so He would have said so, he is not even speaking to John, scripture says He is addressing the disciple, therefore it applies to all disciples.

Jesus is making Mary spiritual mother to all disciples! And all disciples take Her into thier home, And if the apostle John needs a spiritual mother so do we!

What is the family of God without a mother? The mother is the heart of the family! Jesus said I will not leave you orphans! Jn 14:18 He gave Mary to be the mother of one disciple then He does so for all disciples!

As eve was the mother of all the living in the first creation, gen 3:20 so Mary is the mother of all those who live in Christ and the new creation! Behold, I make all things new!

Rev 12:17 our spiritual mother!

Rachel is spiritual mother of Israel!
A type of Mary as spiritual mother of Christians!

The 12 sons of Jacob have 4 biological mothers, but Rachel is the spiritual mother of all Israel!

Matt 2:18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are no more.

Blessed Mary ever Virgin mother of God!

Elizabeth filled with the Holy Spirit!

Lk 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

John sanctified in the womb!

Lk 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Lk 1:44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

Zacharias is filled with the Holy Spirit and prophecy!

Lk 1:67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,

The wedding couple have wine and not shame!

Jn 2: 10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

The disciples are supplied with faith, hope, and charity!

11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

All these blessings from God because of Mary most holy!

From Genesis to revelation!

First promise of salvation!

Gen 3:15
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Total war: enmity

None of satans works are found in Mary, she belongs entirely to God!
Even consecration herself to God at a very young age.

Isa 7:14

1 kings 2: 17 And he said, Speak, I pray thee, unto Solomon the king, (for he will not say thee nay,) that he give me Abishag the Shunammite to wife.

18 And Bathsheba said, Well; I will speak for thee unto the king.

19 Bathsheba therefore went unto king Solomon, to speak unto him for Adonijah. And the king rose up to meet her, and bowed himself unto her, and sat down on his throne, and caused a seat to be set for the king's mother; and she sat on his right hand.

20 Then she said, I desire one small petition of thee; I pray thee, say me not nay. And the king said unto her, Ask on, my mother: for I will not say thee nay.

2 Tim 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

2 Tim 2: 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. How much more Mary who was prepared by God thru the immaculate conception! Lk 1:49

Heb 2:7

Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands

Rev12:1 woman clothed with the sun.

Mary is the great sign of the divinity of Christ!

Isa 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Matt 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Lk 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Lk 2:35
a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

Matt 27:54
Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

Jn 2:3
And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

Jn 2:11
This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

Rev 12:1
And there appeared a great sign in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

Rev 12:5
And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

A good tree!

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The fruit of the tree of Mary is our salvation! Lk 2:30 Jesus is our salvation!
Lk 1:30 Mary found our salvation!

Mother of Divine Grace!

Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

The throne of Grace is the throne of Mary the ever Virgin mother of God!

We come boldly to this throne cause Mary is our mother and advocate!

Mary is the storehouse of divine graces!

Lk 1:28
And the angel entered to her, and said, Hail Mary, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed be thou among women.

Salvation is to be found with Mary!
Jesus Christ is our salvation! Lk 2:30
He is Lord, and He is with Mary! Lk 1:28
Mary found our salvation! Lk 1:30
Consented to our salvation! Lk 1:38

Queen of heaven
In the line of david’s kingdom the mother of the king is always queen
Jesus is king Lk 1:32-33
And king of heaven so Mary is queen of heaven

A Royal greeting!

Lk 1:28 is the only place in the Bible where such a greeting takes place!
Mary is of the tribe of Judah and the royal house of David the king!

God himself is greeting Mary thru the instrument of the angel Gabriel!

This is a Royal greeting of the queen of heaven and earth! Queen of the angels and saints! Mary is of the house of king David!

In the line of king David the mother of the king is the queen, as Jesus Christ is the king of heaven and earth and the angels and saints so Mary is the queen of the same! Lk 1:32-33

Lk 1:28 And the angel entered to her, and said, Hail, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed be thou among women.
29 And when she had heard, she was troubled in his word, and thought what manner salutation this was.
30 And the angel said to her, Dread thou not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God.

Mary is queen in rev 12:1 and heb 4:16
Mother of divine grace

Mary is our spiritual mother

Mary is the Mother of the living in Christ and the new creation!

Genesis 3:20
And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

John 19:26-27
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith has he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus is not just asking John to care for His mother, if so He would have said so.

Jesus is in the very least making Mary John’s spiritual mother! And if the apostle John needs a spiritual mother so do we!
What is the family of God without a mother? The mother is the heart of the family! Jesus said I will not leave you orphans! Jn 14:18 He proved Mary the mother of one disciple then He does so for all disciples!

As eve was the mother of all the living in the first creation, gen 3:20 so Mary is the mother of all those who live in Christ and the new creation!

Rev 12:17 our spiritual mother!

Rachel is spiritual mother of Israel!
A type of Mary as spiritual mother of Christians!

The 12 sons of Jacob have 4 biological mothers, but Rachel is the spiritual mother of all Israel!

Matt 2:18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are no more.

Ark of the new covenant!
The dwelling place of God!
God dwelt in Mary’s womb for 9 months, remember the ark was incorruptible wood covered with pure gold signifying Mary’s immaculate purity!
read exodus or any place in the Old Testament where something came into contact with God or was consecrated to the service of God it had to be pure and Holy!
In the ark was the word of God!
In Mary the new ark is the living Word!
In the ark was the mana!
In Mary was the bread come down from heaven! Jn 6
Bethlehem means house to of bread!

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, (Isa 7:14) and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Holy mother of God!

Lk 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
This strange obsession with virginity is one of the most disturbing things about Catholicism. It’s near the top of the list of warped notions that have driven so much mistreatment of women over the centuries.

jimb

Premium Member
This strange obsession with virginity is one of the most disturbing things about Catholicism. It’s near the top of the list of warped notions that have driven so much mistreatment of women over the centuries.

The "strange obsession" is a excellent description of "Marianismo", a Hispanic term that describes the epitome of true femininity. It makes Mary into a perfect woman, thereby showing that every woman in Latin culture is a failure because they are not like her.

Anne1

I have no idea what you're talking about. There has been, and always will be, only one Christianity.
Hi, I was responding to an earlier post which suggested that Mary was a God, equal to God himself. I agree that there is only one Christianity.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And Mary was not the ideal mother either. She lost track of her young son for several days after leaving Jerusalem.
Jesus was always quick ─ in all four gospels, ─ to remind her that he didn't like her much.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
How does that incident mean she was not a good mom? Are you under the impression that nothing bad ever happens of you are a good parent? You can take your kid to the park, and sit on the bench reading a book while they play, look up, and some pedo has taken them.

From the Catholics I have spoken to, the things that make Mary special are:
1. She was the first and best Christian (remember they do not believe she sinned).
2. She said "Yes" to God, making his "plan for salvation" possible.